No luck searching for a job...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wsuteacher, Jun 11, 2012.

1. wsuteacher

wsuteacher Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

Hi, colleagues!

I just recently graduated with my degree in Secondary Education and moved from Kansas to Connecticut. I have applied for MANY teaching jobs (20+) but have not had any interviews yet. I am wondering why no school is calling me. I think I look great on paper and am definitely qualified.

Does not having my certification yet affect my chances of getting a job? What about not graduating from a local university or not having any teaching experience?

Let me know what you think! Thanks!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

I think that not having a teaching cert from Conn can definitely keep an admin from calling.

4. YoungJediKnight

YoungJediKnight Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

I just graduated as well and I too think I look alright on paper, but people have told me both on this website and in person that if you have your license in hand you instantly become a bit more competitive.

SO my only suggestion is keep trying do not give up!! Also when the school year starts start to substitute, there is always next year and by then me and you should have our licenses in hand.

:)

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

Not having a teaching license in the state you want to teach in is definitely hurting you. How are you expecting to work without a license if you are offered a job? It can take months to get a license once you submit all the paperwork. Have you started the process?

6. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Jun 11, 2012

Connecticut is a small state with MANY teacher certification programs. You will need to not only have certification from CT, but apply to as many places as you can. 20 is really not all that many. I am also moving back to CT and looking for a position right now and my applications are numbered at over 100. It shouldn't matter that you didn't graduate from a local university, but you really need to have the CT certification in progress.

7. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Jun 11, 2012

I agree with other posters- start getting certified in your new state immediately, and start sending out apps like crazy...even if they haven't posted an opening. When I was hired in early August last year, I'd sent out over 200 applications, packets, and emails. The best candidate in the world will not find a job if they send out a few apps and then wait for schools to contact them. Be persistent, and good luck! :)

8. wsuteacher

wsuteacher Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

Thanks for your responses! Yes, I have applied and am just waiting on the Dept. of Ed. to process all my paperwork. I'm thinking another 4-6 weeks...

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2012

Is that what they told you? My state DoE tells new applicants that it's 4-6 months.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 11, 2012

I agree with the previous posters. . . why hire you when you are not yet certified over someone who already has their certification? I know here in Michigan you can't be hired without the certification if there is a qualified, certified teacher.

Also 20 isn't that many apps at all.

11. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 11, 2012

I've done 20 in an hour.

12. TryingToTeach11

TryingToTeach11 Rookie

Jun 11, 2012

My certification only took about 4 or 5 weeks so I'm sure you'll get it soon.

As far as aps, I filled out sooo man and only heard back from one. I started getting calls when I sent out emails, especially to the catholic schools. They are more likely to be understanding of your pending certification when you are able to explain it in person. So send out emails, and if you can consider private schools I would. They are a little more personal and seem to respond much more often.

Another thing i would do is change your current address to one in CT. If you know where you'll be living or have a friend or family member with an address use that. Ps will nix you just for being out of state.

Good luck!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2012

CT, like much of the tri-state area, is facing a glut of teachers. You're going to have to apply to a whole lot more than 20 schools.

Do NOT wait to see an opening!!!!! Apply, today, to every single school within an hour's commute. Public, private, religious, charter-- send a cover letter and resume to every single principal.

You say your degree is in secondary education-- which subject?

14. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Jun 12, 2012

Like others have said, CT has more candidates for positions than they have actula positions. I have been looking for almost 5 years now and still don't have a contracted position. (and I have my CT cert.) -
    You have applied for your CT cert - do you need to take the Praxis tests? CT requires higher scores than other states. Also, CT is in the midst of some serious educational reform, so you want to make sure you have all the requirements needed.
    Because of the reform, many teachers are being laid-off and fewer positions are being offered.
    All I can say is good luck, be patient, and apply to anything you can!

15. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jun 12, 2012

It is true that there is a glut of teachers in CT. Far more applicants than positions, although the prospects are better in high school than elementary.

When I took my first position in 1990, I was told I was hired out of a pool of 100 applicants. We thought it was bad then. Fast-forward to 2000, when I was hired for my second job and was told I was selected out of 200. Now it is more like 3--400 for elementary positions! And I am still looking...

But I see many more high school jobs advertised. Also, there are many districts who like to hire people from out of state for a fresh viewpoint. My husband's district is one of them. I can't tell you how many applicants they have hired from CA and other states. So it won't necessarily work against you.

Are you checking CTREAP? There have been a load of high school positions posted recently.

Also, we are in the midst of reform here and so you may want to read up on that. There are articles on the CEA website that are viewable to the general public, I believe. Good luck!