No More Sodas!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by cutNglue, Aug 10, 2007.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2007

Okay, it's been 4 days since I decided to stop drinking soda (diet coke). The reason is because I've had 2 cavities in the past 6 months. I have only ever had one cavity before and I was a kid. So I asked my dentist for reasons. Sodas have carbonation which apparently not only eats away at your teeth but leeches calcium from your body. I don't drink milk so that was a concern for me. The other reason was due to some medication making my mouth dry. So I chose the problem I can tackle.

So now the problem is (besides the raging headache) is I can't find anything with flavor to drink besides home brewed tea (which I'm not gonna make). The flavored waters have carbonation. The powder flavorings have citric acid as their main ingredient (also bad). Fruit juice is heavy in sugar. What the heck is there? We are talking about something I want to drink regularly.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

There are lots of flavored waters without carbonation, like Propel, Life Water, and plain old Aquafina with flavor added (some are carbonated, some aren't--you just have to read the bottle).

We often buy the light fruit juices. Healthy Orchard (??) I think is one of the brands we like, and we usually get the grape juice and apple juice. It has only like 30 calories for a whole glass... I think they cut out the calories by cutting down on the sugar.

You can always drink plain water. I like it VERY cold, with lots of ice, and with an orange/lemon/lime wedge. My mom slices up lemons, limes, and oranges and freezes them, and then she uses them in her water like ice. It's pretty tasty that way.

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

If its avoiding the carbination, use a straw--- I bet the dentist din't say that.

Also you mentioned powdered drinks, I use and like crystal light, Again use a straw if you want.

There is also a new toothpast that is for people that drink fruit juice, wine and such drinks that eat away the protection on your teeth. (its by synsodine)

your headach is from lack of cafine.

By the way brewed or sun tea will color your teeth too.

ask the dentist about the use of a straw.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2007

I knew about the straw actually!!! I'm not gonna though. My hubby uses that toothpaste but he is overseas. I just mailed him some. I should have picked me up some too! Chrystal Light has Citric Acid!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

But you don't need to worry about the citric acid with the straw because it completely bypasses your teeth.

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

I got a sample of that toothpaste......... go to their website I think they still have free samples. I just couln't handle the taste of it.

everythings gonna get us in the end!---- I'm being sarcastic, there are so many NO-NO's that we just have to pick what we think is best for us. Here our tap water has so much clorine that I put a towel in the shower that was dripping to lessen the noise and it turned a blue towel purple where the drip hit!!----- and think that people drink it!

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

we drink bottled water mostly that has been "reversed osmosis" filtered................ what ever the heck that is, it does make it taste better.

9. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I love, love, love the Lipton diet green tea they sell in bottles. At first I didn't like it, but then I found myself drinking more of it.. but since its green tea it has caffeine in it and I drink only that and water these days.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

I guess one other thing to remember is that if you don't drink tap water, you're also missing out on the fluoride they add to it, since most bottled beverages don't have that. That can add to the cavity problem, and I would even argue that it's a bigger problem than worrying about carbonation (which I think only affects tooth health minimally, if at all).

Here in Vegas our tap water is terrible, but it's okay if you use one of the Pur or Britta-type filters.

11. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 10, 2007

my mom drinks that too. (green tea from lipton)

our town doesn't add floride:mellow:

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

:hijack: Does it taste at all like the Diet Peach Green Tea? I got that stuff once thinking it would be amazing and it tasted worse than anything I'd ever had before in my entire life.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

Seriously? I thought every municipal water supply did that.

14. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2007

I love Lipton diet green tea. The problem is all they sell around here is the ones with stuff added to it like peach or citrus or whatever. I just wanted the PLAIN diet green tea. Arizona makes a good one too but I can't find it in BOTTLES. If I do, I find it in ONE big bottle and not a six pack. I drink a lot! When you talk about carbonation not having that much effect, well first of all I don't get much calcium and secondly I drinkly like 7-8 per day so we aren't talking about minimum drinking here. I'm afraid to start drinking something else "occasionally" and then dump my water and the other thing is bad too. Golly. Who said it was supposed to be this complicated. No wonder we all stay in bad health. It's much easier! I do get flouride but it is the mouth rinse so I'm not sure how much I'm actually getting.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2007

So far I mostly see, drink water or use a straw. LOL.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2007

Do you take a calcium supplement? You said that you don't drink milk, but do you get your calcium in other ways? There's always cheese, yogurt, pudding (believe it or not!), hot chocolate... even orange juice often has added calcium. Could you start drinking a flavored milk like strawberry or chocolate milk? They often have low-fat or fat-free versions if you prefer.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2007

I LOVE propel... I actually think it's a little too strong so I do half water & half propel!!! Worked good when I taught the whole bottle of propel would last most of the day!!!

