No LCD Projector bulbs

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kyblue07, Jan 14, 2009.

1. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Jan 14, 2009

I know things are tight all over, but this is getting ridiculous.

I went to request a new bulb for my lcd projector and was told that we had none. A few days later it was announced to us that money is too tight and they are not going to order any bulbs and to make due with using the whiteboard.

I understand that money is tight. I have an overhead to use transparencies and, of course, a whiteboard. Adapt and overcome I've always said. But it just kills me that we have thousands of dollars sunk into smartboards, elmos, digital cameras and it all sits idle because we can't afford the bulbs for the LCD's.

And after all the clamoring and teacher standards about incorporating techonology, now they say you can teach just as good a lesson without it. Yet, even just a year ago, I would have been critized in an observation if I wasn't using it. Don't get me wrong. A good lesson doesn't have to have technology. Just bugs me that they harp & holler over teachers incorporating it and using it but turn around and say we don't need it now that we can't afford it.

Anyone experiencing anything similar? Any advice?

3. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

Are you aware that those light bulbs cost as much as $300 each? I can see where they get to this point in the year, and in this economy, that things are running tight enough to limit expenditures so that basic items such as copy paper and toner do not run out. I know it must be frustrating, but do try to be understanding. Times are tough right now, and I'd rather have my job than a projector...

4. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Jan 14, 2009

The replacement bulbs for our LCD projectors run over $500 each...which is why it kills me that I have to share a room with a teacher who never turns it off, even though she rarely uses it...arrghhhh

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jan 15, 2009

Get this:

Last year I taught in an inner-city school. The social studies teacher worked really hard to get two smart boards for the school-one paid for, one donated. She had one, I had the other. We were suppose to pilot them, and then hopefully all the other rooms would get them for the next year. There was only one wall they could put the smart board on-the one that connected with her wall-for wiring. It had the whiteboard on it, so they removed my whiteboard and put the smartboard up. So I had a smartboard, and no whiteboard. Or chalkboard.

It took a month and a half before someone from tech came to hook up the software for it, so I had to teach with an overhead, which kept burning out and breaking.

They FINALLY got it up and running, but I had no training. So I figured out the basic functions, and two weeks later, the bulb burned out. They never replaced it. I had to use the overhead (on the days it worked and I had a bulb for it) until I resigned in early February. So I had a smartboard for about three weeks.

It was handy during sex ed-GIANT pictures of VDs is very effective on middle schoolers. But what a waste.

6. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jan 15, 2009

:rofl:

7. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Jan 15, 2009

I understand your pain. We have a technology similar to the Smart Board called the "interwrite board" that only works when a laptop is hooked up to it. Unfortunately, they've never given us training in it, so they just sit in our classrooms and cover up half the chalk board collecting dust, while we too struggle to get LCD bulbs. :help:

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 15, 2009

We've actually found if more cost-effective to order new projectors!

Buy a new projector, and then sell the OLD projector.

9. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 15, 2009

I know it sounds crazy, but if it were me I'd just pay for the bulb out of pocket and try to get refunded with my $350 classroom supplement for next year.