No more whining

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by dizzykates, Jul 19, 2007.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

Hi guys...Just a little blurb to make me feel better...

I was offered a job last week at a school I felt so-so about. I went in and toured the school (interview was off site) and talked with lots of staff. I got all my questions answered and then felt good about the school itself. Problem was, it wasn't on the end of town I thought it was. It is a 45 minutes commute w/o traffic and trust me, there is traffic in the morning. I would have had to be there at 7am and I just didn't think I could do it. I called and turned it down based solely on the commute. I guess my time for complaining about not having a job just came to an end. I will no longer complain, but I have resolved myself to more carefully pursuing schools in my area that interest me.

Has anyone else ever done this? I am consoling myself with the fact I wouldn't have applied there if the address had been what I thought it was.

3. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I didn't turn down any offers because of the commute, but I used Mapquest to check the distance before I submitted any applications. If it was more than a 30-minute drive, I didn't apply.

4. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

I did that too...but the address listed on their material was out of date. :(

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

Dizzykates, call them back and accept, trust me. I have a 35-40 minute commute with a brige across a river in the middle if the bridge is closed for any reason (umm it is a draw bridge) I cannot go around, there is no way around. But I love the commute, why you ask? Becuase I have time to review what I will do for the day before I get there, I have time to unwind before I get home. Yes I spend an hour a day in the car, but the communte is one of the better things about my job. Trust me, it is all how you think about it, look at it as time for you no one can take away, and you will like it more. I learned this trick from a friend that drives 1 1/2 hours to his classroom each way!

6. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

I have also turned down a job because of a long commute. I have two small children and do not want to be away from them any longer than I have to. I always make sure, when I apply for a job now, that the commute is something I can live with. It is a very hard descision to make but you have to do what is right for you.

7. ramtuf6

ramtuf6 Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

I think the distance you have to travel in relation to the pay has to play a big part in deciding whether or not to accept a position. I turned down an offer late last month, 40 mile commute/36K. The fact that I would have been teaching a subject that I get no joy from also made my decision easier.

ramtuf6

8. HufflePuff

HufflePuff Cohort

Jul 19, 2007

i feel you on that one. i mapquested schools and believe you me, they were not as close as the site said. have you been offered any other positions? what type of position was it? i think i would do it for a year and suffer, and then maybe find a place nearby (b/c i currently have nothing). but don't feel bad about not accepting! commuting is a pain to begin with...and plus, you need all the extra time you can when your a teacher! :)

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 19, 2007

If you don't have any children, I will agree with wldywall. Where I am from 45 minutes is not a long way to travel for a job. I got to school every morning before 6:45 am (it was a 20-25 minute drive)and there were teachers who lived closer to school to me already there. Arriving to school early also means that you can leave right after school and miss rush hour traffic on your way home and no line ups at the photocopy machine.

10. ErikaG

ErikaG Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

Don't feel bad about not taking the job. You have to do what is best for you. If the commute would be too much, then that was not the job for you. You will find something!

11. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 19, 2007

I haven't had any other offers, but my first year I did take whatever I got. It was the same number of miles, but a little better highways. 45 minutes is without traffic, I know it will take over an hour during the morning rush. I value my time too much...I am having faith some other things will pan out. I just can't imagine leaving my house before 6am. I need my sleep and that would mean I need to be in bed sleeping by 9pm. Kind of hard with grad school going til after nine a few times a week. Some people are up for different things. I am glad I am not the only one who's done this, I do know that everyone has their own reasons, but I really after "talking" with you all that this is the right choice for me.

12. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 19, 2007

I left my last job under the pretense (my excuse for leaving) that the drive vs pay was not working out. It was 45 mins one way. Of course, there were other reasons, but that was the main, official reason. I am now looking at at least a 45 min - 1 hr communte (but thankfully no heavy traffic!) pretty much no matter where I go at this point. Interview on Saturday with a desperate principal for a job I'm not particularly interested in 1 hr away but hey! I'll take it cuz I gotta work and I don't want to quit teaching.

Now, I like to drive (except in bad weather) and I use it as a way to catch up on NPR, go over my day's plan, listen to music or CD books, or just think and go over my day on the way home. When I get home, it's all over and I can go on with my life. So...unemployment vs employment...I guess I can drive, if the money's reasonable. Won't do it again for a crummy situation and/or poor pay like I just came from.

13. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2007

14. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Jul 19, 2007

I think your reason is totally justified. You have to do what's best for you, of course. The school I'm working at this year is a 10 minute drive, tops, from my house. Because I have such a short distance to travel, I will gladly be amongst the first to arrive every morning and stay late in the afternoons, without feeling like I'm sacrificing too much of my time. If I had to drive 1 hour home, I'm afraid I'd be rushing out the door at the end of the day just to beat traffic!

15. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2007

I have a 25 minute commute and don't have to be at work till 9 but I have a child whose school starts at 7:40 so I need to leave the house at 6:45 daily to get her there on time. Since her school is right down the street from mine, I just go to work really early and get things done. I'm at work at 7:20 daily...but there's no other way because driving back home and back to school would take over an hour since traffic has kicked in by then and, really, what would be the point?