No Portfolio, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CaliforniaGold, Jan 17, 2011.

1. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

Jan 17, 2011

Hi,

I do not have a portfolio. I student taught in 2006 and 2008, finished the credential in 2009, and began subbing for one school last Nov. I have been at home with my kids, and I feel a little silly putting things from years ago when I student taught in a portfolio. I do sub now, not sure how that could fit into a portfolio that shows student work and such.

What do you think?

3. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jan 17, 2011

It's not silly. Those are your creative ideas and evidence that the students learned what your objectives were, and that you taught an effective lesson.

There is so much more to put in a port. besides student work. Student work is kind of a small portion of mine because I think all teachers have great lessons. So to stand out, let your portfolio focus more on you and your strengths, community activities, rapport you established, quotes or letters from students/parents/teachers, concrete examples of any unique & inspiring achievements from ST or subbing, academic distinctions, your technology proficiency, other talents you have that you can incorporate into everyday teaching and so on.

Those are just some of the things in my portfolio. And of course, always tie in how your talents will directly benefit students at all times.