NO more note passing???

Discussion in 'High School' started by Aliceacc, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2009

Something strange occurred to me today: I can't remember the last time I took a note from a kid.

I used to pick them up all the time from kids who were writing each other instead of doing math.

If they're texting during class, they're pretty good at it. Being caught with a cell phone in my school is an automatic 5 demerits, so the kids are pretty careful. (Of course, what goes on in the bathrooms is probably a different story.) And we've gotten pretty good at detecting who is texting without looking.

But I don't think I've picked up a single note all year!

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 22, 2009

Me neither. My kids don't really text in class, they know I'll see and tell them to put it away or I'll send it down to the office.

4. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

Maybe between texting (some) and their social networking sites (e.g. Facebook) at home in the evening, the info travels those channels instead.

5. Iowa_Teacher

Iowa_Teacher Rookie

Apr 24, 2009

I WISH our kids were worried about texting in class. I take at least one cell phone a week and I know some teachers who get around a cell phone a day; even thought we have a fairly strict policy (3 strikes and you're out and the phone staying in the office for a week)! I am constantly amazed that they have SO much to say to other students who are ALSO in class, but have very little to say about last night's reading assignment....hmm :)

6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Apr 25, 2009

The only class I've seen my students write notes in my study hall. And then they're doing it visibly because it's their way of following my "no talking" rule! I don't care about the note passing there because it keeps them quiet which makes it easier for the students who are actually working, to do their work. Even though I take away about a phone per week, I'm sure there are many I'm not catching and I do think texting is a part of the reason I don't see note passing. Even if they're not texting in my class where I am rather vigilant, I know there are teachers who are less so. So they probably just wait to do it in those classes.

7. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 25, 2009

As a sub I see phones out all the time. I have the rule that if I see the phone, I'll take the phone. That usually keeps the kids focused on what they need to do, but there are always a couple of kids who try to push the boundaries. They are usually surprised when I stick to my guns and take the phone away for the hour, but it does help them realize that they can live without it for 70 min. and survive.

8. Ms.H

Ms.H Companion

Apr 27, 2009

I still see lots of note passing-- lots among eighth graders and even some among tenth graders.
    We do have a policy, though, that phones get taken if they are used, and it costs money to get them back.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 27, 2009

Just be careful with phones-most of the time you don't see them. They remain hidden underneath clothing, in bags, etc. Hoodies are great-'course, you probably have uniforms? Maybe harder with that...

10. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Apr 28, 2009

I really think Myspace and Facebook are beginning to eliminate the "need" for notes. They used to pass notes saying that so and so asked them to prom, now they just post it on their Facebooks.

This is only my second year and the only note I've seen in my class was a note a kid wrote to me telling me a kid was doing something he wasn't supposed to be doing.

11. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

May 19, 2009

I'd say they are pretty good at it :) I consider myself pretty observant but I'm sure I'm missing kids texting from time to time.

12. bluelightstar

bluelightstar Companion

May 21, 2009

Kids text now, I think. That's all I can think up anyway.