No progess on re-eval

Discussion in 'General Education' started by wldywall, Mar 29, 2008.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2008

I have one informal observation and a couple of walk throughs (and one contractually illegal eavesdropping observation :eek:) and I have yet to recieve one word, ONE WORD, on what this new principal thinks about my performance. She has not even told me the names of the teachers she wanted me to observe, nor set up those observations! (I guess I will have to do that myself!)

The contract says that I am supposed to be told by May 1st if I will be rehired and I they have to tell me so many days before hand if I will be rehired, and well, I don't see how I have time to make any more changes. I expect to be non-renewed and I have already decided that while it will be career suicide I will take the non-renewal and not resign, I need the unemployment. I have no choice.

I was cleaning a cabinet tonight and found the folder of the things I did in student teaching that got me such high praise, its not really different than what I am doing now. I found the picks of those studnets and I just cried. Just two years ago I was finishing student teaching with such hope, such excitement that I had finally done what I had been planning my whole life. Today, I know that the end of that career that I wanted so much is almost over and it breaks my heart.

I just have no hope anymore than I can do anything to fix this. I have tried so hard, my students at the new school like me, and they request to take my classes. They all think I am cool, I don't yell at them, I rarely get frustrated with them and I laugh with them, a lot. I tell them they are there to reach a goal and it is my job to help them, they like that. One student is trying so hard to pass for me, and herself. I have told another she failed my class this year, I won't let her leave this year having failed again. She knows I mean it (doesn't mean she always likes it!)

I'm not giving up I will go down fighting, but I don't know what kind of fight this is, and I feel so unprepared.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

I'm so sorry you are having a rough time:( My district mandates at least 3 observations for non-tenures, but I had a really hard time with my last principal. She actually threatened to not rehire me for a stupid reason. I got my union president ready to be involved. He was great through everything. I had to put up with her for another year afterwards, but now she's been fired and I have tenure!

My advice: get your union involved. You have rights and if they aren't doing what they are supposed to do (such as evaluations, etc) then its not your fault. Good luck with everything!

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2008

The union is involved all the way to the state level, I haven't heard from the union rep in a long time. That is the main reason I am panicking!

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 29, 2008

Don't panic too much yet. See if you can contact the union rep again. Make sure you keep everything documented and try to stay calm (easier said than done I'm sure!).

6. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Mar 30, 2008

In my district, non-tenured teachers must be observed three times a year. They can be scheduled or unscheduled. After each observation, the administrator writes up an evaluation and then meets with the teacher in their office to go over the eval and both parties sign it. Didn't you have to sign your evaluations?

This seems odd that they did not talk to you after the observations...to me that sounds more good than bad. Maybe they like what you are doing and have no suggestions.

7. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2008

We are to have three observations and two formal evaluations, we only sign the formal evaluations. However I am on a "plan" from my last principal (a stupid plan that doesn't even reflect what goes on in my classroom) so I am running out of time before the next re-evlauation, If I don't get an all satisfactory then I am fired, plain and simple. But without suggestions or anything how do I know I am giving them what I want? This is what happened at the last school and when that bonehead came back to obeserve me it said it was worse than last time (an outright lie, the first time was a terrible day, worst day of teaching in my life, the second time the students were well behaved and engaged in the lesson) So I'm worried that I am going to be blindsided again so they can just fire me and not follow contractual rules.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2008

Why don't you take your plan book and calendar to the principal's office and sit with her and book some possible times that she can come and observe you. Hopefully, she will think that you show initiative.

9. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Mar 30, 2008

Is it possible to have a union rep. accompany the P. during the observation? That way the P. can't make a mountain out of a mole hill.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2008

She hasn't announced any of her observations and the formal eval she has to tell me about in advance and I don't know about that either. As for plan book etc, well I won't have a meeting with any principal without union representation due to how badly the one time I did it at the old school went, I won't open myself up for things to be used against me.

Just curious, how far ahead do you guys plan??? I try to plan ahead a week or so, and never end up with plans laid out for two days at a time. Nothing ever works out quite like I want it too, so I am always tweaking. (most of the time it is finding the kids don't have a basic skill they should have so I make time to go over it)

I always wondered how people plan that far ahead, I mean is it a general idea or complete word for word lesson plans? The night before I always go over my plans, the instructions, the worksheets etc to make sure it will all work and make changes if I have to....to plan ahead more would be nice.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 30, 2008

I usually plan weekly. Teaching sp. ed. sometimes things I think they would understand, they don't and some things that should only take 30 minutes may end up taking 1.5 hours (I have a lot of students with OCD, so things have to be perfect).

Starting this week, I am going to start planning on Wednesday so that I could have Thurs. and Fri. to prep. rather than trying to get everything for Mon. ready on that morning and then getting everything else together Tues. and Wed because I am tired after schoool on Monday and I just want to go home after school.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2008

wldy- I have to agree with the suggestion that you take some initiative here. Ask a union rep what times they have available that match your schedule- then go to the principal's secretary and ask for an appointment in one of those time slots.

I plan weekly with a general idea of where I am going with units for the month.

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 30, 2008

I tend to plan a week ahead, but I keep in mind that I can always tweak things since my plans are just that- a plan. Mine aren't word for word, they are just a guideline of the activity, assessment, homework, and materials. I actually type mine.

