No Interview yet...HELP!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by teachme2, Jun 4, 2007.

1. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

I have applied to 4 different school districts in my area, filled out online apps, criminal background check and Gallup Assessment. Then I emailed my resume, letter of interest, Certification letter stating that I am Highly Qualified to several Principals and even called one school regarding a position, BUT I STILL HAVE NOT HEARD BACK FROM ANYONE!

I am making a career change and do not have any prior teaching experience.

Can someone give me some pointers or advice on how to get an interview? Should I hand deliver my portfolio next? If so, when? School is now out and I may have waited to late...

I REALLY need to find a job before this next year starts....

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 4, 2007

I don't know what the job market looks like where you are, but 4 districts really isn't that many. I graduated in 2005 and have applied to 15 districts every spring/summer and although I've gotten interviews, I haven't been hired by a public school yet.

If it's possible, I would start hand delivering your paperwork to principals. I work full time all summer, though and by the time I'm out of work, the offices are closed so I don't have the opportunity. It could definitely be beneficial to you, though.

4. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 4, 2007

Have you guys done your credential program's already, or are you looking to intern teach? I am looking to intern teach and am waiting for CSET results in 2 weeks to start applying. In my area there are always openings once the year starts, so hopefully I will get one of those. Are they announcing job openings in these districts? Maybe you could visit the district offices and look at the employment bulletin board to find actual openings. Good luck to all!

5. teachme2

teachme2 Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

Yes, there are tons of jobs already posted online and I am even emailing the principals indiviually, but I am sure that I am competing with hundreds of other applicants that are already certified or have prior experience. I am in Texas in the Rockwall area so jobs are plentiful. They are desperately in need o Special Ed teachers so now I am going to try to pass the state exam for that as well...UGH

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 4, 2007

I was eligible for my teaching license as soon I as I graduated. I've been licensed since July 2005.

7. ladybuglady

ladybuglady Rookie

Jun 4, 2007

Hi Teachme2
    I am also in the North Texas area and I have applied at over 25 districts and I have received only interview at the school where I did student teaching and subbed for 3 years. I still did not get the job and I graduated with top honors and high scores on my tests. She told me that I interviewed very well but the person who got the job had more experience. There were over 150 applicants for that one position. A lot of districts don't start posting until they know how many positions are going to be available and so forth. Just keep applying and I truly believe that we will get hired where we are meant to. I hope this helps.

8. kck2106

kck2106 New Member

Jun 4, 2007

I'm exactly in the same situation. I recently graduated with a masters and am certified to teach in two subject areas. Four counties I applied for never called or contacted me. Why is it so difficult to find a descent teaching position?

9. Thespis

Thespis Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

You don't say what your certification is, but if you're in a specialized area like technology or fine arts, the district coordinator usually helps to find qualified applicants. You might try contacting them.
    When I left Garland ISD a year ago, there were people teaching on emergency certs and going through Region 10 to get certified. I know one in particular that will never be able to pass the cert test, so that's at least one job available. There have to be more...
    If you haven't already, try expanding your search. Garland, Mesquite , Plano and Dallas are all very large districts that will need many teachers (Mesquite even pays for your Masters!) Also, don't forget the smaller districts around you. Royce City, Wylie, and Forney come to mind immediately...
    Good luck!

10. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

I live in the dallas/ft worth area too. I can share my job hunting experience with you. I enrolled into iteachtexas last summer and started looking for a job. I didn't get a teaching job but I did get an aide job. I worked as an aide in the Fall and started looking again in the spring for a teaching position. I know that people do resign over xmas break. I found one! In Jan. I got hired for my first teaching position. I was highly qualified in a lot of areas though- EC-4 & 4-8 Generalist, Ec-12 Special Ed, 6-12 Business Ed. I wanted to expand the likelihood of finding something. It worked! I taught sp. ed last semester. I already have two job offers for next year- one sp. ed and one gen. ed and I have been on 8 interviews!! I did the same thing you are doing, emailed and called principals. Apply to as many districts as you can. Also, post your Cover letter here that you are sending to principals. We can look it over and help you revise if it's needed. If you have to take an aide position, it's not the end of the world, it gets you 1 foot in the door!

11. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

I also live in Texas...just south of Corpus. But, we are relocating so I am looking in the San Antonio area.

I was at a job fair this past weekend and one of the girls I was talking to said that she got a call from the HR person for the district and he told her that if she switched from iteachtexas to another ACP program, she would be given an invitation to the private job fair.

Everyone says there is a teacher shortage, but really only in special ed., bilingual, math and science. I am EC-4 and I think thats what practically everyone is also certified in. ugh!

12. acent95

acent95 Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

I teach in TX (Killeen ISD), and here they hire around 300 new teachers every year because of the military (lots of moving). I went through ACP last year, put my application in, and waited. They interviewed for lots of positions late in June and early July, if I remember right. That's when they really knew who was leaving for sure and what positions were open (we have until mid-july to get out of our contracts without penalty). So, in this area at least, lots of teachers get hired just a few weeks before the start of the new school year. So there is still hope...

13. Teach In Texas

Teach In Texas Rookie

Jun 5, 2007

If your districts are starting school August 27th, teachers have until July 12th to get out of contracts. I think thats the date...45 days before school starts.

14. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2007

That's what I am hoping, that they will start hiring end of June, to July so that I can enroll in the credential program as an intern which starts late August. The deadline to enroll is July 23rd.! But, Im trying not to stress about it.

15. shmoreen

shmoreen New Member

Jun 7, 2007

Where is the shortage?

I have also made a career change into the teaching field. I recently completed my Altern Certification Program (EC-4 Gen/ESL) and need to attain an internship or fufill my student teaching but I will be honest the 12-weeks unpaid scares the life out of me. Does anyone know if you can at least get subwages? I have applied to the 5 closest districts but can only drive so far as I have elementary aged children. I did receive two interviews for a local elem school but was not selected due to not having experience but I am thankful that they thought highly enough of me for the interview. How does one get experience if you can't get the job..... I am beginning to doubt myself.... any words of wisdom?

16. acent95

acent95 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I did not have to do any student teaching. Enrolled in an ACP program and started my first year without any experience.
    If you don't get hired, the only thing I can suggest is subbing to get a foot in the door...
    My principal was awesome and was really just looking for someone who loved kid. Experience was not the decisive factor him. He always said he could teach us how to teach, but he couldn't teach us how to love the kids, so when he filled positions he was looking for those people passionate about the job... I tought that was awesome.

17. Tassygirl

Tassygirl New Member

Dec 4, 2007

what do you think about iteachtexas?

Hello newtothis2006,
    I'm a new memeber. I see that you got your certification thru iteachtexas. What do you think of it? Are the modules helpful to pass the tests? Do they have a close connection with the districts? I am comparing it with the other entities, such as Region 10 and Actu Houston. and I'm confused.

18. TammyTeacher

TammyTeacher Rookie

Dec 15, 2007

In addition, to suggestions, comments posted here, I would seek assistance with resume and cover letter just to be sure they're as impressive as they can be.

19. teach4ever

teach4ever Rookie

Dec 19, 2007

I just graduated with a Bachelors in Elementary Education and a week later was hired for a permanent 1st grade position. I think the key sometimes is who you know and not who you are. If you know anyone like a principal or outstanding teacher in the districts you are applying in, they can be very influential with getting your name out by making personal phone call recommendations to the principal of the school you are applying at. This is just what I have seen in my district. Hope it helps.

20. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2007

Sometimes you can get lucky and snag an opening mid year.
    I was lucky, too in that my Head Start position put me as a current district employee and a unit member in the union, so I was given priority in their hiring process.
    ps, as far as i teach texas, Im thinking it is similar to cal state teach program here. I was going to go for it, I heard it was reputable, but instead decided on a local college because I heard the units were not transferrable, and would not count towards a masters degree. Maybe you should check that out first. Merry Christmas to everyone!