No More Halloween

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by RainStorm, Oct 21, 2007.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 21, 2007

Our new principal has decided that our 30 year tradition of having a K-5 Halloween parade followed by a class party is outdated. It usually lasted 1 hour and 15 minutes, total. We had alternative activities in the Library for students who don't want to partake for any reason. They make special autumn crafts and watch a movie. There are about 8 students who go to the library each year out of 600 students. I can understand that many don't practice the tradition of Halloween, but that isn't the reason.

We can't have a harvest party, or an autumn party, or any kind of party. No parties are allowed PERIOD. None. They are "a waste of instructional time" according to the new prinicpal.

Rather than tell the parents, he just didn't put anything on the 31st on the school calendar that went out on Sept. 30th. He feels this is enough, and that parents will realize that nothing is going on.

We, the faculty, have tried to explain to him that the parents will just assume it is "things as usual" since lots of things get left off the school-wide calendar on a regular basis. We have been doing the same thing on Halloween for the past 30 years. Why would the parents expect anything different unless they are told? They have been sending costumes and party items on Halloween since their children were in kindergarten.

We have begged him to at least send a note to the parents saying we will not be having parties or a costume parade, but he insists it is not needed. He feels "certain" that no child will show up with a costume, and parents won't send party cupcakes and such. :down:

I'm really dreading Oct. 31st.

So sadly, I pack my costume up. I won't be wearing it to school this year.. or again, I guess. :mad:

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2007

That's so sad. I'm so glad my son's school is very traditional and their principal is very old fashioned. They are having a Halloween (not harvest) party and costume parade. I'm so sorry to hear that you principal is such a hardhead. He probably doesn't want to send home anything because he knows parents will throw a fit and he will be bombarded with questions. Chicken. :rolleyes:

4. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 21, 2007

Sounds like my old school "no time for fun". We didn't wear costumes, but did have a Fall Party. Do you have a newsletter you send home and just mention something about it in there?

5. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Oct 21, 2007

OK, so maybe it's just the meanie in me, but I say don't mention it to parents. Give him (the principal) just enough rope to hang himself on the matter. Of course parents will be sending costumes and treats. Let your kids enjoy the treats as they do a listening comprehension-read to me type activity near the end of the day. The kids will go home to tell their parents and then he will have to deal with their wrath. If he wants to be a chicken, he'll find out that he can run but he can't hide.

But maybe I'm just being crabby. I seem to be noticing that a lot this weekend.:confused:

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2007

MsTeacher...I was thinking the same thing! Don't you or any of the other teachers mention this to parents...and let him deal with it.

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2007

Not mean at all...it's called letting him lay in the bed he makes for himself.:haha:

8. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Oct 21, 2007

That's definetly true, his idea, his problem. I just thought of the newsletter idea to save you from the headache of Halloween day and...............no party. That's all.

9. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 22, 2007

Take a sick or personal day! Let a sub deal with whatever happens. If cupcakes and candy arrive with costume clad kids then you can say "I told you so"! :)

10. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 22, 2007

I'd tell the parents and have them call the principal if they think it is wrog. Enough encoraged mad parrents may change his mind

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2007

I agree... let it fall onto him. Let him explain it to parents. If parents ask before hand, simply direct them to the source that made the decision.

12. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Oct 22, 2007

My son who is in 3rd grade is having a story book party .All the children wear there fav. book charther (sp) .The teacher all let each child tell about there fav book. They have treats and a party with no halloween at all. The teachers also do a school wide parade around the school.
    I think that the principal will get do feed back . Keep us posted.

13. kburen

kburen Cohort

Oct 22, 2007

I'm with everyone who says that you should just let it be. Don't tell the parents and enjoy the treats if they come in and if the kids come in costumes, oh well. What's he going to do? Send half (or more) of the school home to change???? Let him deal with it....It's his idea to NOT have it, so it should be HIS responsibility to make that announcement...If he doesn't he needs to deal with it.

I also agree with the person who said to let the kids still enjoy the treats at some other point in the day. Maybe not a formal party, but read a story to them and let them snack. Save cookies or chips or something for a special treat another day if you have too much stuff.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2007

I agree... sorry I may be "old school" but school without a Halloween party???? It's such a tradition. So many of the traditions are getting taken out...some just need to stay.

I agree when they come they come. I think it stinks for the parents who are taking the day off to spend at their kid's Halloween party!!! I know I had parents take half days so they could be there to help not only their child, but the class!!!

If you have to do an "informal" party....brainstorm a list of what books some of the costumes might be in!!!

Another 2 cents.... I attended a Halloween party some years back for a friend's child. This teacher gave each group of kids (at their desks) a bowl of candy...they had to count out some many of each candy.... It was really not fun at all. I felt bad because one chid who was just excited about the whole day had to sit out of the activiity & didn't get any treats....

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 22, 2007

Although it's not on a state test parties can serve a purpose - community or team building. How great is it when students compliment eachother about their costumes! Kids need time to relax & parties are a great time for that. Many teachers make them work toward their part time too. Do you know if you'll be allowed to do a Christmas party? :down:

16. desari

desari Rookie

Oct 22, 2007

You wanna lay that drama on a poor defenseless sub???? Awww man that's mean. LOL If I were the sub i would work it in the day. LOL

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 24, 2007

The district I work for doesn't let the kids dress up either. I'm not sure if they'll allow a party in the classroom, but I'm going to give my students a bag of gummy bears in a little plastic Halloween candy holder. Nothing fancy, but I just want to do a little something. I'm a long-term sub who only works w/ my kids a couple times a week for 30 minutes.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Oct 27, 2007

I bet a lot of teachers will be saying, "I told you so!" If there's a derivation from any routine, then the principal should send out the proper communication. It's most certainly not having to do with you, and the kids will not be too pleased about this. It also will not reflect on you in this matter. Have the kids or parents asked anything about the parade?

