No more than 2 tests in one day rule

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by mrsnoble116, Aug 13, 2006.

1. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

Our district has a rule that our administration is really enforcing this year. The kids cannot have more than 2 tests in one day. We all tested on Friday. Basically, the reasoning is that they aren't going to do anything over the weekend to study and will forget the skills. So either Fri. or Mon. will be wasted.

I was thinking of review on Mon. and test on Tues.

What do you do and why?

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 13, 2006

I'm not limited to a certain number of tests per day, but I do try and stagger regular tests (Spelling, Daily Oral Language, Daily Science Questions, and Daily Geography) to other days so that Friday isn't so full of tests. My science tests fall on odd days, just when we finish the skill and review. (One might be on Tuesday and the next on Thursday.) For me, it's to prevent the kids from having so many tests on one day to study for, and to ehlp the parents out with the studying. Also, to be honest, it works out that there is almost no day that doesn't have one test. It's helped with attendance. There's harly ever a day that I can't tell a parent that their child really needs to come because of the ??? test.

4. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

In Math, our pacing guide is broken down day by day...if it says "Chapter 9 Test on Day 132", then that's when I give it. We are allowed a little flexibility & can be off by a few days, but I just stick to the pacing guide.

In Reading, my teammates & I always agree to test on the same day...we usually just go with whatever day works best for all of us.

In the content areas, we don't test. So no problem there.

How about testing on Thursdays? Then, you still have the weekend to grade them without feeling like you're getting behind (which happens to me sometimes).

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 13, 2006

I have given my spelling tests on Thursday for the past several years- has worked out for me! (I give them a pretest on Monday, so they have until Thursday to study). I have known others to Test on Thursday, and review the test on Friday.

6. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 13, 2006

testing on Thursdays may be possible, but the reading teacher gives Spelling on Thursdays. We're semi-dept. and I seem to be the only teacher who cares about the rule. The other ladies seem that they are still going to give all their tests on Fri.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 13, 2006

We are not limited to number of tests per day, but we are not supposed to test on Monday. I think this is pretty wise. I test on Tues or Wed. for the most part and use Mon. as a review day. I also try to give no more than two non-spelling tests in a given day, but sometimes that can't be helped.