NO ONE CAN HANDLE MY CLASS BUT ME!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Grammy Teacher, Feb 15, 2007.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

I leave my classroom for a half hour break while another person serves them their lunch. They are very rude and out of control while I am gone. They holler, run around and cause chaos. The minute I step back into the classroom, they straighten right up.
    What would you do about it?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Feb 15, 2007

Are you sure we don't have the same class?

I would first talk with the students about it and remind them of your expectations. Remind them that your expectations are to continue when other teachers are in the room with them. Then I would post them on the wall. More for the other teacher than the students. You could also wait for the other teacher to come in and remind your students in front of her. I don't know. I teach 2nd graders, but also teach Pk-2 at church. They know how I expect them to act, and I treat them like big kids. I know my suggestions might not be that much of a help, but hopefully you can get something from it.

4. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2007

Tell them they are to act like you were there, and you will be watching them. At that age, I bet they will straighten up. Just goes to show ya, kids know who and what they can get away with.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

Hmmmmm I would maybe stick my head back into the classroom once or twice during my break and remind them to behave or you will give them a consquence when you return. After a couple of days of you doing that they will get the picture. You have four year olds right?
    Or was it threes?

6. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Feb 15, 2007

I had a sub. on Monday because my own kids were really sick. My kids at school were out of control. She said they were nonstop talking, tattling, wouldn't do their work, out of their seats, running in line, ect...They were sent back from computer lab because they wouldn't stop talking. The principal had to come talk to them and TRY to get them under control. When I came back on Tuesday, I told them how disappointed I was. She didn't leave me any names of those that were good or bad, she just said as a whole they were terrible. They usually don't act that way.

7. princesspatunia

princesspatunia Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

Children love to test adults to see what they can get away with. You may want to get together with the lunch teacher, talk to her about what your expectations are and come up with a plan together. Make sure she follows through if the children are behaving appropriately or inappropriately. Try a reward system. If the children are good for the half hour they get a star on a chart. When they have 5 stars they get to pick something from the treasure box. Or differential rienforcement-Give stamps or stickers to children behaving appropriately. When misbehaving children see that their friends are getting stamps for behaving they will quickly change their behavior. When they do start behaving it is important to reward them right away too. Never take away a reward after it has been given. Buy stickers that will be motivating for everyone. High fives, pat on the shoulder, whisper of praise in the ear are good reinforcers. On hot days my kids love to be misted with a spray bottle, or a sqirt of water in their mouth (not touching the bottle to their mouth). We have also used a kiss from a finger puppet on the cheek or a squeeze toy that blows out a puff of air on the cheek. Reinforcers can be any item that is motivating.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

Hey Grammy if I lived closer, I would come cover your class next week on my vacation. But WI is way to far away and my brothers are flying in from GA tonight. I can't wait for school to be over tomorrow so I can go home!

9. bunnys

bunnys Rookie

Feb 15, 2007

I really can relate, When I have another person come in when I leave, they just can't control my class either. One of the persons that come in is one of my toddlers own mom, and she doesn't even have control of any of her kids, and all my things get messed up, he gets into my drawers on my desk, pulls the tape out of the dispenser, etc. and she tells me she just can't do anything with him. Of course the other 8 toddlers wants to do the same thing he gets away with. But let me step inside the class and they see I'm back in the room, they settle down and go back to playing with the toys. I get so mad at my replacements that I'm ready to scream. so I know what you are going through, I have tried to tell my subs. how to keep my rules with the toddlers, they just don't have the experience I guess. I'm gonna be gone for 3 days next week, and I guess I'll have to put clasp and locks on everything just to keep the kids out of stuff.
    If you get any magical solutions, Please post it. Thanks

10. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Feb 15, 2007

I have to say, the book "Miss Nelson is missing" comes to mind here...I bet that would straighten them right out!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2007

The specials teachers all complain about my class. I think they just aren't structured enough - or clear enough about expectations. One of them just has no lesson plans, so, forget about it.

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Feb 15, 2007

Sound like my mom's old class. I've seen this phenomenon in action too, crazy. I like the Miss Nelson is missing idea....ah a clever disguize.

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2007

Grammy, I don't have much advice but I can tell you I can relate. I have had classes like that and I also deal with this issue with my daycare parents. They wonder why they are so good here then they act like crazy kids once their parents walk in the door. I simple say "because they know they can't get away with much with me". Be the parent!!!

Is the teacher strong enough with them? Does she lay down the law or is she wishy washy? Perhaps telling them if you hear about them being bad they should get a consequence upon your return or later in the day. ???

14. mrs.oz

mrs.oz Companion

Feb 19, 2007

Well this is all to familiar. In 4 years I have not seen my children behave with someone else like they do me. Four year olds do not take to change. I always feel guilty when I am out. Usually if I am out more than 2 days my principal is panicking. Can you believe? Maybe that is why I have asked for a transfer to Middle School.

15. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2007

I don't feel guilty for taking time off or whatever. It just makes me mad that people can't handle these little kids! My gosh it is just common sense that people are lacking. I am fair and consistent and they love me for that. That 's why they behave for me.

16. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Feb 20, 2007

Ahhh you neglected too mention experienced. Perhaps, they will learn as most of us did, in time.

17. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Feb 20, 2007

Fortunately, my class is full of angels when I leave. I always remind them of my rules and remind them that they will pull a frog (our behavior chart) if they do not follow the class rules. Weekly we go over respect for others and how we should treat others the way you want to be treated... so it's "brainwashed" into them. ;)

A few tested early in the year and acted up when I left and as always, I asked the aide and they told me who misbehaved and sure enough I made them pull that frog and that was the end of the test.

To clarify my frogs: They always pull them (it's more effective), one pull is a warning, two pulls is 5 mins in time out, three pulls is 5 mins in time out in the hallway alone w/ an aide, four pulls is to the directors office and calling Mom. However, if they act up really badly and totally disrepectful I've been known to pull my mobile phone out of pocket to make them call Mom and tell her what they have done.

Good luck to ya! Just stick with your rules and stick to the consequences even when you are gone.

18. Tigers

Tigers Habitué

Feb 20, 2007

from your post I understand you discipline but I am not sure how you operate it. But, it seems focused on punishment rather than natural consequences. I was just curious if that is how you would have other do unto you.