No job yet

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher99, Aug 11, 2014.

1. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 11, 2014

Hi teachers:

Well my nightmare is coming true and I may have to sub again for the fall. I realize my age is a factor but I am applying everywhere. I have a few certs including SPED.
    I had one second interview where I was asked for references, credentials, but it's been a week and I am losing faith now. I'm a hard worker and pursuing my ESL license as well post graduate. I'm at a loss. Can t make myself younger. I need a chance. Sigh.

(End vent)
    :(
    Any advice? :confused:

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2014

Don't give up. Subbing while getting your grad degree and ESL is a great idea and will bring you some more experience. Try to take the most from all experiences. My ESL and MED were completed this spring, and I bet I am older than you. I never rest - I am always looking for more courses that will make me a better rounded teacher. I am working at a private school, and wish I could change some things, but know that I will be a better teacher over all for this experience. Tired happens, but I am so glass half full. You are learning, growing, and working at least somewhat in your chosen profession. Hoping your future is bright.

4. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2014

Don't give up, I am older as well. I kept going in my area for seven years.

Today I got a job out of state, which I accepted. Also an interview offer for my home state, as well as a job offer....

Don't give up

5. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 12, 2014

Don't give up! It took me 18 months to get an offer. I am also older and I think that did have something to do with how long it took me to get a job. I know it is rough to keep on trying, but it is worth it.

I scrubbed all dates off my resume, except my most recent degree and the date of my credential. I stopped referencing the age of my children in interviews. I think going age neutral helped me.
    Sheilah

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 12, 2014

Have you sent your resume and a cover letter to the principal at every school you would consider working at? Three years ago, that is how I landed my first job as a newly credentialed 52 year old.

I have been where you are and know how demoralizing it is. Hugs and good luck!

7. newteacher99

newteacher99 Rookie

Aug 12, 2014

Thanks for that :) We are similar in that way. I just got my certifications this Spring, and I immediately started on my ESL certification. I already have Sped, math, LAL and SS (all middle school). I expected a little more action, but I think that my age is definitely a factor. I would love to get the job I interviewed forn (twice), but I lose confidence as the days pass. I also miss getting a job by knowing people and getting a 20 minute phone call, as I did in my former career. I am a newbie without any connections. I have so much to give, but this country continues to use age as a barrier when I can run circles around many of the younger people I know. :thanks:

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2014

I am 31 and experienced. It took me 3 interview seasons, 350+ applications, and nearly 60 interviews to get a job.

(Well, technically I got a job last year, but it was a nightmare. I quit and subbed. Then I got a mid year job, but had to commute 90 miles each way. I finally got a job- with a 5 mile commute, too!)

9. tired.mom

tired.mom Companion

Aug 12, 2014

I don't know your age, but I'm 49, and I worry the same thing. I have been told I don't look or "act" it (from students who have grandmothers my age!), but I wonder.

I wish you the best. I plan to keep trying too and just hope things work out.

10. DKM

DKM Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

I am in the same boat. I am almost 30 and will be getting married in a few months... all to be stuck in subbing for the fourth year! I have done long term subbing and it has gotten me nowhere. I accepted a full time teaching job in March with a private school and was promised I would be teaching next year. Then at the end of May I find out that all 25 teachers, including myself, will be laid off by the end of the school year. reason? Budget cuts. The year before that when I had a full-time teaching job... cut because of budget cuts too.

What has gone against me this summer is that school systems already have someone else in mind and are just using me as a filler candidate. I have scored more interviews than ever and I interview incredibly well. But no matter how articulate you may be, if a principal has somebody else in mind, they are going to choose that person and there is nothing you can do about it. I'm also at the point of giving up as well.

This economy blows for teachers. The job market just isn't there as it was 5 years ago. I got one more year of grad school for my master's in Special Ed. I'm certified in English and this cert and degree can't even help me land a teaching job.

I could also use some advice too.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

If you are not using Linkedin, you should be. I do agree to take dates off of anything that will date you, and no harm in leaving current credential dates - it shows you are growing and evolving. The advantage of Linkedin is that you start to build a network of people who might be able to help you in the future, and who you may be able to help, as well. I do believe that the age barrier is real, but the reality is that many of us are going to be working well past the retirement age of 15-20 years ago. That reality is starting to sink in for many, and age can be a certain advantage. We have experience, we will never be at a school long enough to earn the highest salaries, in all likelihood, and we are loyal. I can't undo my age, but I can persevere in spite of it. :hugs:

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 20, 2014

I really don't think age is an issue. I was way older than the early 30's when I got my first job. This yearned hired a my school we hired two older teachers, although this isn't their first job. Imjustthink it's harder in some places to get jobs than others. Right now if you are breathing and have a desire to teach my district would hire you. We are short like 15 teachers. School starts Monday. Very scary for those schools who need teachers. Our school is only one support teacher down.

13. lamariposa

lamariposa Rookie

Aug 20, 2014

Yeah I'm in the same boat. School year started this week and it seems I will be subbing for now. The district decided to implement an online application process through Teachermatch and I've been applying through there as well as going in person to hand out my resume/credentials. NOTHING. This will be the 4th school year I start subbing. I am past the point of frustration.