No Job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by koop, Aug 20, 2007.

1. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 20, 2007

Well I finally called the vice principal I interviewed with last week and she told me what I already knew, i didn't get the job. What a surprise:lol: . I asked her what I could have improved upon and at first she said very little but then went on to tell me that I need to relax, be more focused, be more motivated. That one I don't understand. If your there for an interview aren't you motivated? She said the position was taken to the next step ( superintendent) by two people who had student taught in the building and knew the building better than I did. I just can't get a break. It is so frustrating.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2007

I'm sorry to hear that.

Are you willing to relocate? Lots of places are still in need of teachers. My district is still around 500 short even now, and school starts in a week.

4. koop

koop Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I live in New York with four kids and a mother who is battling breast cancer. I really did not want to go too far from her. She is doing well ( had a masectomy and they say they got all the cancer), but she has also recently had three infections in her wound and spent a week in the hospital a wekk ago because she had such a bad infection. My oldest will start 11th grade this year and then I have a two year old to worry about. As much as I would like to leave the state, it would be very difficult.

5. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 21, 2007

Koop, I am so sorry to hear that. Best wishes to your Mom. I can't relocate either (2 kids in school and a husband with a job). I was given a very similar critique by a principal, "show enthusiasm" ??? How??? I think I am very enthusiastic, sometimes overly. I think Mrs.H put it well in her post. She said we don't know what they want and that it varies with every interview, even in the same school. Hang in there. It sounds like you are due for something good to go your way!! I am pulling for you.

6. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 21, 2007

Koop, I am sorry to hear of your current situation. :( Hang in there though. I know it's hard...

I've heard many people state that they were told that they lack enthusiasm and motivation after interviews. I am always told that my enthusiasm is a strong point. What do I do? I smile A LOT, am expressive, and do other things SO dorky that I cringe when I look back. I can't help it... when I'm nervous, I amplify my personality. I don't know why, but people seem to eat this up. I'm not suggesting that you should act like a bumbling, giggly dork who doesn't take it seriously... just maybe try to appear more relaxed. Pretend you're an actress when you go into an interview. Pretend that you are Drew Barrymore. I know, I sound crazy. But it works! :) I may not have a contracted position yet, but I've always been one of the "finalists". (If I had more experience, I'd be set).

*Make sure to sell yourself and show how badly you want that job! You are a salesperson, selling YOU. Make them WANT you! :)

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2007

I know it's no consolation, but that school isn't the right one for you. There is one out there. I've had no luck up until last week, when I interviewed with a principal who really put me at ease. She started off by saying, There is no need to be nervous, I understand what you are going through.. blah blah blah... but you know what? I think I got the job, because I wasn't worried about saying the wrong thing. She acted HUMAN!

You will find someone who gives you the chance you deserve. Up unil then, use this time to focus on taking care of your mom. Your heart and mind probably could not handle teaching and caretaking, so look at it as an opportunity to put your family first.

I feel for you... but I know things will get better.