No response...really?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by acl1974, Sep 6, 2013.

1. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Sep 6, 2013

I have read on here that a number of you have gone on interviews and didn't hear back. I find that so ridiculously rude! I understand if schools struggle with getting back to all the people who applied, but they should get back to the people they interviewed. I had this happen to me. They said they would be in touch. I waited over a week, sent a short, polite follow-up email to see if the position was filled and still haven't heard back. I get it. They're all very busy, but they have to realize the anxiety that goes with interviewing and waiting. They tried to get jobs at one point too.
    Anyway, I've done all I can do with that opportunity. I'm really just venting. I promise that my next post will be super positive.

3. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2013

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 6, 2013

Both of my last 2 interviews told us up front we would not hear back unless it was positive and they had strict guidelines for the time frame. One was that evening by 5 and the other was by Friday. If they give me a time frame and TELL me I will not hear back, I'm OK. It is the ones that don't say that and don't follow up that tick me off!

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 6, 2013

I never forget the first interview I went on. I had to drive 9 hours, actually go out of state, rent a car and spend the night in a hotel (sleep 4 hours), interview lasted almost 2 hours, right after interview I started to drive back, and it took me another 9 hours. (+ 2 more, because I had to take a nap right on the side of the freeway, otherwise I wouldn't have made it back).
    The P was friendly, awesome, I felt comfortable, we had a good vibe. I thought for sure I had the job. He interviewed 5 people, I was the last one and he said I was the strongest candidate.
    He gave me a definite day to make a decision...

And never heard a word from him. He only had 1 job offer and 4 rejection calls to make, all of us drove from very far.

However, the following week I got a call for an interview, took it, went and got the job, and I'm so incredibly happy here. Not a week goes by that I think about the other job. I would have hated the location, but would have taken the job out of desperation. It's a blessing that they didn't chose me.
    Yes, it would have been nicer if they called me to tell me, but 'no answer is your answer'. If they want you, they call you, otherwise assume thy don't and move on. Easier said than done, but that's just how it is :(

6. acl1974

acl1974 Companion

Sep 6, 2013

I would be good with that. If they said they would only get back to me if it was good news and told me a time frame for that news, I would at least know when that time passed. It would be like receiving an answer.

7. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Sep 6, 2013

I absolutely hate that! Like giraffe said, if the schools TOLD me they would only call with positive news, that would be fine but I've always been told "You'll hear from me either way!" I've only heard back from 2 principals who rejected me, and I made sure to tell them that I really appreciated them getting back to me.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

There was one time when I was interviewing teachers, and it was a tough choice between our top 2 teachers. The principal eventually decided on #1, called her, and she accepted the job. He asked me to call and tell the others that they hadn't gotten the job.

When I called #2, I made a point of telling him that I wouldn't be surprised if #1's old school found out sometime soon that they had an opening, and that this would be a very good time to drop off his resume.

While he didn't get the job in my school, he really DID appreciate the heads up.

What happened after that, I have no idea.

9. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Sep 7, 2013

Unfortunately I've had this happen to me a few times this summer while interviewing. A few, I followed up with, others I did not. One I called the principal about and the secretary took a message and I never heard anything back......Frustrating. Now I'm still waiting to hear back from an interview I had a week ago and I have 2 more interviews on Monday. Hopefully they will be more courteous.

10. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

Ya know, I really think some principal's forget what it was like when they were starting out and interviewing for jobs! I think it is so rude and unprofessional when they do not get back to you. I, too, have had experiences when principals have not gotten back to me after they said they would and it was tough---I needed that closure, ya know?

On the other hand, I interviewed with a principal this summer who did not have any positions at the time, but was being proactive because she was anticipating some teachers not coming back from childcare leave. Anyway, she told me that I would not hear from her for a few weeks and that if I did not hear from her by the end of August, that I should send her an email just to check in. I ended up contacting her and the anticipated positions did not open up, but she said that she would love to contact me if something did. I thought it was really great of her to tell me to contact her and to give a timeframe, so I was prepared to wait the 4 weeks to hear a response and that she actually took the time to respond even when the positions did not become available.

It goes to show how different people are and what they value. Honestly, I don't think that I would want to work for someone who could not be bothered to shoot an email or make a simple phone call.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2013

I agree that it's impolite and infuriating.

But, to give a tiny little benefit of the doubt...

At this point in the year, a principal who is still interviewing is already way behing the 8 ball. I think that, as of Monday, every school in the country should already be in session. So I imagine that some principals, who would have been the epitome of professional courtesy in May, are now rushing to put out another fire once they've found the right person for the job. It's not that they wouldn't choose to reply, simply that at this particular point in the year, they're just too busy to remember to do so.

