No Respect for Classified Staff

Discussion in 'General Education' started by JustMe, Nov 3, 2012.

1. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

My school keeps all doors locked until 7:30, although employees need to be there a little before that time. The other day I am heading in and see someone outside waiting by the door in the very cold rain. Turns out to be an assistant. I didn't realize it until then, but every day classified staff must wait outside until a certified staff member lets them in as they come in themselves. I found that to be very disrespectful. It made me feel...I don't know, embarrassed or something. :unsure:

If administration feels the person is trustworthy enough to work in the school, he or she needs a way in the building so they don't have to wait for someone else to come inside.

How is this handled at your school?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2012

It's the opposite at my school. Support staff are trusted with building keys but teachers are not.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

Why is that?

5. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Nov 3, 2012

All staff members have a school issued ID, which also is a keyless entry card into the building. The only people I am unsure of if they have a key card are cafeteria staff, although I am almost positive that they do. I just can't remember ever seeing one of them use it because they come later in the morning than classroom staff. It is sad that someone employed at a school wouldn't have the same access as other employees.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

I think it's tough to get in before 6:30 am, although I have never tried. We actually have police who guard the school, and there is always someone at the school 24/7. After 6:30 a.m., you can walk in with your credential. You pass it through and once read, it will open the gate. All staff have a credential that opens the gate, so it doesn't matter who you are.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

That's essentially what we have as well.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2012

All faculty and staff at my building have keyless cards to get in.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2012

A few years ago, a coach gave his keys to a student so that the student could get into the building after hours for the senior prank. The "prank" was basically just a lot of vandalism.

That very day, the building locks were changed and no teachers were given keys. It's been the same ever since.

Because our campus is an open design, the main office is sort of its own building. This means that if someone forgets to unlock the doors for us lowly teachers in the morning, we have no way of checking our mailboxes, picking up copies, or even going to the bathroom. I've given up trying to fight that battle. It's just not even worth it. At this point administration knows what a hassle it is for teachers to not have keys to the office, and they seem to just not care.

10. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Nov 3, 2012

JustMe, I've been through that before at another school when I was not a certified teacher. Apparently the school only had so many electronic keys so they gave them to the teachers

If this policy has nothing to do with keys, then that says a lot about your administrators.

11. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 3, 2012

All classified staff at our school have keys to get into the building. How embarrassing that your school treats the classified employees like the kids. Can this be brought up at a staff meeting or other district level meeting?

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

Wow! It doesn't seem to punish all teachers for the mistake of one teacher. That's really too bad.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

I already put a note in the "Suggestions" box in the office, but it was pretty dusty...not sure it's checked. I'll keep an eye on it.

14. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Nov 3, 2012

This.

15. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Nov 3, 2012

Our custodians unlock all building doors at 6:30 am, and will open classrooms if you ask and they recognize you.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 3, 2012

Every adult who works in the building has a key that will get us in to one particular door, all classrooms and the faculty lounge.

17. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

Our is somewhat the opposite too. Some of the classified staff have keys because they need to be in the building earlier/later than teachers (like custodians or kitchen staff because we serve breakfast). None of the teachers have keys. I'm really not sure why, but honestly I don't care- at least there's no pressure to be there on weekends, because we can't!

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 3, 2012

At my schools, certificated & classified staff have keys.

19. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Nov 3, 2012

Mine too. My school's 6th & 7th graders are housed in a modular (trailer) behind the main buiding. Outside of the Principals, only one Staff Support person has a key to get in the mod. Since the door locks each time it closes, if someone is not in the modular at at all times, one of us has to go find the Staff Support person to open the door and this drives us crazy!

