No more political ads! Yay!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peregrin5, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 6, 2012

Anyone else glad they don't have to watch/hear the politicians trying to slaughter each other after today?

I really wish they'd spend that campaign money on something useful.

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2012

I don't know, I sort of enjoyed seeing how each one is going to destroy the future/the future of our children/our children/the world.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 6, 2012

One of the strangest ads on the radio was talking about how a local politician was something like strange or weird and they played circus music while bashing him. I know nothing about this guy but the ad seemed so childish. I just avoided most radio ads when I heard them and don't have cable so I didn't have to see any on tv!

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Nov 6, 2012

I hate the ones where they use kids like "Please vote for my daddy" while the rest of the campaign ad was brimstone and fire.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 6, 2012

I heard one of those too but the daughter just talked about what a good dad he was. They didn't mention anyone else. I'm just glad they are over with!

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Nov 6, 2012

My phone has rung multiple times today . . . all political calls. I haven't even picked up the phone. I know it's election day. I know who is getting my vote. I know who the candidates are. I know where I go to vote.

8. KateL

KateL Habitué

Nov 6, 2012

I'm so glad that I have a DVR so I can fast-forward through commercials, and that I don't have a land-line telephone. The only phone calls I got were from the union, and there were only 2 of those.

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2012

I don't have a land-line phone, and I still averaged 3-5 calls a day for the last two weeks. And I don't live in a swing state, either (although many were for a state race).

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Nov 6, 2012

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2012

I'm so glad tonight is it.

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Nov 6, 2012

I did notice there was a few calls today.
    Glad it's over tonite.... Ahhhh.... a few yrs before it all begins again...

13. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Nov 6, 2012

Coming from the predictably republican TN to the more unpredictable NC I was so overwhelmed with the number of political ads I have seen.

14. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2012

I have seen almost none; however I am in a state which votes democrat. I did see one for Romney here this week. It seemed like a waste of money for whoever put it on. Why bother, the likelihood of California going for Romney is seriously doubtful.

15. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 7, 2012

To my mind one of the best things about living in a monarchy is we don't have to put up with or pay for this sort of circus.

16. houseofbooks

houseofbooks Companion

Nov 7, 2012

Hahaha, I'm so jealous. The endless commercials and calls are awful. Our phone was ringing off the hook yesterday. We're not even a battleground state or a swing state; NJ is always blue on the map. I'm glad it's done and over with.

17. smalltowngal

Nov 7, 2012

blazer~I was wondering if there were political ads when voting for Parliment.

18. Ross

Ross Comrade

Nov 7, 2012

Not counting on it. Previous election cycles I have seen political ads run several weeks after the candidate has already lost.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 7, 2012

In some parts of the world you would hear the ads blaring through car speakers as they travel through neighborhoods throughout the campaign.

20. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2012

We don't had ads as such. We have 'Party Political Broadcasts' which are short (5 mins) presentations by the main parties. usually 1 per night taking it in turns. Not every night though and they only play once! The three main parties get 2 or 3 slots and some of the minor parties may get 1 as well.

However the news programme cover the speeches etc.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 10, 2012

I just saw an ad that said "the time to prepare for election 2014 is now!" :rolleyes:

22. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2012

We have an election next week. Our Government has decided that we can elect our Police Commisioners! However they didn't ask us whether we actually want them so we are expecting about a 10% turnout for the electuons and a large number of us are planning to spoil our ballot.

23. smalltowngal

Nov 10, 2012

blazer~I would take that over the constant ads we have. I heard on the radio that the candidates spend upwards to $1 billion for political ads for the campaigning season.

I read on yahoo that they were already narrowing down who was going to run in 2016..

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 10, 2012

I am soooo glad the election is over for this reason alone! It was to the point that I was DVRing most of my programs so I could fast forward through the commercials or just muting them.

25. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 17, 2012

Well turn out for the police election was 15% Natioanlly. In my area we did 12%. Not only was turnout a record low but many that did vote (me included) deliberatly spoiled our ballot papers because we don't agree with the policy of having Police Commisioners and have not been given an opportunity to object. (We don't get the 'none of the above' option in the UK) So as well as a record low turnout there has also been a record set for the number of spoiled ballots! Not that it makes any difference. the Government have hailed he bllot as a success and we shall still get commisioners even though as fa as the population is concerned they have no mandate from us!