I agree with the others that it might be a good time to try and meet with your principal. It's better to be prepared and show initiative than to sit around and wait, thinking something bad will happen. Show your principal that you are great! :)

14. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2008

I do not know if this is a viable option but why not look into private schools. In a private school, you can pretty much run your classroom like you want to. I hated the rules in the public school that I taught at. I also resented that there were teachers that they had to keep because they are tenured but did absolutely nothing in the classroom. I, on the other hand worked my butt off in my classroom trying to teach students that did not want to learn and the bozo across the hall was guarenteed a job as long as he wanted it. He graded his students on bring food. He had a refrigerator, microwave, and an electric fry pan in his classroom. Everyday a student was assigned to bring food and in 1st block they cooked breakfast, 3rd block was lunch, and 4th block was a snack. The administration knew what was going on but said that their hands were tied. I do argee with some of the other posters that you should take the initiative and set up a meeting with your principal. Good Luck!!

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Mar 30, 2008

The idea is good, but there are no jobs here as it is, but in my county the private school jobs are so very hard to get. There is a lot of competetion to get into those schools and it really depends on who you know, etc. The last time one of them hired teachers was a few years ago, heck they even pay good!

I will meet with the principal, I always planned on it. However I will not do it alone, and it will likely wait until after our spring break. It is more likely then that I can get it put together. (its hard to plan meetings when my building doesn't have prep periods)

16. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Mar 30, 2008

Hang in there. If worst comes to worse you can still get hired after taking a non-renewal. My best friend did. She took a look at the low area of her eval (and yah she had one of those nasty P's so none of her evals were really fair) and she took a class or 2 in those areas so her future employer could see that she was trying to improve. She even got hired even though our county required the last principal give a reference even if its horrid. I know up there is hard to find a job but there are a lot of places looking for teachers. Don't give up!!!!!

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 30, 2008

I don't have any advice, but I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and I hope everything works out. Chin up, you'll get through this.

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 31, 2008

wldywall, I'm sorry that this situation doesn't seem like its getting better. I'm glad that you are not meeting anyone w/o union representation. :hugs:

BTW, leighball, happy birthday!

19. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Mar 31, 2008

If things are as bleak as you think, then you have nothing to lose by asking to speak to an administrator with or without a union representative (it might be better without in terms of making your meeting seem more casual). I'd just say, "I don't mean to be impolite, but my jobs means a lot to me and I am very worried. I must receive all positives on my final evaluation to keep my job. As a courtesy could you please let me know if it's likely I won't be hired back? If that's the case, I really need to get my affairs in order to look after my family. I know you can't make me any promises, but if it doesn't look good, I'd really appreciate knowing that sooner than later."

But if deep down you think there's a good chance you'll be hired back, then I probably wouldn't do this unless you have a very good relationship with an administrator.

This is happening at my school too. I don't know if it's having a new AP or pressure from above, but a teacher who's been at the school longer than I has been placed on probation, and today the AP told me she would like to "send a teacher" to observe my "outstanding teaching" and that she would "have the teacher visit" at such and such time. By the wording it sounded like this would be forcing one of my colleagues to observe me, not just arranging a practicum student visit or something like that (and I think if it had been to arrange for a first year teacher from another school to observe, which the county requires, she would have just said so). I really hope this isn't the case as that would be awkward. I can only imagine how much resentment my colleague would feel, especially if it's the woman who has been teaching longer than I.

20. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2008

Well principal came in again today, and she was in all of one class yesterday, and a few other times this week. I stopped her before she left and asked her about the lack of feedback. Well she told me that she hasn't given me any because she hasn't had any suggetions. She has been impressed with what I have been doing in class. She was particuarlly impressed with a lesson I did yesterday in Psych class and the fact that all the students were involved in an indepth well thought out discussion and when she found out it led into todays lesson of the id, ego, and superego she was even more impressed. She has even been asking students what they think about me and they all like me, which also makes her impressed. Her only concern is the plan is written regarding large classes and cannot show that my classroom management (which also impresses her) with small groups will apply to large ones. (I think the few new things I am doing will definatly work, if they will work with these stubborn kids....)

I still have no idea when the re-eval will be, nor if her being impressed with me means I will get that perfect eval that I need to keep my job, but jeez wouldn't it be great.....then the plan goes away and I am free (I won't be able to be moved next year either way, so I keep the principal that I like till almost tenure time)

Keep me in your thoughts folks, I just may save my job (and my house, my car, etc ) after all.

21. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2008

It's great to hear how impressed she is with you! It sounds like she wants to keep you around, and if that's so she will make it happen. She's in charge of writing your evaluation. If I was a P. and had a teacher I loved I wouldn't let her go on a technicality.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2008

This sounds promising!!

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Apr 3, 2008

wldywall, that's fantastic! Hate to say it but, "told ya' so!" In all honesty, I fully understand your anxiety about the perfect evaluation, but all anxiety will do is make you ill. You need to look for the good things each day. You are getting through to your students. They actually like you. You are and impressive and caring teacher. All that and more! I know, I know, it's much harder to do than to say -- I'm guilty of the same thing myself. Ain't it much easier to critique other people's problems than your own? Anyway, this is a "told ya so" that I don't mind having given! :hugs:

24. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 4, 2008

Well that is great! Keep up the hard work! You will be in my thoughts and prayers! I hope everything goes well. You seem like such an awesome dedicated teacher from all of the posts I read written by you. You obviously care and that is very important! Best wishes!