No interviews anyone?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by wldywall, Aug 5, 2006.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2006

I have been looking since I finished my student teaching in April. I have yet to even get an interview. I have two BS degrees, three teaching certification areas and 18 credits toward my masters. I have the best recommendations, and yet no calls.

Anyone else have this happen? It is soooooooooooo frustrating!

3. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Aug 5, 2006

I'm right there with you. I taught 9 years, been home for 10 and am now trying to get back into the classroom. I also have fantastic references and am up to date on my credentials. THere are just so many of us searching that it is difficult to get hired. Good Luck

4. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 5, 2006

Welcome to A to Z Teacher Stuff! :cool:

I just wanted to say...

When I started looking for a TA job in May, I sent out résumés to EVERY district in my county PLUS most of the Catholic schools in addition to a charter school or two and some day care centers.

When I went to my first interview it went rather quick (about 9 minutes) and I knew the lady knew who she was going to hire from prior interviews. So, I got discouraged. But, I NEVER let that stop me. I continued to pound the pavement and after other interviews I got more and more excited. Eventually, my excitement and enthusiasm paid off. The principal asked me how many résumés I had sent out, how many interviews I had been on, and how many were ahead of me. When I told him how much this meant to me and that I wouldn't rest until I found someone to give me a break ... that was that. The job was mine.

So please don't let yourself get discouraged because the right teaching job *is* out there. Just do what I did. Pound the pavement, get yourself get more and more excited and enthusiastic, and eventually someone will be really impressed with your level of excitement and enthusiasm that they'll go ahead and extend an offer to you.

Hope this helps some! :)

Remember, it can take 100 Nos before a Yes for an interview and it can take a long stretchof no calls before that first call. I know it's frustrating, really ... but people shouldn't expect something overnight. Plus, our job economy has been pretty bad since Bush took office. So, it's to be expected!

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2006

My BEST advise (at least this is how it works around here in Chicago) is try to personally meet the principal/go to the school to deliver your resume. Principals receive SO MANY resumes through the mail that they can't possibly look through them all. When you hand deliver it or meet the principal face to face (like at a job fair) you are making a connection and it's all about connections!

6. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

i hate to depress you but i have been looking for a job now for 3 YEARS!! :( i graduated cum laude from my univ. (which is known for an excellent teacher educ. prog.) and have taught in urban schools/settings since then. every year i start looking around feb., and usually only get maybe 1 interview...and i'm VERY persistent! whoever said it all has to do w/connec. is pretty much right. the problem is that here the market is so saturated w/highly qualified teachers that connec. only help you in certain situations. there are just too many people trying to work every outlet they can! anyhoo, i believe there is a (good) job out there for all of us. i think it just takes some people longer-some a lot longer-to find it. keep your chin up and remember, school hasn't started yet! at least here it hasn't!! :) good luck! -meri :)

7. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 6, 2006

You might want to consider having your cover letters and resume's reviewed by as many people as possible or use your career service people from your university if they have one. Do something different such as a CD portfolio (worked for some people here). It might just be your credentials aren't shining through effectively on paper. Good Luck.

8. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 6, 2006

I have to agree with JustWondering. I sent out resumes to the middle schools in my area. I know I got at least two interviews based on those letters. The job I just got was a direct result of me emailing a principal not knowing if there was a position or not.

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2006

I had 2 interviews in May, one I didn't get and one never called me... I've had one call since then (too bad I'm not fluent in Spanish!) but that's been it. August is crunch time, so I'm re-sending info to many schools in the area this week!!!

10. Teaches in TX

Teaches in TX New Member

Aug 7, 2006

Me too. I've been actively looking since Mar. I was close to finishing up my student teaching and started looking. I've been trying so hard to find something. It's the stangest thing, I thought teachers were in such need and I really didn't think it would be this hard. I've been on 7 interviews this summer, and I have 1 tommorrow, but I am not too hopeful (at least I try not to be, it's depressing to get rejected). What has gotten me talking to principals is e-mailing them my resume attached to a very thought out e-mail, using my name as the subject (I have gotten lots of response this way). I will go to the district website and e-mail all of the pricipals individually in that district. I have gotten a couple of replies saying they didn't have any openings, but such and such school did. Also, what I have found to be better than that (in some school districts) is to just call each school and ask if they have any available teaching positions. I get a lot of nos, but the first day I did that I set up an interview for that same day. It was with a school I had e-mailed earlier this summer and they said they had tried calling me to have me come in. Just keep track of who you have e-mailed and called (esp. dates and maybe times, it's been a good reference for the future if need be) I made the mistake of accidently calling a school I had already called and the secretary was not happy the 2nd time. Good Luck in your search.

11. ChristianJock

ChristianJock Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Over 150 applications / resume's .....

since January 2005 and only have gotten 1 phone interview. It was because my husbands friend knew the superintendant and he did the phone interview as a favor.

It's extremely frustrating.

12. teach123

teach123 Cohort

Aug 17, 2006

I hadn't gotten any interviews for a teaching position, so I decided I am going to apply for TA positions. I have been on 4 interviews now and have one tomorrow and another one next Wed. It is not what I want, but it sure is good interview practice. I have met a lot of principals this way. Hopefully it will lend itself to a classroom teaching job soon. I haven't heard from any of the people I interviewed with yet.

13. Dakota06

Dakota06 Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

Over 150 resumes no calls, no interviews since March. Did get a call for a IA position from the Principal and he was looking at my resume as we spoke. I've called the schools, called the District offices and dropped in on the schools. No luck and school started last week for us.

Very discouraging and heartbreaking. But I believe persistance will pay off eventually.

14. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Aug 17, 2006

Try applying for TA jobs and getting on subbing lists. Also try Kelly Educational Staffing to sub in private schools. Go on the Kelly Services website or contact your local Kelly Services office to find the kelly Educational Staffing Office in your area.sometimes it does take a while to get a teaching job. If you are certified in math or science that will certainly help. Terry G.

15. Teaches in TX

Teaches in TX New Member

Aug 17, 2006

I'm still in the same boat. I have cried and come to terms that I may not be teaching. I need something, so I have been looking into corporate jobs. I have heard from a few people that once school has started and the enrollment #s have come in, they may do some more hiring. Just keep calling and sending and I'm sure it'll happen.

16. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Aug 17, 2006

17. cynthia wolven

cynthia wolven Rookie

Aug 17, 2006

I haven't been in your shoes yet but I could suggest private schools. Would you possibly have a current cover letter. I am still working the substitue world and am trying to compose one now.

18. Dakota06

Dakota06 Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Elizabeth_ 1977
    Thanks so much for the website. I was unable to find the school websites so I could research them a little more but with the website you gave me had most of them listed. I REALLY appreciate your help.
    I had called a few and dropped in on a few. Most did not have any openings at the time but one Principal asked if I would sub for them and of course I said yes. Whatever gets my name and face known works for me.
    I have sent my application to them online and will mail the hard copy off today along with my resume.
    Again thank you