No more notebooks, please!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2007

I just spent about 25 minutes at Walmart rummaging through the .10 notebooks for 25 purple ones and 25 black ones. I bought 25 green ones yesterday and still have about 75 more to buy, but searching is a pain and I really can't handle getting them all at once! I'm going to be teaching readers' and writers' workshop so I need 25 for my homeroom students to use as their reading response journals. Then I need 25 more for each of them to use as their word study journals for the Words Their Way program. THEN I need 25 for each of my four classes of writers' workshop, totaling 150. :eek:

Is anyone else buying notebooks like crazy like this??

3. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2007

Yeah I did, I will be using them for Interactive notebooks. I got enough so each class (2) could have a new one every nine weeks. So I had a ton to buy, then well, figuring out where to put them while waiting to get into my classroom has been a challenge.

Yikes....... We are all nuts!

4. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Why are you buying them? Why not put it on a supply list? At $.10 a piece, parents can buy them, and buying 150 will add up. ::eek: I considered buying 160 for my freshman classes, but decided against it. I teach in a low income area, but so many of the students have money for the things that they "want" and not for what they need. I decided that I spend quite a bit already without buying their school supplies, too. That's the job of the parents. I don't expect teachers to buy my child's school supplies. I know I sound a little harsh, but I've heard "I can't afford this or that" for school many times, and the next day "I got a new ATV or video game" so many times that I have to reserve my sympathies for when they are truly needed.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2007

I am sure she is buying them for the same reason I did, I want to guarentee that I have what I want. Instead of students telling me they cannot get it, I will have it, no time lost. And most of the time students have no control over what their parents spend, if the parents choose to waste the money on a video game well the child cannot stop them, yet the child is still without needed supplies. 150 folders = $15, that isn't much money to ensure you have what supplies you want for a specific reason. IMHO

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2007

Exactly. :2up:

Because the notebooks are required by my curriculum, I cannot wait for students to bring things in. We'll be using the notebooks to learn the procedures and begin the curriculum on the very first day. I'm also working in a low income area where many of them may not be bringing in many of their own school supplies.

7. Jenny G

Jenny G Companion

Aug 8, 2007

1. Because my district doesn't allow supply lists.
    2. Because I would rather my students have food than buy supplies.
    3. So they will all be the same and I can control what type they are.

I think next year I will just buy like 15 of the entire case and then sort them out at home. If I don't use them, I'll change the colors for the next year and use the ones I have left. Saves so much time. On second thought, maybe I'll still do that this year. I need to go get some more.

8. mrsjam525

mrsjam525 Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I was just at Walmart today and forgot the notebooks:eek:

9. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Sorry, I don't know what this means. I'm not up on all the computer lingo.

10. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2007

Hehehe, sorry it means "in my honest opinion"....I didn't think about people not knowing what it meant, until after I hit enter. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I notice that most of you posting here teach grade school and maybe that is the difference. I do not not feel bad requiring approx. $7.00 worth of materials for my class. In fact, it's probably not even that much since I'm sure they are required to have writing utensils in all classes. I require a three ring binder, a notebook and one pack of index cards. Pens or pencils. Personally, I think this is very reasonable and I doubt that anybody will not eat because of these items. I agree that the younger children have no control over the decisions their parents make, but by high school students should know that they have to have at least paper and pens and not expect it to be provided for them.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2007

The grade levels are probably the difference.

Also, it's not that I would feel bad requiring the notebooks be brought in by the students, it's just that I know I would not get what I wanted from all 100 of my students, and definitely not in time to begin our notebook procedures on the first day.

13. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I agree with engmom. Parents can afford .10 notebooks. I spend a fortune on things for my class. Parents need to take responsibility. They had these children.

14. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2007

For me the decision to spend my own money on supplies for the students was out of personal selfishness. I want things a certain way, I want notebooks for 8th graders, folders for 7th graders, and binders for my 6th graders. I needed the materials to maintain my sanity. I got pencils because I cannot afford to waste 15 mins of classtime on pencils, which happend repeatedly last year. It is important that my students know they are to provide certain materials, but the ones I have to have to make all my summer planning work, well I got those. Also I cannot use my school budget for that, I have to buy all paper I will use for copies, I spent 70% of my budget on paper, then since I am a new teacher the rest went to basics for the classroom, like a pencil sharpener, rulers, etc.

For my middle school students, and for the high school students I had last year they didn't have choices over parental financial decisions. Many did not have basic supplies, but had cell phones, I didn't think anything of it, why? Becuase I don't know the reason people make the choices they do, so I accept the reality of the situation.

As long as my job is easier than last year, then any money of my own I have spent is money well spent.

15. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I have that with the binders, which is why I collected binders from kids who were going to throw them away last year. I already have a bunch, and a friend of mine who teaches at the local college has a lot more for me. She kept all the binders nobody came back for and offered them to me. They are like new-- AND she has section dividers as well as page protectors. Last year I had no problem handing out the binders; even the kids who were "better off" were happy to get one. I'm all for saving the kids and their parents money too, but even if I wanted to, I just can't provide everything myself. I spend money on many other things for the classroom and self-development.

I understand wanting the younger kids to have what they need, when they need it. It makes your job easier, too!;)

16. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 8, 2007

Okay you got a better deal on binders than I did, and I am not jealous. I thought I was doing well when I got 2" binders for .50 each. No dividers, no page protectors......boo hoo. :(

17. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

WOW! We can use as much paper as we need for copies. Nobody keeps track, thank goodness! I use a great deal!!! Although you are a new teacher, doesn't your room come equipped with a pencil sharpener, rulers, etc. Last year was my first year, but that stuff was already in the room. I did buy paper clips and tape, but I soon found out that all I had to do was go to the office and ask for the needed supplies. (within reason) It's too bad you can't use your budget for other teaching materials suchas; books, posters, and other learning materials instead of supplies.:(

18. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

If kids have cell phones, I feel they can afford .10 notebooks. Let's teach these kids some responsibility not teach them there are free hand outs everywhere in life. I'm sorry that is how I feel. I didn't have much growing up on a farm but my parents bought us our school supplies and we didn't get anything free. That is just how I feel about it. Teachers I know sell notebooks for .25 and the kids are happy to buy them from her. They feel good about being responsible.

19. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

Where did you find binders at that price? Believe me, even though many students will have the option to get a free one from me, some will turn their noses up. I can tell them where to find inexpensive ones, though!

20. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I agree, it is very frustrating. I had one student who "ran out of paper" (he was a hand full!) tell me if I wanted him to have paper, then I should give it to him! He started out with paper, but was constantly doodling and using it in other classes. He constantly bragged about his motorized vehicle and new hunting gear! I supply what I can, but the basics need to be provided from home--at least when it pertains to high school age students. They do need to learn responsibility. Many of my students' (and parents) already have the attitude that "If I don't provide for myself, somebody else will provide for me." How do we change if this attitude if we cater to it? My heart goes out to these kids and I feel it's my responsibility to teach them responisbility.

21. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 8, 2007

So is the school going to reimburse you since it's required by curriculum?

22. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 8, 2007

I do get money to spend in my classroom so I should get reimbursed. I'm saving my receipts.

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 9, 2007

I combine everything in reading class into a 1-inch binder... and besides that, I have a composition notebook and yet another binder :woot: in writer's workshop.

When I pick up lots at once, I can get the boxes they're in, too, which I can use as magazine organizers... :woot:

24. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

I have a lot less students (13) but bought composition notebooks in red, black, orange and green. They will be used for science, math, writing and reading response. I would like one for word study, but there were none in blue! So we will use folders with prongs instead. The best deal I found was 2/$1 so it added up. No WalMart near me.

25. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

Do you have Big Lots, Dollar General, Target, K-Mart, or Family Dollar? I don't know if any of them carry composition notebooks.(smaller than a regular notebook, right?) My Wal-Mart only has the black notebooks.

26. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

Target has them in colors, for 50 cents. I looked at Office Max, Staples, Fred Meyer, and a few other places. They were all about $2. I wanted the colors because I am anal. I paid for it I guess! Last year I just had black, and the kids mixed them up sometimes, even though they were brightly labeled and in seperate containers....

I only like comp. books because spiral notebooks lose pages and the spiral part rips out. It is just something I am specific about.

I work in a sort of hoity-toity area (I'm not hoity-toity) but we have no Big Lots, Wal Mart, K-Mart or decent dollar store. Seriously. We have Target, which I love. We have some dollar stores, but at 50 cents, they are cheaper at Target. I would have to drive like 40 minutes to get to Wal Mart! It's not worth the gas to me.

27. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 9, 2007

I understand about the spiral notebooks being a pain. Since my students' keep binders I suggest that they buy loose leaf. (remember-High School) Of course, they end up doing as they please. I just don't want them boring from each other. Some students would never buy anything, they would just bumb from somebody else everyday. I tell them it is not their neighbors responsibility to provide them with their paper and pencils. They eventually bring in what is needed.

As you can probably tell, I do not teach in a hoity toity area. We have plenty of discount stores; one on every corner!:lol: (I'm not joking) I wish my kids were a bit more competitive in the academic area. I love them, though! They challenge me everyday!:woot:

28. wig

wig Devotee

Aug 9, 2007

Mine are in the trunk of my car. :)

29. newteachfl

newteachfl Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I'm allowed into my classroom now and I realized that I shouldn't have purchased so many notebooks. With each trip to and from my car to my classroom with an armful of notebooks...in Florida heat...I've begun to think maybe I didn't need quite so many lol