I like the lemon one!!!

18. Lyquidphyre

Lyquidphyre Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I don't like peach tea, so I wouldn't know, sorry. I have friends who are big tea drinkers and thought this drink was an abomination. But, I just like it because it is refreshing, to me, regardless of how much it truly tastes like green tea.

Have you tried looking for them at the Dollar General? They sell them by the cases there, same as Wal-mart.

19. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I like the Wal-mart brand Crystal Light lemonade. (no calories!)

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2007

cutNglue, if you make the powdered drinks at less than full strength, or if you dilute the bottled drinks, that will reduce the amount of citric acid you're getting and still give you a little flavor.

You could also test various drinks for acidity using a pH kit for pools - you may well find that, while citric acid is an ingredient, the resulting drink isn't nearly as acid as a soda.

21. 6ertchr

6ertchr Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I like Arizona Green Tea, water (ice-cold and flavored with fresh limes, oranges, cucmbers, or mint), Lipton Iced White Tea, and Chai Tea Lattes.

I cut out all diet drinks (soda, flavored waters, etc.) last winter because I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease. Some researchers have found a link between artificial sweeteners and certain autoimmune disorders.

22. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

This is so important for us women to know, especially if the women in our families have a history of osteoporosis. I limit myself to about 1 soda per week, eat yogurt and cheese, and take 2 calcium chews a day. I get tired of drinking plain water, too, so I buy the Aquafina strawberry, or Propel strawberry-kiwi.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 10, 2007

I've used calcium supplements before but I'm on other medications and frankly I rebel against having to remember it all sometimes. But beyond that, I tried the viactiv chocolate chews and I liked them but they are chewy and stick to the teeth. It wouldn't be so bad if my mouth wasn't so dry. I doubt I would be able to handle it now. I threw away a chicken breast recently because it was so dry I couldn't swallow it and yet I could see the juices flowing out of it. So you get the picture. I don't want any more pills. Sorry, but they make me gag. Didn't viactiv make a starburst kind of chew? Is there one out there that isn't a "chew?" I saw chewable vitamins for seniors and kids but not for women. I might just take the kids anyways. Long story short..I'm not taking them but I have been looking.

I LOVE the pool kit idea!! That might ease my mind some! Cool! :cool:

I don't like gatorade type tastes and propel looks like that.
    I don't like the diluted form of those powder drinks. I have to drink some of the water before I even add it despite their directions.
    I'll have to try the flavored water (after the pool kit test).
    Water flavored with cucumbers???:woot:

6ertchr--Do you get the Arizona Green Teas in bottles?

Beyond tea and water flavored with fruit and veggies, I'm surprised to see so many commercially made up drinks instead of ones with at least natural origins. (Obviously I don't want it to be too natural or I wouldn't stress that I want a bottle I can pick up and drink. I wish I was more environmentally conscious.)

P.S. Thanks for listening to all my protests. Can you tell--change is hard! :unsure:

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2007

I love Vitamin Water. I don't think Propel or PowerAde tastes anything like Gatorade. I can't stand Gatorade.

25. KIF

KIF Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I agree that home-brewed tea can be a pain to make. I found a great way to "cheat". In the morning I'll take a very larger bottle and fill it with ice. Make a cup of tea in a mug, then pour the hot tea on the ice and POOF, iced tea. I highly recommend TAZO's Awake tea for the early mornings! Tastes great too.

26. Andibee

Andibee Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Vitamin Water

It is pretty good (there are a bunch of flavors to choose). I don't drink them for the vitamin content which isn't very much from what I have been reading. I just think they taste good. They do have about 125 calories in a 20 oz. bottle, though.

27. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 11, 2007

Try Vitamin Water, or Sobe Life Water. They are both great, and do not have carbonation, but have different vitamins in them. Also, Dasani has a flavored water now, that has no calories. My daughter said it was pretty good!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2007

That way to make iced tea is a cheat? Not!

Of course, there's cool-brew tea, the stuff that brews up in minutes. Lipton sells a plain tea, and Celestial Seasonings has a ten-minute version in raspberry, blueberry, and peach flavors - I haven't tried the blueberry, and the raspberry's mediocre, but the peach is all right.

29. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Aug 12, 2007

If not for the five or six Diet Cokes I drink every day, I would be even meaner than some of you already believe I am.

I hate tea. But I know where you can get some great tea buys!

