No more shopping for me...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Cateacher2b, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 2, 2008

I'm out of money :help: My first payday is August 29th...so that file cabinet, bookcase, storage things, will all just have to wait. My classroom will be storageless for 4 days! Come to think of it, I dont remember any closets in the classroom. Of course I was only allowed a 30 second look...

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

Try freecycle! I see bookshelves, file cabinets and storage stuff on mine all the time. I just sent a 'want' out for beanbags, so we'll see. The people are incredibly generous, especially if you say it's an emergency classroom situation. Some may have some really unique options for you. I'm picking up a record cabinet today that will be great for storing my tiny boxes of beanie babies in-you never know!

And it's all free!

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

Cateacher2b where in Utah are you teaching? I teach in Salt Lake City?

5. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 2, 2008

Peggy,
    I teach in Ogden.

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

My daughter has friends who get stuff all the time from freecycle. So we have it here. I'd try it. Also check the DI, they sometimes have great stuff.

7. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 2, 2008

i can't believe your school doesn't give you a filing cabinet or a bookcase. that is what i would consider furniture and all came with my room. if there is not a bookshelf available they will send your order to admin. and they can custom make a bookshelf or shelves to fit any area of your room.
    that stinks!

8. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 2, 2008

freecycle.com is great. That is where I just got my file cabinet and it was from a woman who only lived about 10 min from the house. We hear each year how there is no money in the budget for any furniture, other than desks, chairs, etc., and a filing cabinet I guess is considered a luxury!

9. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Aug 3, 2008

There is 1 bookcase in the classroom..I just Want :p more

10. smannes

smannes Companion

Aug 3, 2008

No more for me either, I'm broke! I started the last school year a little late so I wasn't able to get in on 12 month pay. I haven't received a paycheck since May 31st. Good thing DH was getting paid. I need to budget better LOL (and I've already signed up for 12 month pay next year)

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

I wish the freecycle group I've been in had those types of things. The only things I see are shampoo, tires, etc. I really needed a one of a kind bookshelf and haven't found it.:mellow:

12. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2008

Unfortunately, all of my bookshelves I had to purchase. I can't tell you how many times I started in a new school and had nothing! So, I have my own overhead, bookshelves, math manipulatives, etc. This year, with 3 new teachers on my team, I made sure they had the furniture they needed- bookshelves, file cabinet, large locking cabinet, overhead, etc.