No Job Notifications During Winter Break...

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ally Szotak, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ally Szotak

Ally Szotak New Member

Dec 30, 2017

I have both Jobulator and SubstituteAlert. I book a lot of jobs in advance, only have about 6 open days left in January. The last time I got notified for a job though was Friday 12/22- the last day before break. Is it common to hit a dry patch during breaks in regards to job alerts? I know this is probably a silly question, but I hope I’m not the only one!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 30, 2017

Between teachers staying away from their work stuff and your already having a ton of days booked, I'm far from surprised you aren't seeing any alerts. Those days will probably fill in eventually, depending on how many schools you have listed.

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 30, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a bunch of last minute ones posted from teachers "extending their vacations".

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2017

To only have 6 open days in January is awesome. No one is in the office during the winter break, so how could things get posted? I subbed a lot of years. Look for an upswing on Jan. 2.

czacza likes this.
  6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2017

Other than sick days, other absences generally need to be pre approved. No one is in our board office to make that approval and teachers are generally not thinking about it until school re-opens.

7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Dec 30, 2017

The week or two right after winter break is usually pretty slow for subbing unless something major/an emergency comes up. Many teachers' contracts also have guidelines about sick days around breaks as well, which can limit the number of sub jobs available.

It'll pick back up.

Also, the fact that your month is pretty full already could be a big part of it. Any jobs getting posted could be on days you're already booked.

8. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Dec 30, 2017

I use Aesop and picked up jobs toward the end of December but have had no openings recently. I think it is just normal.

Ally Szotak likes this.
  9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2017

I know that I'll be out at a workshop on our second day back; I booked that job before the break because I wanted to be sure it would be picked up. We have very few subs in the building the first week back after the break.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 30, 2017

The colds and flu going around will probably make up the difference.

11. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 30, 2017

I doubt that most people are thinking about school and subs while on break. No one is going to need a sick day when they are already off of work, and most planned absences will either be put into the system before or after the break.

I'm probably the rare exception who decided today to put in for sub for next week because I decided that I wanted to take a personal day on my birthday. I knew that, if I didn't do it today - when the school to-do list is far from at the front of my mind, I might convince myself to just go to work anyway. I figured that, if I already had a sub lined up, I probably wouldn't talk myself out of enjoying the day.

12. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Dec 31, 2017

At my school, you are given 6 sick days and 2 personal days. I can never find myself able to use any of them. I don’t use my sick days because I never get sick and I don’t use my personal days because I feel guilty using them. They accumulate if you don’t use them and this is my 4th year working at the school, so I have quite a bit saved up.

13. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 31, 2017

Our sick days accumulate if unused, but personal days are use them or lose them. expiring at the end of the school year.

czacza likes this.
  14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 31, 2017

Same here! I used to feel guilty using my personal days, but I've learned they're mine to use as I please so now I'm always sure to use them when the weather gets warmer.

15. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Jan 1, 2018

My Jobulator went off practically every morning over break. I have around four districts that post floater jobs several months in the future. I think the jobs this morning were for April 30th. Jobulator went off as I was typing this for a job on Thursday.