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 12, 2007

Too funny. I was thinking that I have a stimulant I take from my doctor plus caffiene and I'm still a witch!

I've been curious about the vitamin water, sobe water, etc but golly that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! I'm afraid to try it and like it.

I had a fruit smoothie yesterday. Hit the spot.

31. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

Will have to cut back on Cokes cuz we can't have a fridge in our rooms (*sigh*) but it will keep me from running to the br between classes all of the time. I still have my morning tea then coffee for the trip (it's long) but will change to water -- frozen bottles (yeah, I know, it's an urban myth) -- in my new little lunch kit. I gotta have something to drink. Don't know what I'll do about the caffeine withdrawal :eek:

32. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2007

Watch some of the vitamin water...some have a lot of sugar in them!!!

33. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2007

the VW by us is usually 10 for $10 ..but it isnt that much better then diet coke (as far as calories and sugar/sodium)

34. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 12, 2007

The vitamin water and the sobe stuff goes on sale here frequently for 10 for $10. I buy it on sale and stock up. My daughter likes to take a bottle of it to work with her. The Dasani flavored water was also 10 for $10 this past week at the grocery store.

35. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 14, 2007

I haven't been to the grocery store yet, but I did buy a few things at Walmart.

Propel taste good. (My kids hate it. Yay! More for me!). I doubt I would want it on an ongoing basis which is good anyways. I bought the pool kit and didn't read it before I bought it. It doesn't test pH until about 6.4 range. Heck, even soda is below that! READ! Isn't that what we teach??!

36. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 14, 2007

Did some research: Less than 5.5 pH=bad for teeth. Water is 7.0 (neutral). Battery Acid is 1.0.

Propel: 3.2
    Diet Coke: 3.39
    Gatoraide: 2.95
    Sugar Free SoBe Tropical: 2.5

http://www.21stcenturydental.com/smith/pH_drinks.htm

Of course that is just one source.

37. Miss Steele

Miss Steele Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I am in the same boat as you! I have had many dental problems which my dentist says is partly from drinking soda. (Other is from stress but that's a different story!)

One thing he told me that surprised me is that drinking through a straw does not help! He did tell me that if I did drink soda to rinse my mouth out with water afterwards.

I made it about a year without drinking any soda but then I caved. I need to go back but it's so hard to find anything with taste. I don't like to have artificial sweeteners and almost every flavored water uses that.

I do have a iced tea maker that I use to brew tea. It only cost $20 and it takes about 10 minutes for the tea to make itself!

Good luck! There are very limited options when you start to actually look at the sugar and other things in drinks...

38. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 15, 2007

Most of the flavored waters (if not all) are highly acidic too. I'm reading that this is because artificial sweetners are also highly acidic. Plus many of them are carbonated. It's frustrating!! I know that in moderation everything is fine, but I'm not a moderation gal.

I was told if I drank soda (etc) then drink it WITH a meal because your mouth is more active in creating the bacteria and salvia it needs. Again, I drink things with stress and during class so I don't want to be tied down to a time or quanity. So I'm still searching for something I can drink when I want. I'm starting to doubt that I can. I guess water is the one perfect choice.

39. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Aug 16, 2007

I have a question for all you out there with dental knowledge...my daughter is addicted to Altoids. At her recent dental visit, she had 3 (gasp!) cavities! So... she is cutting out the Altoids now. Is sugarless gum a better option? Is that bad for your teeth, or not?

40. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 16, 2007

I hear sugar will rot teeth if sitting in the mouth, but I doubt the sugarless gum will. I think it actually activates the salavia such that occurs during meals. I was told if you do drink soda, doing it during meals is the best time because the salavia and good bacteria help wash away some of the bad stuff. You might want to research or ask for sure, but I chew the stuff here and there because of dry mouth.

I pool kit tested some powder to go drink (walmart great value brand) and the pH was good! It was approx. 6.8 Too bad I would prefer to stay away from artificial sweetners and too bad I didn't care for it. But there is hope.

41. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 28, 2007

Oh too bad you do not like artificial sweeteners- I found this really good stuff at Shaws- its sugar free because diabetes runs in the family- made with splenda (a sugar derivative). Its starts with Totally and I forget the rest, but it is really good- they have fruit punch, lemonade, pink lemonade, ice tea, raspberry ice tea, and lemon ice tea. Its just a powder mix- its basically a sugar free kool aid type drink. They also have the mini version you just pour in your water bottle on the go. I have also given up soda- so far I have given it up for the entire summer minus the 2 weeks I was sick and had ginger ale.