No Names on Papers (Grade 1)

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Starista, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 28, 2006

Hello!!! :love:

I am wondering how you all deal with no names on papers.... even though we say COUNTLESS times "put your name on the paper," etc etc.

The other 1st grade teacher with whom I work puts a frown face on the paper and sends it home (if she can figure out to whom the paper belongs) or else she throws it away. She got a very upset note from a parent about her child being upset w/ the frown face.

So far I have just written the name for the child and reminded them to write their name...

Suggestions please!

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006

It's an every day, all day task for me to remind my students to put names on papers (in KDG). When I taught 3rd, I still had to remind them, but I was more strict because by that time they should know that's the first thing to do when they get a paper. I would just suggest to keep reminding them over and over and over.

4. schwan

schwan Rookie

Mar 28, 2006

No Names on Papers!

My first graders have to have their names on their homework papers at the end of the day before they are allowed to get their things out of their lockers. That way, when they go to hand them in the next day their name is already on it. It saves a lot of time in the long run.

Another way is to keep a highlighter next to the basket where they turn in their homework. Before putting it in the basket, they must highlight their name. They think this is cool.

Hope this helps!

5. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Mar 28, 2006

I really like that idea. That would probably even work with the fifth graders I'm working with now.

6. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Mar 28, 2006

After every student gets his/her paper, I give them about 15 seconds then say, "Freeze". They have to stop and put their hands in their laps. Children who have their name on their paper get their hand stamped with a smiley face; kids who don't have their names on have to stay in at recess and write their names on their papers, then owe maybe 2 or 3 minutes of recess.

I don't do the "freeze method" every time I pass out papers or even every day, but it has really increased the number of kids who remember to write their names.

7. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Mar 28, 2006

I have the same problem even in second grade! I'm new so I'm still trying to figure out their handwriting. Sometimes when we do fill in the bubble tests its impossible to tell, and it's frustrating because all those grades just go in the trash.

We have a Name on Your Paper song that we sing. It helps for some kids but not those distracted ones that just don't listen!

Maybe you could have them circle their name before they turn it in? Or draw a happy face next to their name? Same as the highlighter idea but maybe easier.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2006

If I couldn't figure out who it was I called the names that I had (not to embrass the student, but usually it was more than one)...then after spelling test they had to write their name 5 times!!! If it was one then I just threw it in the "circular file." The kids knew this as well.

9. SusanMc

SusanMc Rookie

Mar 28, 2006

I have a rubber stamp that says "NO NAME".

If I can figure it out, I'll stamp it and then write the name.

10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 28, 2006

Great idea, Schwan. I know all my students' handwriting by now, but it's more the idea of taking responsibility.

11. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Mar 28, 2006

That is something that I am not looking forward to! I am not teaching yet...but in my internships I have already had this occur. I simply don't know what I am going to do! I know i will learn the handwriting as missy said...but still. There has to be someway to get them to understand the importance of their name being on their paper!

12. mrspoppens

mrspoppens Rookie

Mar 28, 2006

The last thing I have students do before collecting whole group assignements is ask students to "touch their name" and date. This simple task seems to help. However, during center activities students often forget to independently put their names on their paper.

13. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Mar 28, 2006

That is a good idea...i'll have to remember that!

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Mar 28, 2006

I would think the purpose of the frowny face is to upset the child a little to get their attention so they would remember to write their name on their paper the next time!

15. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2006

AuburnTeach I do the same thing.

And if I do come across a paper with no name I will stamp it with a NO NAME stamp so the parents know their child is forgetting to put their name on their paper. Then I put the no name papers on the board for thge kids to claim them if I can't recognize their names. Sometimes I will hold a paper up (like a paper that can be easily recognized) and I yell out NO NAME, NO FAME!

16. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Mar 29, 2006

I deal with the same problem in 4th grade! What has helped, is I have the team captains check to make sure everyone has their name AND date. That has really decreased the problem.

17. pamms

pamms Comrade

Mar 29, 2006

I teach 2nd. For the first couple weeks, I just reminded them, then for most of the 1st (and I think some of the 2nd) nine weeks, I made them write their name 20 times if they'd left off their whole name, 10 times if they'd just left off their lasy name. That 'cured' a few of them. Then I went (along with the other teachers in my group) to just marking 5 points off if they don't have their 1st and last name. Lots of them still 'forget' it...so I don't know if there is any 'sure fire' method. But..the points off has an effect on many of them and the parents reinforce it because they can see that it is a problem as well.
    I wouldn't worry at all about the parent being upset with the frown face. The child has complete control of that...put your name= no frown face (or no points off, etc).
    Pam

18. pamms

pamms Comrade

Mar 29, 2006

OOOH, just thought of another thing that REALLY helps me! I got it from another teacher. I have plastic cups along a narrow shelf in the classroom. Each cup is labeled with a child's name (mine are in alpha order). When they turn in papers, they roll them up and put them in their cup. This way, I can tell at a glance who hasn't turned in a paper, and, as I empty the cups I will often notice a 'no name"..I just write those in and count the 5 points off at this point in the year, but at least I know what cup it came out of so I don't have to try to figure out who it belongs to. Also..If i didn't notice as I take them out of the cup, the papers are in specific order, so if the one between Mary A's paper and Jason C's paper has no name, I can be pretty certain it belongs to Jeffrey B.
    ;-)

Pam

19. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

Mar 29, 2006

I can't stand parents who get upset over every little thing. I don't do a frowny face but I see nothing wrong with it. I think if it upset him sooo much maybe next time he'll remember.

I get my table manager to check for names before they hand me their papers. I still have a few w/o names but they are getting better by this time of year.

20. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Mar 29, 2006

I don't really like having the kids write their names 10 times or however many times. I also dislike it when teachers make kids writes sentences for punishment. I think that by doing this it only makes kids NOT like write.

21. pamms

pamms Comrade

Mar 30, 2006

I know that some share that opinion. I really think it depends on the 'offense'. I think writing your name a few times as punishment for not writing your name is fair. I start off with just very friendly reminders...look where your name goes...if it's there..pat yourself on the back! YAY!!! all that stuff, lol, but after a couple weeks...they need to be responsible for this task. I'd still remind them EVERY time, and say something like 'write it just ONE time now so you won't have to write it a bunch of times!' Keep in mind these are 2nd graders...so writing their name is not physically challenging like it might be in K or early 1st grade. It's just time consuming and directly reflects the offense.
    I start off with the writing it several times to avoid taking off points at the beginning of the year. I hate for their grade to possibly suffer for that right at the beginning of the year.
    Personally, I think what really makes kids start to dislike writing is when we make marks all over it, tell them thay have to write in a specific format, and all those other 'teaching' things we do that informs them that their ideas weren't good enough. :-(

Pam

22. Starista

Starista Cohort

Mar 31, 2006

Yesterday I had the children point to their names and draw a smiley face next to it and ALL 28 papers had names on them!

Thank you all SO much for the awesome suggestions!

T G I F !!!