I mean, it's funny... I had probably 3-5 parents tell me within the past week, "It's okay if I bring in goodie bags for the class, right?" and I was like, "Sure." It was their pregogative to ask. So with your new principal, this will be interesting, to say the least.

How much did the kids and parents get into the tradition? It seems like it was made quite a bit deal at your school.

On the other hand, we just started our annual parade last year... and I also started the tradition of doing a Halloween spooky science mini-unit. I most certainly hope it doesn't change any time soon. It's being made a pretty big deal at our school, and it's made me more excited about Halloween because before that, we weren't allowed to wear costumes, but we could have celebrations.

19. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Oct 27, 2007

So no parents have asked anything about the party at all??? To confirm what is needed or what time they should be there?

I think it is unprofessional on the principal's part to not own up to his decision. But I also think it's kind of silly to not tell parents what is going on. I'd be putting the information in my weekly newsletter.

20. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Oct 27, 2007

That's my reaction to the situation. If he thinks for one minute that the kids won't be coming into school wearing costumes because he left it off the calendar, he's in for a big surprise. It will look good on him. Bah, humbug (I know... wrong holiday, but it seems appropriate!!:p)

21. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Oct 28, 2007

Let us know what happens! :)

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 28, 2007

Oh man, this guy is in for a rude awakening! Why take that experience away from him????????

Don't say one word and pray nobody else gives it away. If your kids show up in a costume, just welcome them as you would any other day! You can still do a lot of Halloween stuff - write/draw about your costume, make a jack-o-lantern out of construction paper, read 5 Little Pumpkins, or some other Halloween/Fall themed book, have them write about their favorite part and do an activity, put kids in groups and give each group a pumpkin, have them estimate how many seeds will be inside, then cut it open and let them count out the seeds, weigh the pumpkins before and after cleaning them out -- lots of neat activities that are not a "party."

But I would not say one word. Give out the treats at snack time or have a quick snack time at the end of the day or give the cupcakes out right after lunch recess - lots of ways around his silliness. He sounds like he is on an ego trip or into control. Let him deal with all of it and don't say one word pro or con. Just smile!

And PLEASE tell us how Wednesday goes! We are anxious for this guy to get his lesson.:eek:

23. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 28, 2007

Oh, yeah, I can't wait to hear. We all dress up and parade through the building. Classes have parties in the afternoon and themed work the rest of the day. It is always wild, but fun.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 28, 2007

No, don't do that to a sub. You really want them on your good side. I do agree with keeping your mouth shut about the change. It should supply some good entertainment for you. Heck, if you're really daring you could let the kids wear the costumes in class for the last part of the day.

25. Alaskanteach

Alaskanteach Cohort

Oct 31, 2007

I want an update!

26. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2007

Me too!

27. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2007

Me three!!! :)

28. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Oct 31, 2007

I WAS KIDDING ABOUT THE SUB PART!!! :) I want to hear how the day went too!

29. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Oct 31, 2007

Well... I told my kids not to bring costumes. I still had a few who put them in their bookbags (they aren't allowed to wear costumes on the bus...in the past they had to bring them and change into them at school)... but of course, we didn't let them wear them.

The principal.... wasn't in school today! Imagine that!

It was a long, dull, boring day.

We did a fun "candy math" activity. Other than that, it was a dull day.

How sad!

I don't know about other classes. Haven't had a chance to ask around.

*sigh* all we do is test, test, test.. to prepare them for the state tests... it is sad

30. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2007

How nice of the principal to be out!!:rolleyes::down:

He was probably out buying a costume & Halloween candy!!!:unsure:

31. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2007

I want to hear about the parents.....did they complain???

32. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Oct 31, 2007

oh, and real nice of your principal to be out today......wimp!!!!

33. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 1, 2007

No kidding.:eek:hmy:

How sad for those kids.

34. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2007

UNBELIEVEABLE! The principal has shown his true colors. At least, on the bright side, you now know what you can expect of him.

You should go out today and get some 1/2 price Halloween candy for them for All Saints Day - just don't tell anyone what day it is. Or as some say, Day of the Dead, because, I think, all the students are half dead from sugar crash and being up late and all the excitement, and the teachers just wish we were dead!!! haha

For next year plan lots of pumpkin activities for the day. It makes them feel like it is Halloween anyway. And good for you for doing the candy math. IT IS PART OF OUR AMERICAN CULTURE. Soon we won't have any American culture at all - just a grey blob of people with no distinguishing marks.

35. MsTeacher98

MsTeacher98 Companion

Nov 1, 2007

Wow, you know? You're right. That's exactly how I've been feeling lately, but you expressed it much better. We are so PC and afraid of offending anyone that it has almost become offensive in its own way. We will have nothing left of ourselves.

36. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Nov 1, 2007

Thanks for the reply. I want to start a new thread about this. Any ideas anyone?

37. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Nov 1, 2007

bonneb....feel free!!!