"No pet" area?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by lucybelle, Sep 3, 2015.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2015

I live in urban apartments and there's a green area (not quite a park) across the street where I always take my dog in the evenings as a quick right before bed bathroom break. Today we went out and there is a brand new "no pets" sign. I'm fairly certain that it's because not everyone picks up after their pet and the area, although part of my apartment complex, is rented for offices.

My question is- can you even do something like this? Just not allow pets in an open area? I mean if my dog is on a leash I should be able to take her anywhere, right? I guess it's private property, but it's part of the property that I pay my rent to, I even pay an extra dog rent every month. It's not like someone's backyard.

I plan to continue to take my dog there at nighttime. A- no one is ever there and B- I clean up after my dog so it shouldn't be an issue!! But has anyone heard of this before?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2015

As part of your complex, the management can set the rules. Even if you 'scoop', urine kills grass. Is there no where else you can walk your dog?

4. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Sep 4, 2015

You are a renter, so yes, they can do that.

If you were a homeowner, you would be a part of an association that sets the rules. I think a public place can restrict dogs and a private place definitely can.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 4, 2015

That's too bad! I guess you'll have to find other places to go. When I still had my dog, my complex doesn't have any actual pet area, so people would just walk their dogs along the walking paths w/i the complex to take them to the bathroom, but there were dispensers with clean-up bags in various places.

Changing the subject slightly, it's just like how people usually assume that they can take their dogs to OUTDOOR shopping malls, which is usually true since it's outdoors. I've done it. The thing is some stores are more anal than others when it comes to taking your dog IN the actual stores. I could go to a Nordstrom in my area & they'll ask me to at least pick him up (or have him in a stroller), but I could go to a Nordstrom in this other, more upscale outdoor mall I go to in this beach city where a lot more people take their dogs w/ them & I see people walking their dogs in Nordstrom & all the other stores all the time. The malls/stores in that area know that they'll lose too much business if they try to keep out customers & their dogs.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 4, 2015

That's too bad. It seems convenient to take your dog there since it's so close to where you live. I will never live in an apartment or a house with a HOA because I really don't want to live by someone else's random rules. With my own house I can do whatever I want!

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2015

In some cities you'd have a tough time finding a house without an HOA.

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2015

Why not just ask the management if they have an alternative place (make it sound like they need to do it you never know if you can bs your way into a better place to walk you fur baby LOL). Other wise you have to walk in another place.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2015

Anal? What about those who are shopping in those stores who are afraid of/ allergic to/ grossed out by dogs shedding, sniffing, rubbing on the merchandise? Somehow taking a dog into stores has become cool ( thsnks, Paris Hilton:dizzy:) but I think the majority of shoppers are not accompanied by pets. And where is the one drawn? are cats ok? Lizards? Snakes? Tarantulas? Feel free to take your pets to
    Parks.

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2015

I worked in a mall and saw a guy walking around with a huge iguana on his shoulder once. I do enjoy taking my dog to dog-friendly bars but would never take her into a mall.

There are other green areas nearby, but none as convenient. Also this area is kind on nestled in a corner so at night when I take her I can let her off her leash to get to her business quicker. Other green areas have more people walking through so I couldn't let her off.

11. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 4, 2015

When I worked at a craft store, there was a Pet Smart next door. People brought pets in all the time. (Which drove me crazy. I feel that it is inappropriate for the reasons czacza mentioned. I cleaned up more than one broken glass product due to a pet.) Anyway, I also encountered a guy with a huge iguana. He asked for help and I approached on his right. I about screamed when I saw it sitting on his left shoulder. I'm not afraid of them, but it took me by surprise!

12. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2015

My DeeOhGee has her service dog vest but she has not finished her training I only take her to Petsmart and Home Depot (She rides in the electric cart with me at HD) because of the lack of food (candy and Hostess only) at HD the trainers suggested it. It works very well there.

13. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 5, 2015

My dad is highly allergic to dogs. He does okay in short bursts but it is difficult for him to breathe. I love my dog but he stays home unless we're going to the park.

I'd talk to your management at the apartment.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 5, 2015

I have only taken my dog to Petsmart and other pet stores. I never would have thought to take him elsewhere. He is too friendly and I'd never get any shopping done LOL

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 6, 2015

Yeah, before my dog passed, I tried to tk him places to give him an outlet & not just to walk him sometimes, but to give him a change of scenery. I had a carseat for him (as some of you might recall) & I took him to my outdoor mall, but didn't really go in any stores much. I've taken him to Petsmart quite often & Home Depot too. Sometimes, I'd stay out a little longer after I'd walk him to give him a nice little drive. I really miss my dog! :(

At the beachy, upscale, outdoor mall I was talking about earlier, on any given day, you'll see about 20+ people there w/ their dogs all over the place. It's a beautiful mall! I'm glad I got a chance to take my dog there once before he died.

(I wasn't suggesting that lucybelle should tk her dog to the mall if she can't go across the street anymore. I was just bringing up the mall topic too since we're talking along similar lines. :))

16. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2015

In case anyone is interested, since the sign went up I have seen no drop in the number of people who bring their dogs to the park. Evidently the sign had always been there but for the past month was missing. One lady even said "sometimes I like to take a picture of my dog in front of the sign".

17. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Sep 7, 2015

Ms. I, I'm very, very sorry for your loss. Pets are absolutely wonderful.

You made me curious. Can I ask which mall it was you visited? It sounds like one I would love to visit. Thanks!

18. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2015

My dogs ride in the car with me if I'm going for a short trip. I take them to a doggie happy hour sometimes that they enjoy. I don't frequent pet stores all that often so I haven't taken them to any of those.

I'm lucky in that our HOA doesn't have too many rules for pets. As long as they're on a leash when outside a fenced yard, it's ok.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2015

I appreciate it miatorres & yes, they really do add extreme joy to life!

That mall I'm talking about is Fashion Island in Newport Beach, California. I love going there...each day there feels like you're on vacation.

20. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 8, 2015

I LOVE Fashion Island! I used to live about twenty minutes away. I would always see people with their dogs there.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 8, 2015

It is a lovely mall. You lived a nice distance from it! I wish I lived closer to it.

22. miatorres

miatorres Comrade

Sep 8, 2015

Thank you for replying, Ms. I! I agree that Fashion Island is a lovely place.