No more Glitter???

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissScrimmage, Aug 28, 2007.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 28, 2007

So, a new policy is being implemented in centres in my area. We are no longer allowed to use glitter. We can use glitter GLUE, but not the loose confetti-type glitter. Apparently it is a safety hazard because it can get in a child's eye and do some serious damage. I have never personally heard of any "glitter incidents", but apparently it happens. We have to mix all our remaining loose glitter with glue and use it up and then it's strictly glitter glue. Does anyone else have a policy like this? How do you feel about it? I think it's a bit extreme, but I may be biased... I LOVE using glitter!

3. childcare teach

childcare teach Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

i think it is a little extreme. if you want the chidlren with the glitter . it should be ok. we also use the color sand here. we also place the paper in a small box and have the children put glue on it and then shake the box to cover the glue with the sand. we also o not use giltter or colored sand with younger then three here.

4. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

but the glitter glue can still get on your hands, right? and glitter can still come off. right?

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2007

Oh heavens. If they get it in their eyes once, they will learn to not goof around with it again wont they? There will always be something that will get in thier eyes or hurt them. Sooner or later the schools will have everything lined in bubble wrap. Geesh.

6. Tyland

Tyland Rookie

Aug 28, 2007

Some glitters are plastic, not metal so wouldn't that be less of a danger to the eye? I worked in a school where it was banned and didn't mind the glitter glue. We also had glitter paint, very nice but I've had sponge brushes with glitter left behind that will get onto your hands, so there you have it.

I use glitter as a demonstration for spreading germs. I pretend to sneeze into my hand (which has some glitter already) then shake hands with the kids, touch toys, etc. They're amazed by the pretend germs getting around and ask for more! Then we wash our hands, no more germs and no glitter. A glitter ban would definitely cancel that. :(

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 28, 2007

get some orzo pasta and make glitter (I mean colored pasta) using rubing alcohol and good old fashioned food color!~ ;)

8. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 28, 2007

Glitter Germs: can you use the kind you find in the cake decorating section at the store?? (edible glitter)

9. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Aug 28, 2007

PS: I remenber as a kid getting sand in my eyes...... are they going to ban sand in the playground??

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 28, 2007

Nice to see that I am not the only "rebel" in the group ;) ! Yes, I believe children should be safe, but like ABall mentioned, sand goes into eyes, too! Should we ban that? There is a fine line and I think sometimes we go too far to protect our kids! Also, kids (especially preschoolers!) are SO unpredictable! Anything could be potentionally dangerous, just because we have NO idea what they are going to try! Some of the children I have cared for have tried the craziest things... we can't protect them from everything!

11. FallCreekGal82

FallCreekGal82 Companion

Aug 28, 2007

There is the option to find cosmetic grade glitter. It is used for shimmer in soaps, etc...and is okay for facial use. That means there isn't a problem with getting it into the eye and causing damage.

12. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

And some things, (hate to say it because i know some will disagree) children will just have to figure out by trial and error. Burn a little eyeball, irritate a little skin, get a little owie. most of it they'll shake off.

13. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Aug 28, 2007

How did we ever make it to adulthood? We used glitter, sand, glue, scissors (pointy :p ), paint, staples, etc., in school and lived to tell about it. I'm all for keeping kids safe, but don't they have to learn safety as well? If they are never exposed to anything, how will they learn the correct way to use it? Good luck--I hope you can still use cotton balls!!:lol:

14. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 28, 2007

We don't use glitter with children under three. It can be quite dangerous if the glitter is made of metal.

15. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Aug 28, 2007

I'm with you engmom! It is getting to the point of ridiculous - this "take away anything from children that could possibly/maybe/might cause someone some harm some day" is ludicrous. Getting out of bed could kill you if done the wrong way!! :lol:

16. Tyland

Tyland Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

When my school banned glitter, I brought in a pair of safety goggles as a little protest, saying I'd be sure to have the kids wear them for every glitter activity. It didn't change the rule but made my co-workers smile.

As for the edible glitter question, I've never tried it. But schools with a no-candy policy wouldn't allow it because it's sugar!!

17. CraftyTeacher

CraftyTeacher Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

That's crazy. To ban ANY material completely is nuts, IMHO, because there will always be an exception or a way to make it safe. Like the plastic glitter people here have mentioned, which is safe.

LIFE is unsafe, really. I had a kid run directly into a chainlink fence the other day, giving himself a cut and big bruise on his head. Maybe we should ban fences, too.

I just did a quick search on google and couldn't find one single documented case of an eye injury from glitter.

You can use salt colored with food coloring to make a glitter substitute, by the way.