No Interviews Yet but Some Progress

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by deeceekids, May 26, 2010.

1. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 26, 2010

The other day, I contacted HR of one of the districts I was interested in to see whether I had all the necessary items in place for my application. Well today, after reading one of the threads on the Gallup, I called the district back to see if I could retake it, since I wasn't sure how I had answered the questions. The lady remembered me as my name is a little unusual. She went back through my files and said that my results looked great. She also told me that she had already forwarded my application to some principals. I know it's not an interview yet, but hopefully something will come of it. I have already emailed every P and AP in that district to let them know of my interest. I am wondering if it would be too much to pop into the schools and ask for a tour of the schools (and hope to speak to a P). Any opinions?

3. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

May 26, 2010

That sounds very promising! I'm not sure about asking for a tour, yet. If I get called back for a second interview from the place I was at on Monday I will probably ask then for a tour (then again, it's in another state so I can't really just pop in)

I'd wait to hear from some more experience job-seekers :)

4. 2cutekiddos

2cutekiddos Companion

May 26, 2010

Wow! That is great that you could get that information from the HR dept. They tend to be the gateway to principals! It is a good sign that she sent your info. to P's. I wouldn't contact any schools for a tour unless you know which schools your info. went to. Good
    luck!

5. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 26, 2010

Thanks everyone! I had thought about that too. I guess I will wait a week or so and call the schools with openings to see if they have interviewed yet.

6. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 27, 2010

DeeCee districts in the DFW area have begun interviewing. You need to go ahead and make some phone calls to P's. Too bad you did not ask which schools she had forwarded your info. You could have called those schools and made a personal contact. Many districts do tell you to contact the P's directly. Most P's will answer emails readily and it seems like a good way to communicate. But there are others that don't email back and that is frustrating! I would wait on asking for a tour at this time of year, principal's have several items on their agenda and giving a tour would not be high on the list. But, I would make contact with a few P's that you know have openings and ask about where they are in the interview process and let them know of your interest. :)

7. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 27, 2010

Thanks SCTeach. Just spent the whole a.m. calling schools too. I hope it helps. I am almost feeling like a new change in career.

8. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 27, 2010

Change? Do you mean that all this calling and working for a job makes you want to question the teaching field? Times are tough for everyone. You deserve a break. It is going to happen. With your credentials, we need you in the educational arena. Really! :hugs:

9. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 27, 2010

You are right SCTeach. I don't mean to sound so negative. I love education and could never really see myself out of the field. However, I am not sure if I can go through another year of just subbing. This year has been pretty difficult financially for my own kids, even with my husband's income. I am trying not to give up hope yet as I keep telling myself that I would much rather be doing something that I love and am passionate about. Thank you for the encouragement. :love:

10. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

May 28, 2010

Subbing is tough. Just remember to go for every position. You have some great credentials that make you marketable in the education world. You just need to SELL yourself. All you need is ONE interview to make it happen. I have my fingers and toes crossed. BTW- I heard through the grapevine that several teachers in district are getting jobs out of district, retiring, or leaving the area. We have one possible and two likely teachers leaving just on my campus. My principal was surprised by this just yesterday. So, things happen everyday. Keep the faith because positions will be opening up. You just need to be there to SNATCH up the next one. Wait one more week when school is out and start visiting schools IN PERSON! (Resume and smile in hand - just in case!)

11. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

May 28, 2010

My P is really busy. If I need to see him, it usually takes me a day to track him down. He gets kind of peeved by people just dropping in. What I'm trying to say is that asking to tour a school may not be a good idea. It's also crazy busy with end of the year activities. The week after school gets out is nice time to drop by and introduce yourself.