No PE requirement? Bad idea that makes sedentary, fat kids!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GardenDove, Feb 21, 2008.

1. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Feb 21, 2008

I'm not too happy with the fact that my daughters' middle school only allows one elective and PE is considered an elective. Since one of my daughters is in choir she doesn't have PE. I think that is extremely misguided! Aren't we in the middle of a national health crisis because of our sedentary lifestyles?

When I was in Jr High I was in choir as an elective, and everyone had art and PE as a part of the cirriculum. I can't believe the schools think daily exersise is merely an option! Whatever happened to a well rounded education that tried to develop the whole person?

Sorry teachers, I know it's not your fault, it's the fault of the policy makers. No wonder so many people are turning away from the public school system. A liberal arts, well rounded education has given way to preparing children for a sedentary life sitting behind a computer. I think that is wrong.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2008

I'm sure as an RN you are really shocked at this!!

Don't you have state requirements for PE?

4. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Feb 21, 2008

I don't know what the state requirements are. My daughter told me that she will only be required to have PE for one trimester. She told me that, since she is in choir, she isn't allowed to take PE. She really likes choir. I told her that she really needs to make a point of taking walks are getting some other exersise everyday.

5. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Feb 21, 2008

So, she can still have PE for 1/3 of the year? I know our high school students have PE for half the year, each year (we are on block schedule).

Does she only have choir for 1/3 a year? Or is choir all year, but still one trimester of PE (you said one trimester of required PE, right?)? Or did I misread? If so, PE is still a requirement, but its duration was diminished. Not that that's good . . .

6. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Feb 21, 2008

She chose choir, but can't take it the last trimester because they require PE for one trimester and you can't take both at the same time. I hadn't realized that she wasn't in PE too until she explained it the other day.

I think that is a misguided policy. When I went to school PE was a part of the cirriculum and required throughout the year.

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2008

Can she join a sport after school or something?

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 21, 2008

In high school mine wasn't required either and yes I think it is misguided. At the time I loved it because I hated excercise. We weren't required to take PE all four years. I think we had to take 2 semesters of it. I chose dance.

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2008

I just found out that our state req. is more than our kids are actually getting!! I can't belive that schools are able to get away with not providing the correct amt. of PE time!

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Feb 21, 2008

At our school the kids have no RECESS and some don't get PE either. We're a PK - 8. Public, inner city.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 21, 2008

My jr high (7th and 8th) had band or orchestra or reading class or music appreciation or whatever the elective was alternated A Day/B day with PE class. So every other day you had your elective and every other day you had PE.

IL requires 4 years (8 semesters) of PE in high school. Drivers Ed counts as a PE class, so does Health. Both of those are semester classes, so you still take 6 semesters of gym. The last 3 of those are ones we got to choose. I hated gym class, though. You could get your gym requirement waved by being on varsity sports (Marching Band didn't count even though we petitioned and petitioned, although cheerleading did. Don't get me started on THAT argument!!!) or if you had too many classes...

I hated gym class starting in elementary school, but I think it's still something every kid should have!!!!!

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 21, 2008

Are you in Chicago? It is against the law in Chicago to not give recess daily.

Illinois General Assembly
    HB1335 (Passed May 1, 2007)
    Amends the School Code. Provides that a school board shall require that schools provide recess for all students in kindergarten through grade 6. Provides that recess must be at least 10 minutes in length and must occur once in the middle of each morning and once in the middle of each afternoon during which school is in session. Provides that if the principal determines that the weather is inclement, the principal shall direct that a recess be held indoors. Requires the principal to ensure that students are given the opportunity to engage in physical exercise during each recess. Provides that the time required for recesses is included in the minimum number of hours necessary to constitute a full day of attendance under the State aid formula provisions.

As Amended: Requires recess to be provided for all students in kindergarten through grade 8 (instead of 6). Removes the requirement that a recess must occur once in the middle of each morning and once in the middle of each afternoon during which school is in session.

As also amended: Removes the provisions that require school districts outside Chicago to provide recess.

13. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Feb 22, 2008

I looked up the Washington state law and it reads as follows:

WAC 392-410-135 Washington State Register filings since 2003
    Physical education — Grade school and high school requirement.

(1) Grades 1-8. Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.040, an average of at least one hundred instructional minutes per week per year in physical education shall be required of all pupils in the common schools in the grade school program (grades 1-8) unless waived pursuant to RCW 28A.230.040.

(2) Grades 9-12. Pursuant to RCW 28A.230.050, a one credit course or its equivalent shall be offered in physical education for each grade in the high school program (grades 9-12).

I thought they were supposed to follow the law?

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Feb 22, 2008

They probably don't even know it.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Feb 22, 2008

Key words - "unless waived pursuant to RCW 28.A.230.040" Could be they have a waiver.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 22, 2008

Having PE as an option is pretty surprising. It needs to be mandatory. Health & fitness are just as important, but unfortunately, since it's not stressed so much & many of today's households have parents who are too busy w/ work, etc. & not doing things as a family as much, kids are fatter & unhealthy at a much younger age.

If I had kids who didn't have PE in school anymore, if that meant that we all as a family need to get up early before work & school to go walking or walk in the evenings & do active things on the weekends & get a gym membership, then so be it.

