No hot glue...what do I do????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teacher Chele, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

I am going to be teaching in a brand new school this fall and our principal told us that we cannot use hot glue, sticky tack or duct tape. I need suggestions of products that will hold things on the concrete brick walls without damaging them at all. Thanks!!!

3. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Ues mavalus tape! (pronounced mahhhhvalous!) :)
    It is advertised as sticking to anything and holding. I buy it every year now and it does a very good job of keeping things in its place. I buy mine at our local parent teacher store; I just googled and they actually have a website.
    Mavalus Tape
    The tape comes in several different colors. I would recommend purchasing several rolls as I use mine up fairly quickly and wish I had bought more every time! Hope this helps.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 10, 2009

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jul 10, 2009

I have tasha! I love, love, love this stuff. I use the clips on my calendar and just the stick stuff on my word wall and other areas. It is amazing. Not like the puddy stuff.

Teacher supply stores should have the stikki sticks. The stikki clips can be found at a lot of places.

6. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

ooo... i have used stikki clips, but I didn't know they sold just the wax by itself! fabulous, i'll have to find that!

7. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

Mavalus tape is the best. It even sticks in high humidity.

8. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

What's wrong with sticky tack? I wouldn't be able to function without it!

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

It does leave a residue on the walls, and sometimes pulls paint (at least in my building).

There is another product that keeps things up that doesn't pull paint. I have them at work, but not home. I will look around online to see if I can find it if you are interested (they are like double sided foam sticky squares). My principal bought some for the entire building.

10. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I'm going on a hunt for stikki wax and mavalus tape! I have used hot glue, sticky tack, and Scotch brand packing tape! It ALL falls off the walls!! We have high humidity where I live and our AC gets cut off as soon as the 1st cold front comes in in October even though it might be 70+ degrees in December!! So, lots of things lose their "stick"! I can't wait to try it!

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I use that too. It's made by 3M and I buy mine at Target. It's not super cheap but your things will stay up until you take them down. When you remove posters and such, the foam piece will stay on the poster, not the wall. No residue, no pulled paint. Very gentle but very effective. It comes off the poster by rolling it off starting at one corner. No harm to your poster either. I buy a few packages every summer.

12. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I bet they are called mounting squares. I bought some 3M brand mounting tape. It says it holds up to 2 lbs.

13. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 11, 2009

I've used those wax clips before. I'd had them leave a residue on things at times. I also have trouble getting the wax that stays on the walls out of the texture of the cinderblocks.

I LOVE MAVALUS TAPE!!

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

I have used and like those little gray sticky things, too. I like sticky tack better, because I can use it year after year. With those mounting tabs, too, I felt I had to use a ton of them. It's a money thing..

15. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I also always have residue when using the wax. I have also ripped paint off of drywall and cinder block when taking it off at the end of the year. I don't think this will be a good alternative if your principal is worried about keeping the walls like new.

16. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 11, 2009

I have used the command strips by 3m to hold posters to the wall. They are excellent. The strips come about an inch wide. I generally cut it into 3 from there. They hold all year long and come off clean. You can find them at target, walmart, home depot. Good luck!

17. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

New to 3rd, I am glad I am not the only TN teacher that has the problem with the temperature making everything fall down! It makes me nuts especially since we have to have certain things on the walls as per the big wigs, so when I run out of my mavalus tape I am like raaar.....

18. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

19. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 11, 2009

Kinder, where do you buy the mavalus tape?

20. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 11, 2009

You can probably find it at any teacher supply store usually near the counter as a last minute... OH I NEED THAT buy... lol I've found mine there and teacher supply catalogs, too.

21. KinderESLtchr

KinderESLtchr Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

I buy it at the Parent-Teacher Store in Nashville. There is one in Green Hills and also one in Antioch, and I think one in Rivergate. I think they have a website where you can see the locations.
    I will be going back in a few weeks to buy some! :)

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 11, 2009

Just a tip, you can put the mavalus tape on a big tape dispenser like you would scotch tape and it makes it easier to deal with. :)

23. Newto3rd

Newto3rd Companion

Jul 11, 2009

Thanks! We have one teacher store here and most of the stuff is SO over priced!! I can check next time I'm in Nashville!

24. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 12, 2009

Oh my, I couldn't make it without my hot glue gun. I'm responsible for scraping off the residue when I take something down.

25. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

They do stick great, but my papers always fall out of them! What's the trick????

26. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2009

I love the mavalus tape and think it is just about one of the best things I've ever bought for the classroom. I found that the tape I ordered online is just a bit stickier than the tape I bought at the teacher store, probably because the teacher store tape was older, but tape from both places hold up anything, in any weather condition!

27. little317

little317 Groupie

Jul 12, 2009

28. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2009

I totally agree! I am pretty careful with it (well, except for the time I left it on last summer & didn't remember until 3:30 on a Friday and our school was closed- it was fun trying to find someone to open the building).

29. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2009

30. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

Thanks for all of the wonderful ideas, y'all!!! I'm going to miss being able to use my hot glue gun!!!!

31. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 12, 2009

I use them at the top and bottom of my posters if they are longer than a few inches.

32. Lynn M.

Lynn M. Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

I purchased some small 3M clips from Staples. I had never seen them before. I use them to hang some posters and student work. They are the removable kind with the tab that you pull to remove. Not too expensive, $4 for 6.

33. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Jul 14, 2009

No matter what I use, it either leaves a residue or take a hunk of paint off the cinderblock wall. I have a large wall above my wet area that makes a great display for the children's work, but it looks nasty after all these years of gunk. My teaching partner got wise and bought two pieces of lattice and had them bolted to the wall in her classroom and she displays all of her classes' work with clothespins. It really is so easy and always looks nice. I might give in and try that this year.