We have to walk our MS kids to lunch, gym, art, technology and anywhere else they have to go in the main building which means there are often times when there are no adults left in the mod to open the door. Also, there are no printers/copiers in the modular so during our Plan, we have to go to the main building to get stuff done; I have wasted 20 minutes of my Plan outside waiting for someone to open the door to get back in the mod. Not to mention, we also have to wait for someone in the office to open the main building's back door when we are coming from the mod. Even worse, my classroom in the mod is closest to the door and it appears that I am the only one who can hear when people are knocking, so I am constantly leaving my classroom to go open the door.

We can't prop the door open because the main building houses our 8-12 graders as well as 2 other schools. And there is no covering over the walkway from the mod to the main building so we are just standing out there in the rain/cold. Sucks.

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 3, 2012

Just a handful of people have keys to our building.

21. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 3, 2012

Only the janitors have building keys, but they have the place open by 5:30 am (I got there that early once :)).

22. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Nov 3, 2012

All staff members have keys to the buildings that they work in. We have multiple buildings on two different campuses.

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Nov 3, 2012

Our day custodian arrives at 6:00 a.m. or so. I arrive a 6:30. The office is unlocked by then, and I can sign in. The teacher's lounge is also open. I'm not sure what time the cafeteria staff starts arriving (earlier than 6, because we also serve breakfast), but the cafeteria manager has a key to that building. We have wings that are connected only by covered breezeways - a common design in the late 40s and early 1950s. Each teacher/staff member has a key to his or her room only. If we need to get into a locked room, we have to wait for the person who occupies it (or the custodian, if he knows we have permission).

24. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Nov 4, 2012

To my knowledge eveyone has a key card. We can only use the key card if Building Maintenance is already at school. Otherwise, the alarm is set off.

The other day I sent my kiddos out for an extra recess with a sub, I gave her my card key, which was with my classroom keys. She needed to be able to get back into the building with the kids. She forgot to give me my keys back. I didn't realize it until I got ready to leave for the day. Luckily she's a regular sub & was back the next day.

25. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Nov 4, 2012

And I, Punchanella wanna be a funny fella, I Punchanella, Punchanella Fi-ga-lo!

26. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 4, 2012

At our schools the key issue is not based on 'rank', it's based on practicality. Teachers and long term subs have their own keys. TAs don't, because they're hourly, so they have to sign in and out every day anyways. Subs don't, because they're not there all the time, permanently. Even though often I'm in one place for 4-6 weeks, I don't get a key, but it's not really an issue for me.
    Office staff has key, because they're the ones to open the office.

27. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Nov 4, 2012

None of us are allowed in the school before 7:30 am. No one except the custodians and principals have a key. This is the first school that I have been at that didn't allow the teachers to have a key. This means we can't go in on the weekends, etc. I heard it was because teachers were being careless and leaving doors unlocked. Who knows?

28. ATXMusic

ATXMusic Rookie

Nov 5, 2012

No teachers have keys of any sort at my school. We don't have keys to the building, our classrooms, or to the locked desk drawers in the classrooms. When asked about it, my P me told that that not even he has a key, though this seems unlikely. Apparently the only people with keys on campus are the security guard and his assistant.

29. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2012

Some schools seem to treat employees like criminals. I am thankful that in both schools, we could come and go as we please. I have keys to the office, all classrooms, and various other areas.

30. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2012

Every employee in the building has a key to all classrooms in the wing they work in, faculty bathrooms, the faculty lounges, and the building. I can't imagine it being any other way--I rarely use the key to the main entrance because it's always open when I go in, but it's at least necessary for every employee to have classroom,restroom, and lounge keys.

31. greendream

greendream Cohort

Nov 5, 2012

Yep, mine too. We have to stand in the cold and rain until someone can finally hear us knocking. It sucks.

32. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Nov 5, 2012

Our support staff have codes to enter our buildings. It's the same as teachers. The support staff does not have keys to any of the rooms though (only teachers, custodians, and secretaries have keys).

33. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Nov 5, 2012

At one school I have been in for 27 years I have a magic key that opens almost every door on campus. I guard it with my life. My other school I have one to the side door and my room. I can go in anytime I need.