No job...money running out...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Aug 3, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

I am so upset/frustrated/mad...etc...

I lost my job...or given the 'option to resign' at the end of March. I had a feeling that I was going to lose it when they posted my freakin' position in January...and I've been trying to get a job ever since then. NO LUCK AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

I did manage to get a part time teaching job 35 miles away...but it's only 12 hours a week...and 20 an hour but it could drop to 12 an hour depending on the number of students. It's something...but really only pays for gas there and my car payment. I have other bills...lots of them...
    Plus...if we have a snow day (no school = no money)...no pay over holidays at all...

I can't get a job at Barnes and Noble...no retail or restaurant experience...

I can't even get a job as a freakin' lab tech for 10 an hour! A lab tech that only requires a freakin' GED!!!

I'm still on the sub list for one county...but it's 65 a day before taxes...and they rarely call. No other counties have posted any sub jobs.

I'm a science major...and want to get back in the science field...but am having no luck at all. Everyone wants all this experience...and as much as I try to play up my teaching experience with labs...it's not enough.

Everyone wants e-mailed resumes...but with everyone looking for jobs...many just get lost in the spam folders...

I called this one lab company and asked if it would be ok to drop off my resume...nope...email only...wtf?!

I've tried using my networking...but they aren't much help. I've randomly messaged people on facebook doing a search for lab related jobs...and got a few responses...but none to get a job.

Of course my health insurance was cut off at the end of June...which is BS. My stupid former school won't give me all my money back I had in the lunch account...UGH!

Sorry for rant...I'm just so fed up with it all. I freakin' hate my life right now! And no...parents can't help.

:unsure: :help:

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2009

You've applied for unemployment right? I would have. In the meantime, the 12 hr/wk job & subbing are still better than nothing. But you're right about if it's too far to drive & not enough pay, it's almost not worth it. It's like you're just paid enough for the gas to go there, which is frustrating.

It's hard to believe you can't get any kind of retail job at a clothing store or waitress job when they constantly hire high school kids w/ ZERO work experience.

I know how you feel (being told in Feb 2007 that I had the option to resign from my special ed teaching job). I've been back to subbing ever since. I'm also back in college.

Good luck!

4. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

If she resigned it is unlikely that she will qualify for benefits.

I know exactly how you feel, over the summer I was applying for menial jobs - Office Depot, Lowes, Home Depot etc....I have 10 years experience with 5 years being a Dept Supervisor of 60 employees. Didnt get a single call.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

You didn't mention your science field. Have you considered going to grad school for a masters? Unless you are biology, you should be able to get full funding plus stipend for living expenses. You would get all the lab experience you need for lab jobs, plus teaching experience if your funding requires teaching (not at all uncommon).

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2009

When they ask the reason you're no longer there, I'd blame the economy. Hey, it's worth a shot to apply. All they can say is no. I know people who work (not FT) & still getting unemployment benefit payments.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

I know the feeling. I resigned/terminated in November. I used my last $100 of my emergency fund last week for food. I do get unemployment, but it sure does not cover the bills. I may have to go for a food box before this is all over.

8. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

i am currently doing a masters program online for science education...which i really don't want to do...but i've already spent so much money on it...and have about a year left...

i resigned b/c he said he would give me a reference...which turns out to be total BS...plus i was already on the sub list and they state that if you are on that, you don't qualify for unemployment...-sigh-

9. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

During the app process they will call your last employer to verify that you did not resign or lose your job due to something you did. If someone legitimately lost their job due to the economy - layoff, rif, etc - you would be ok. To lie and get caught could get the OP in major trouble.

10. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

:hugs: scienceteach :hugs: I am so sorry. Are you almost done with your masters? Are there any jr colleges around where you might teach a few classes? I hope your luck changes soon

11. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

a year or so to go...depends on how fast i can finish everything or motivate myself...

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2009

I still think it's worth a shot applying because as we know, principals can tell us anything regarding the reason why we're being made to resign, especially if anyone's principal was like my last one who told me, "You're not a good fit for our school", which is the most broad, cop-op reason I've ever heard. That statement can mean ANYTHING. Anyways, people of course do what they want! :)

13. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

14. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

thanks...i'm not certified...so I can't get in public school teaching

I appreciate the links