Remember, they didn't choose to wait until September to begin those interviews. The vast majority of those openings are the result of teachers who said they were coming back but, for one reason or another, changed their minds at the last minute. Or because of parents who chose not to register their kids for the last minute for some reason.

No help to those people waiting for phone calls, I know.

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 7, 2013

There is absolutely no excuse for it. I've seen it said here that "Well, admins get busy." Yes, they do. I get busy too, but I can't use the "I'm busy" excuse to get out of following up with a parent, for example. And how long does a brief call, email, or form letter in the mail really take. Hmm...Let me time myself and try it.

Thank you very much for your interest in our school. It was a pleasure meeting you. Unfortunely, we have selected another candidate. Best of luck on your continued job search.

CLICK. SEND.

15 seconds.

ETA - Alice - I didn't read your response before writing my own. You are such a kind person and obviously work for people who conduct themselves very professionally. However, that's not always the case. When I was job hunting, I went on interviews in April, May, June, and July - months before the following school year - and usually did not get any kind of notification if I didn't get the job. If I did hear anything, it was usually a postcard in the mail over a month later. One time, no joke, it was 4 months later. :confused:

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 7, 2013

I always found it was better to NOT expect anything (rejection call, letter, etc) than to wait around for it. What's the point. If you were hired you would hear about it. Any time I went on an interview that went well I still kept all my other interviews and kept applying elsewhere just in case they never called me back. I did admire the schools who sent post cards or letters telling me that they had chosen another candidate. I do think that was considerate of them and was always surprised when I got it in the mail.

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 7, 2013

I don't know how everyone else feels when they're looking for a job, but I know that after an interview I'm on pins and needles waiting to find out. This is a major life event - getting a job or not. That someone would just go ahead and fill the position and not even take a minute out of their day to let me know as I sit and wait is so unfair. A candidate shouldn't have to slowly come to accept it as the days go by with no word. S/he should have courtesy of some quick correspondence as soon as possible.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 7, 2013

There have been 9999 threads about this topic and people are still surprised/angry when they don't hear back. It is probably an accepted practice for many schools not to contact people if they are not hired (yes, even if they promise to do so).Yes, it is definitely not considerate but nothing I can do will MAKE them act any differently so I just go about my business. If I had only 1 day to accept a position but was waiting to hear from a school I might call or email asking to be updated but unless it's a dire emerency that I find out right away I just let it go. Seriously, there's nothing you can do if they "forget" to contact you. I just found it easier to expect not to hear back unless I was selected.

I honestly feel for everyone. I have been there, done that, bought the t-shirt. I have worked 3 jobs at one point waiting to be hired as a teacher. We didn't have cell phones back then so I just had to wait until I got home to see if anyone left a message. If they didn't, then they didn't. I don't know what else to say but keep applying, going on interviews, and keep a positive attitude.

16. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

I was supposed to get a call sometime last week. Nothing. It really does frustrate me. Don't tell me to expect a call if it doesn't happen.

17. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Sep 7, 2013

I resent how professional courtesy is all too often a one way street. A hiring committee can fail to inform you of a rejection, even after you have taken the time to prepare and to meet them in person (which usually involves missing time from work).

But Lord help you if you make a misstep or a breach of ettiquette during the process.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 7, 2013

It works the other way, too!

After my first interview, I was a wreck waiting around to hear if I got the job. I was thinking that I had a great chance of getting it since I'd subbed over 100 days at the school the previous year.

When I hadn't heard from them in over a week, I decided that I didn't get the job. I ran into someone who was on the interview committee who congratulated me on joining the staff. I had no idea what they were talking about. Turns out that I was the ONLY person they interviewed for the job, and nobody realized that I didn't know that.

Sometimes things just slip through the cracks.

19. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Sep 8, 2013

It is frustrating. >.<; I have had this happen to me countless times. The most polite principal I interviewed with though actually called me back and checked into a high school assistant position for me, but then called back for a 3rd time, "The position was filled there too, I thought I would try, you seemed like a great candidate to work in our schools." I really wish they would at least give me a time frame and to expect if I don't get a call/anything after that date that I am so out of luck.

20. kmeteach

kmeteach Companion

Sep 8, 2013

I can understand if there are a lot of people being interviewed for the position and there may be no time to inform everyone, but I do find it rude when I am told I will definitely hear back no matter what the outcome is, and I don't hear anything.

I went on an interview a few weeks ago on a Tuesday, and was told I would hear from them on Friday. Well, about 3 Fridays have passed since then and I don't expect to hear anything this late. It's disappointing, yes, but I would feel a hundred times worse if I was currently unemployed or subbing. Because I've been in that situation where I'm sitting at home waiting anxiously by the phone or computer for news, and get nothing in return.

21. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Sep 9, 2013

This is really a sign of the times. SO many applicants for very few jobs. It's too bad it is such an "Employers Market" out there. In the past the employees vs. employers where both more on equal footing, or sometimes the power was more in the employee's hands. Fifteen years ago, when the class sizes where reduced, school systems had a hard time filling teaching positions. Many teachers were hired with no formal training in teaching, only a bachelors degree. Nowadays the employer has all the power which leaves us job hunters with few options and complicated/time consuming online applications to fill out with few if any responses. I am not sure if it will change. It's so hard to take the time and energy (and stress) to prepare for an interview, go into the interview, send thank you emails, and come home waiting for a response, never to hear back. It's very rude! Even a short email would do wonders.

22. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Sep 9, 2013

I totally agree with you on this. It is an employer's market. Some of the requirements I've seen for even LTS jobs are ridiculous (must be bilingual or fluent in 3 languages, must have 8 years experience, etc.) because they can. Same goes with Applitrack/other job applications. And yes, even a short email or 30 second phone call would calm my nerves!

23. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Sep 9, 2013

Yes! Even a little email that says, sorry you have not be selected, or we are still interviewing, or some type of update. It's always a roller coaster thinking about how your life will change if you do get the job. What time to get up, what will the commute be like, will I have time to make lesson plans, ect... It's like your mind goes through a 100 questions. It would be nice to hear something back. Even one sentence would do wonders.

I have been on a couple of interviews this summer. One I only had an hour and a half to prepare. The principal called me and said can you come in for an interview today? Be here by 1:30. It was 12. I was still in my PJ's. I had to shower, dress, print resumes, cover letters, and get my other stuff together. Plus the school was a 35 minute drive and it was raining, hard! I got to the interview, a little frazzled, and thought I did an OK job. I sent a thank you the next day and never heard back from them. Nothing.... Crazy.

24. want2teachsoon

want2teachsoon Rookie

Sep 9, 2013

From what people have told me. Principals and administrators know who they will hire way before the interviews. Since public schools are run by the government they have to call in a certain amount of people to interview. While I am looking for work now and I am a female I have found that I have always been hired when a male either makes the final decision or there is a male principal. I have also noticed that when an HR person or principal walks you to the front door of a building then you usually have the job. What I have always read the statement, "We'll call you either way" to read is......We have someone else in mind but we don't have the guts or time to let you know.
    Once I drove 3.5 hours to another state and then I had to sit in front of 20 people. The vice principal decided then and there to see if I am bilingual. She gave me a question that was of no grammatical sense whatsoever. She knew the rest of the staff would no know she was doing this. It is illegal to test someone's language background like that. 2 weeks later I sent the administrator in HR an email to see what happened. Yeah, I knew I did not get the job but he said, "Oh, we filled the position." It stayed open for 5 more months and then school ended.
    Back 5 years ago I would get some interviews. If I could do it all again I would go to a state that has little competition. When I was young and single I really did not want to live in Alaska though.

25. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Sep 10, 2013

I wish I could just randomly go to a state with little competition sometimes and just experience new things, but I'm not sure if there are any states where there are people who need paras for special ed. That's where my experience lies. >.<;

At least I know I'm not the only one waiting in suspense to hear nothing? It makes me feel better...just a little bit.

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Sep 10, 2013

I don't think any of this is true.
    I don't think it's as simple as a male principal preferring a female teacher - I would not want to work at a school like that. Wait, he hired me to teach or because he wants something else from me?
    Schools don't always now who they want to hire, sometimes they might and still have to interview others for legal reasons, but in my opinion the majority of them interview people to find the best one.

As far them walking you to the door - that's just someone's style. On one interview the P gave me a tour of the school which lasted an hour. Took me to every single classroom, introduced to every single person (not only teachers) and said that I was the strongest candidate. Never heard from him. My current P gave me an interview that lasted 20 minutes, I felt it was impersonal (3 people sitting there), didn't think I did well, and they hired me.

27. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Sep 11, 2013

Yup, I've had both experiences too. Well the interview for the current job I was offered wasn't impersonal but the woman didn't ask me a lot of questions and the ones she asked were kind of strange...so I thought "oh ****, not again!" Then she hired me on the spot! :lol:

28. LITeachTeach

LITeachTeach Rookie

Sep 14, 2013

I went through 3 rounds of interviews in a district including a 2 hour demo and a 30 minute grilling by the assistant superintendent. The asst supt said she'd call that evening either way, but she didn't. I followed up by phone and email and heard nothing. Checked the board agenda and they hired someone else, but this really struck me the wrong way. It's only the 2nd time I heard absolutely nothing from a job. First time was for a LTS job when I had a screening interview. Emailed principal twice and heard nothing...