No more Diet Pepsi

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Rabbitt, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2014

This is my 4th time giving it up. SIGH. It's been 24 hours.

I have a 60 pound weight loss goal and have hit a stand still after 35 pounds. Hoping giving up the artificial sweetener helps. Other times I've craved sweets but I figure natural sugar is better than the artificial. Plus I will hopefully be able to control the sweets.

I plan to toughen through any caffeine problem. A friend said he took one 35mg caffeine pill a day when he got headaches he could not tolerate. Hoping it doesn't come to that. He did that for a few months. His soda of choice was Mt.dew too.

It's conferences week so please pray for me.

Any advice or inspirational stories welcomed.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

Once you get past that initial withdrawal phase it gets much easier. The longer you can hold out the less you want to break down and ruin that success. I did it probably 4 years ago and haven't looked back. I don't drink any caffiene at all anymore and know I'm much healthier by replacing those drinks with water.

4. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2014

Good luck, and congratulations on your accomplishments so far!

Maybe work on increasing fruit and vegetable intake? It may help control pangs.

I tend to feed off inability to make decisions when I try to control weight -- I go to a place with an incredible array of sweets and find myself unable to decide, and eventually guilt takes over and I leave without anything. Sometimes it works:D

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 9, 2014

You're doing great so far! When I kicked Diet Coke, I drank a ton of water the first few days. Staying hydrated helped keep the headaches away.

6. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Nov 9, 2014

No words of advice, just wanted to say that 35 lbs is an awesome accomplishment! It shows your dedication and determination. You've got this. ;)

7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Nov 9, 2014

You can do it!!!

I gave up Diet Dew back in August... only because the last one I had made me sick and nauseated.

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Nov 9, 2014

I would die, absolutely die. I drink diet soda like a dog drinks water on a hot summer day.

Godspeed.

So weird and slightly tangential (but shows my addiction to diet soda) --my mom and I have a running joke that if the "end times" were to happen, we of course would refuse the "mark of the beast" we would be so pathetic begging for diet soda, not food, not clothing, soda. Sad, but true.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Nov 9, 2014

I have a soda stream and use a diet root beer that is sweetened with stevia. I haven't found other soda flavors sweetened with stevia or I'd be all over them! I drink one diet soda in the morning to get my caffeine fix. I've tried to stop drinking caffeine and I had three days of migraines in a row. I'm going to wait until next summer to try again.

10. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2014

Thank you.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2014

Thanks! I know I can too. It's not the best week of choice considering it's conferences. But excuses excuses excuses sometimes.

12. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2014

Thank you! 60 pounds is round one. That will put me at 5'8 and 180 pounds. Round two will hopefully get me to about 150 pounds.

13. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2014

No withdrawals yet.
    30 hours
    I do find myself going for one at usual times.
    I do like putting fruit into water pitchers in the fridg.

14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 9, 2014

Haha..ditto! I actually really don't crave sweets very much, so I don't think it really effects me as far as weight loss goes. Honestly, I've never thought of diet soda as "sweet," so I always get confused when people say it leads to cravings for "real" sweets. My teammate, who is also an avid diet pop drinker, says that one day diet coke drinkers will be like smokers...hidden off in our own "diet coke" area not to be seen in front of children, haha.

OP, my mom decided to drastically cut down her diet coke habit (was not intending to give it up entirely) and she has found that since she drinks it so rarely, it doesn't even taste good to her anymore. She started with one per day, then went to one every other day, then two per week, then one per week. Now that's she's been on the one per week for awhile, she says it doesn't taste good and she finds herself not really wanting it anymore.

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Nov 9, 2014

That's a great idea making your own soda with stevia. They do sell soda like that in the natural foods stores around here but they are very expensive. I never thought to make my own since I use stevia in my coffee also. I have been drinking flavored seltzer although it's not as yummy as the Pepsi Max I used to drink :mad:

16. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Nov 9, 2014

I only craved sweets AFTER I quit the other 3 times. I always crave chocolate...monthly. :eek:

My doctor said quitting is likely to hinder weight loss more than help. But she still thinks it's healthier without. It weight starts piling on, I will go back to DP. HAHAHA

17. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2014

I enjoy water with cucumber, mint and lemon - flavor without the sugar helped me. I get tired of plain water really quickly. I have enjoyed green tea in the morning recently. I applaud you - I need to give up diet sodas, as well.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 1, 2014

Keep up the good work Rabbitt!

I personally never got into drinking diet sodas. My favorite soda is cherry 7Up, but I don't drink it much. I can go several mos or yrs w/i drinking sodas at all.

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 3, 2014

Doing quite well and have not noticed any differences.
    No headaches or weight loss/gain.It almost is not rewarding. but I'm not turning back.It was going to be my New Year resolution and it happened early.

I've had 2 since I quit...both social events. My husband and I also gave up alcohol almost 7 years ago and drinking water at social events doesn't cut it for me.

The only times I still crave a DP is in the morning getting ready and driving.

20. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 4, 2014

My favorite soda is Sierra Mist Natural.

Why?

It has no caffeine (which I can't have) and it has cane sugar as the sweetener. Therefore it doesn't have that sometimes odd taste that certain artificial sweeteners have.

If you have a costco near you - try the Bai0 drinks, you can get a box of something like 16 for $20 (They normally cost like $3 for one bottle). It's what my dad drinks when he wants something with a little flavor (He is diabetic and has lost like 25 lbs just eating a low-carb diabetic-friendly diet)

21. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2014

Congrats on a good start! I lost 81 pounds in 11 months, and have been stuck now for 5 months. The nutritionist put me on thyroid meds even though the med docs said I didn't need them. (Med docs don't test every thyroid function.) I also can use only Stevia for a sweetener--no Crystal Light or anything. Good luck! Keep us posted!

PS--I showed my med doc my tyroid stuff, which I had been ordering over the internet. I made a believer out of him, and now he's willing to write me a prescription for it! Will be a lot cheaper that way! :)

22. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2014

I don't have a costco but I will still look into these drinks. Thanks

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 4, 2014

I used to drink diet sodas constantly. Then I began to experience repeat uti's. I did some research and learned that artificial sweeteners can trigger uti symptoms. I quit using any kind of artificial sweetener and the symptoms disappeared, almost overnight. It's been almost two years and I have never felt better!

24. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Dec 4, 2014

I have been using truvia.

25. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 5, 2014

I've only had one bad reaction to a diet soda - it was when I was in the hospital for a 3-5 day Video EEG (that ended up being 13 days because they wanted to experiment a bit). Basically, it was my first time drinking Shoprite Brand Diet Root Beer (I drank Shoprite Brand Diet Orange at the time, so we assumed it would be rather similar in ingredients) and it didn't turn out well. It made me vomit a bit, enough that they just put me on Zofran to get me to stop. Zofran was... quite the strong Antiemetic - like three seconds after they put it in the IV, my stomach was calmed and felt oddly cold. Then my parents returned the rest of that root beer and the Video EEG continued, with 1 1/2 days spent resolving that issue. The rest of the days were peculiar.