I'm certainly not going to sit around & not do exercise because I feel it's the school's responsibility.

As we all know, the world isn't getting any better, it's getting worse. And if by worse, it also means that schools aren't as reponsible for as many important things as it used to be, that's just more the parents have to & should do at home.

17. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Feb 22, 2008

I do think it's terrible not to have PE. Middle school is an age where girls especially can begin gaining too much weight if not active, and let's face it, for our already overweight kids, they'll just continue gaining.

But on the other hand, I'm not sure philosophically if it's the school's responsibility. Schools don't give us time to take care of our spiritual or emotional needs, so I'm not sure why they must take care of our physical needs. This must begin at home.

My neighbor has been trying to get her 12 year old to be active. She (the tween) and I went for a walk this summer at her mother's suggestion, and she asked me why I exercised. When I explained, she replied, well, she got exercise at school in gym. But her description of it -- half an hour every other day or whatever it was -- was so pitiful. She obviously wasn't being active enough but was under the impression that taking gym class was "enough."

I'm all for it if it's part of the curriculum, and I understand that in a country where only 1/3 of the population is of "normal weight" (and I was at "normal" weight when I was 25 pounds heavier, but I can tell you I was in terrible shape), we can't expect kids to learn how to take care of their bodies at home. But just because 2/3 or more of the population is leading an unhealthy lifestyle doesn't mean we should let them off the hook for how their children turn out. People need to take ownership for their own lives, not expect the schools/government to do it for them.

18. becky

becky Enthusiast

Feb 23, 2008

Oh, you'd all flip at what homeschool gym class is like. Homeschoolers get seriously shortchanged where PE is concerned. There is no state imposed standard they have to fulfill. Jeannie was in one gym class where one day gym was playing hopscotch. This was at a YMCA homeschool gym class. Her curent gym class focuses on a sport each session, and at least there's an aerobic component. I've got her in gymnastics, karate, swimming, and a class where they play playground type games. HS PE is also only done once a week, so I have to find more for her. I really wish the state or at least the county would step in and do something.

19. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 23, 2008

I completely agree!! If families were out doing things together more that involved physical activity, it probably wouldn't be such a big deal.

20. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 23, 2008

In JH, I was in atheletics, but if you weren't in a sport you had PE every day. In HS, it was optional. I was in band so I didn't have to take it.

If your concerned about your daughter's heath, make sure she's getting out of the house and walking or going to the park. Maybe the two girls could enroll in the local YMCA and take some classes.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 23, 2008

Sounds like you need to ask the principal why PE isn't required. I was going to say it's state law in WA for them to have it. I remember the kids had to have PE at least two times a week when I worked in a junior high out there.

22. iTeacher

iTeacher Rookie

Feb 23, 2008

Whether or not a school offers PE parents should be responsible for their child's health and that includes physical activities. I think people complaining that they think the school should offer it is just pushing the responsibility onto someone else. They are your kids, you are responsible for your child's health. If your school doesn't offer it join an after school group. If you have to many other responsibilities like having to work a lot to make ends meet then exercise. This can be done at home for free.

23. blue-eyed mom

blue-eyed mom Companion

Feb 23, 2008

Well said! :clap::clap::clap:

24. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Feb 23, 2008

:up: Yes, I agree! While schools should be promoting a healthy, active lifestyle, that kind of attitude starts at home by the parents providing and demonstrating a good example.

25. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Feb 23, 2008

We just passed a new Senate bill in Texas that requires all children 3rd-12th grade to be physically tested twice a year. Reports are send home to parents and the results are sent in to the state. Elementary school children must get at least 135 minutes of PE a week. The middle school aspect of the bill states that by next year, middle school students must get 4 semesters of PE unless they are involved in competitive athletics.

I think its a step in the right direction for physical education in Texas, but ultimately its the parent's job to set the right example. I am fortunate that I see all 500 students at my school in my gym EVERYDAY. Pre-K/Kinder get 30 minutes a day while 1st-5th grade gets 45 minutes daily. Despite the activity my students get and I will tell you that my kids get a LOT OF ACTIVITY including running and doing push ups and sit ups everyday, I have students who are continuing to gain weight. In fact, I am extremely tall, and I have a 5th grade student who is one foot shorter than me and weighs almost as much as I do and I am at a healthy weight for my height and build.

As a PE teacher, my view is that it's essential for our kids to be well educated and smart to thrive in the real world, but being smart will do someone no good if they are obese with type 2 diabetes and heart problems by the time their 30.

It's in the parents hands. The parents buy the food that the kids put in their mouths. The parents allow the kids to play video/computer games for hours on end instead of encouraging them to ride bikes/shoot hoops like I did as a kid. I as a PE teacher, can't do much about it. I can send home the test reports and show the parents that their child's BMI is entirely too high and that they can't do 5 good push ups or sit ups when we do them EVERYDAY in class. But other than that, I don't know what else to do. How do I tell a parent that they aren't doing the right thing for their child.

This generation of children is not expected to outlive their parents. The blame is not for a lack of PE. (Which does need to be included in every child's life.) The responsibility is on the parents who are most likely overweight/obese themselves and passing on their sedentary, high calorie/high fat/high sodium/high sugar lifestyle onto their children.