No Job!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsDeb, Jul 12, 2007.

1. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Four weeks ago I had an awesome interview at my dream school. The principal said that he was going to hire me and to act surprised when the school board called in a few weeks. Well, I waited and waited, and NO CALL. Yesterday, I got a rejection letter in the mail. I don't know what could have happened but I am devastated! The rejection would have been much easier to take if I never had that ray of hope to begin with! I spoke with the principal today and he really offered no explanation at all just that he chose someone else. I can't imagine what happened and now I'm so discouraged!!!!
    Just needed to vent...........
    :(

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

I'm sorry. It was very unprofessional for the principal to offer you a position without being able to back it up.

Have you considered moving to a new location? Vegas needs good teachers!

4. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 12, 2007

That is pretty cruel- talk about dangling the carrot. I'm so sorry to hear your news :(

5. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

That's just plain cruel!

6. sasafras1000

sasafras1000 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Oh that stinks. I am sorry to hear that you didn't get the job; that would the worst thing to hear especially when you thought you had it. I guess just take a few days off and then try again with other schools.

7. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

I'm sorry, that was pretty cruel of the principal to tell you that, then not give you any explanation of what happened from the time of the interview till now.. I know its easier said than done, but brush it off- you wouldn't want to work for that kind of principal anyway. Just as this interview came along, I'm sure others will too. Just have patience

8. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I'm so sorry. That's terrible that the principal would get your hopes up like that and then not even offer a good explanation as to why he did what he did. If there is any positive side to this, you've seen what kind of person this principal can be. You have to ask yourself if you would really want to work for someone like that anyway.

9. mincc

mincc Companion

Jul 12, 2007

I can almost top that, almost, but prefer not to go into the details. Let's just say I had 2 BAD experiences recently that let me so upset. I understand how you feel. I truly do. What he did was unprofessional and unkind, something I have seen way too much of in this field lately...but there are nice and honest admins out there. I have met them. You will, too. We just need to get them to hire us.

I bet you he hired someone who knew someone and did not have the guts to tell you. Here, they like to keep that hush-hush even though it is SO blatant.

Keep your chin up and remember it is NOTHING you did, OK? :angel:

10. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Thanks for the support!
    The WORST part (as if it could get any worse) is that this is my daughter's school!! I have to face this cruel man! My husband wants to pull her out due to this whole thing, I'm not sure what to do. Do I want my children to go to a school where someone like this is in charge? It was downright mean, unprofessional and unethical.

11. willsgirl

willsgirl Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I've thought about this all afternoon, and, IMHO, I'm not so sure I wouldn't go to the super or school board president and say something. If their admin. is that unprofessional, there is no telling what else he might do. And, with your kid in the school, you have a right as a parent to say something, if not for her own well-being. Don't blame your husband...mine would probably go kick his,,,and then pull the kids out.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2007

The school board makes the decisions, not the principal. The principal recommends candidates- the school board has to approve. Whoever was hired may have had some connections or may have been more appealing to the board for one reason or another (money is usually an issue, or connections...) Why not try and schedule an appt. with the principal and ask what happened. Any information you get could help you in future interviews...

13. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I did talk to the principal and he was evasive. And I had to be nice to him - as much as I didn't want to - my daughter is a student!!Somebody could have called a favor but around here, the school board is just a formality and the principals usually have the say in who to hire. I'm still looking for a job so I'm not going to burn any bridges (even with him) and I definitely won't bring it up to the school board. I'm hoping I can land a job at another school in the district and bring my kids with me!

14. adria

adria Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

I am sorry but consider this thank God you are not working for a principal like that. Teachers need support, he doesn't eem supportive.

15. wannateachintx

wannateachintx Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Isn't this just a formality though? You would think that whomever the principal recommends would be supported by the school board. Not like they know anyway all the applicants.

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2007

Good riddance, I say!!
    Sorry he was so rude to you. No one deserves to be treated like that. If you don't have the guts to tell the truth, then you shouldn't be a principal. Shame on him. What goes around comes around...just like JT says!!

17. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 12, 2007

I know you spoke with him by phone, but ya know, I think I'd have no clear conscience until I spoke IN PERSON with him. Let him squirm if he needs to. You may not even get a truthful response, but he needs to learn from this. I would not worry about your daughter being in the school (retaliation) since the principal is usually far removed from the classroom, and honestly, I don't think he'd have the nerve to cause any problems after you talk to him. I'd have to do it or deal with a building resentment.

18. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jul 12, 2007

Wow. That's really crappy. And it doesn't make sense either. It seems like there's more to the story. Like someone mentioned before, the principals are the ones who recommend a candidate and school boards just approve. So unless the school board found something totally wrong with you I don't see how it could have anything to do with them. I can see why your husband would wanna pull your child out tho. But I'd only do it if you could afford to do it.

Anyway, like someone else said, there are some nice principals out there. So keep your head up and keep looking. You don't need to work for a jerk like that anyway.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

It really depends on the school board. In the OP's case the board MAY know her as she is a community member and has a child in the school (which may have raised some concerns among the board- not that it should but boards can be like that...) We had a candidate this year who was a parent. She was so excited about the offer that she was telling everyone in town that she got the job and then the board got whiff of it and members threatened to not vote infavor of the candidate since she was talking about her job all over town before the board made it 'official'...Boards can be tough. It's not always just a formaility. Principals will sometimes put 2 or 3 names before a board to fill one position. Some boards like that 'power'...and a lot depends on their confidence in the principal as well as POLITICS...

20. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

Update: I spoke with a teacher at the school yesterday who told me what he thinks happened......
    In May, I applied for my daughter to attend a gifted magnet school (please note that her current school doesn't have any gifted program and my daughter is extremely gifted). I initiated the paperwork and met with the gifted teacher & principal at the magnet school. I didn't really like the school, it's too far away so I reversed the paperwork and decided to keep her at the current school. Well, whoever manages the paperwork found out that the principal wanted to hire me and she informed him off my momentary disloyalty to his school (never mind what's in the best interest of my daughter!). The principal took offense that I would even consider pulling my child out of his school and that was the end of my job there. It never even occured to me that something like this could affect my job chances!
    No wonder he didn't tell me any of this. It just sounds ridiculous!

They just lost out on a TERRIFIC teacher!
    I'm trying to keep my chin up and remain optimistic about obtaining a job. Thanks for lending an ear and support!!

21. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 14, 2007

That sounds rather unprofessional on his part! Seems he might be a bit insecure! In my district, principals' kids don't go to their own schools, by choice. It should not be any different for teachers, ESPECIALLY under special circumstances...sped, GATE, whatever! (Many of our teachers' kids go elsewhere too--sometimes it's easier at home when there is not a lot of overlap between work/school/home issues!

Sorry for your loss...but now you know a lot about "how things work" in some places! You'll be blessed with something even better, I'm sure!