no hope in california?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by modgirl, Jun 13, 2009.

1. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jun 13, 2009

i have a preliminary multiple subjects credential and have been substitute teaching this past year. is there absolutely no hope this coming year (and perhaps next) of landing an elementary teaching job?

what are all the new grads of the teaching programs gonna do?

i feel discouraged and unsure of what path to take.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 13, 2009

I think it depends where in California. I was asked on several interviews this spring, and there were elementary postings in all the local districts. I'm in Marin County, just north of San Francisco. We have a lot of private and charter schools there were hiring. (I'm elementary ed, by the way)

4. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jun 13, 2009

In my area of So Cal there are no jobs for multiple subjects. It is very discouraging. There are some openings for science, math, and special ed but there are a lot of applicants. I just got a single subject in science but when I had a screening interview at a very large district I was given the attitude of "but you have only taught elementary school, how can you teach secondary?" I don't know what to do. I have been subbing for three years.

5. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 13, 2009

One of my coworkers had five interviews and two offers - for a Mandarin Immersion teaching position. I guess it's good to be bilingual!

6. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

I was just laid off two weeks ago in No CA. All of the districts in our area are increasing class size and laying off teachers. I feel for those who just got their credentials. The districts have to go through the re-hire list before they can offer the jobs to anyone from the outside. I am just going to keep my fingers crossed that our enrollment goes up. The budget in CA is a hot mess.
    Best of luck!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2009

I've taught for four years and I have been pink slipped once again! I know I have more of a chance getting hired than a lot of the other temps or newly graduates because I have more experience. Poor new graduates! It was hard when I first graduated and it's only gotten tougher.

8. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 13, 2009

It is really bad here in Southern California. I have my MS Credential and teacherfan is right, there are NO jobs in elementary. It is so depressing. Once in a blue moon I'll see an opening and apply, but I know they are getting bombarded with thousands of applications. I'm enrolled once again in a special ed program. I honestly don't know what else to do. I feel that I may just spend yet another year subbing. However, I feel that if I don't add on to my current credential then I'm not "doing" enough to make myself more marketable. :( It's tough. I hear people glibly say, "Oh, it'll get better" but I've just seen it get worse for elementary ed over the past 3 years. I'm still waiting for it to "get better". And now with California on the verge of bankruptcy, it's hard for me to feel hopeful about the future.

9. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Jun 13, 2009

are you getting your mild to moderate sped credential or your mod-severe credential. . .

My friend in mod-severe has been getting quite a few interviews. . .

me on the otherhand just have one interview and while I have my mild to moderate credential the position is for moderate to severe. I would have to be an intern!

Mod-severe is the way to go right now

10. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 13, 2009

I signed up for mild/mod.

11. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jun 13, 2009

Wow! For those of you who can teach those areas I salute you! The reason there is such a huge need is that it is one of the hardest jobs around. I am not religious at all, but that is God's work!

12. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 13, 2009

I've subbed a lot of SPED classes over this past year. I also subbed a lot for an RSP teacher when I subbed with Los Angeles a few years back. Yes, it's hard but I enjoyed it. I know there's a lot to the job, but my hat also goes off the gen ed teachers as well. Getting a group of kids and expecting to get them all up to speed by the end of the year is no easy task...especially now that class sizes are increasing. I actually think hats should go off to ALL teachers. :love: It IS God's work and taking the time to help a child is HUGE. Anyhow, that said I'm willing to pursue working with the special needs children. I'm a hard worker. I'll do what it takes to find a job, and since I've helped these kids out before I feel it's time to get more serious about it. I realize, that getting a SPED credential here in dear ol' Cali doesn't guarantee me a job by any means, but if I figure it can't hurt either. Anyhow, Thanks Mrs. Bran...and love the avatar btw!:thumb:

13. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2009

It's so sad to read all about the teachers who need jobs and also those are getting laid off due to budget cuts, etc.:(
    Keep the faith and do what you can do to keep yourselves happy and stay stress free. How about volunteering on your day off from work, at one of your dream schools? Try this when the new school year starts, IF you can afford to miss a day out of your regular job.
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

14. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 14, 2009

Rebel1: Volunteering is always a positive thing, and looks good on a resume as well. :thumb: I'm actually going to be doing some (quite a bit, actually) observations of SDC classes when I start school in August. As far as keeping myself happy? Working out has been a lifesaver for me. Also attending a local church, having supportive friends. I've also been consulting friends to update my resume, as well as my cover letter. Keeping busy and doing things to stay competitive is positive. still, that said....I'd say California is one tough place for teachers to be right now....some days I feel great, and others pretty low. Just comes with looking for work. I just hope this year some things turn up for me. Last year was so hard. :(

15. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 15, 2009

I just submitted this in another post on JobSeekers called "how far would you drive?"

Anyhow, I just got called for an elementary interview.....but it's in Apple Valley!! Anybody know anything about that area? It's FAR frm where I am now!:eek:

16. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

I feel like I have been in College all my life! I need a break, that's why I'm not signing up for 2 more years of classes for a sp. ed credential. I'm hoping the summer will bring more openings for us in So. California. I know what you mean, there is ZIP out there!!

17. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 16, 2009

I'm getting my Special Ed Credential at National. One class a month. It's very intense, but you get more done in less time. I'm hopeful to have my Mild/Mod by this time next year. I figure it can't hurt to plug away at it. I wouldn't give up on yours, either. There's districts out there that sometimes are willing to hire you while you are still completing your SPED credential. Oh, and yeah I am not going on that interview. It truly is too far away.

18. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jun 16, 2009

I agree! Being on the road nearly 4 hours is rediculous!

19. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 16, 2009

I was talking to a friend of mine who knows a lot of the freeways in California. She said that Cajon Pass can be a real dog nightmare in the winter time. Sometimes it gets closed down. Not fun. I've lived in Cali for as long as I've been on the planet..the traffic out here just continues to get worse. The last thing I want is to have to face a 2 hour commute home. ESPECIALLY being a teacher when you've got so much work to do in the classroom...I think I'd be more tempted to leave "just to beat traffic" which would NOT be a good thing. Gotta think of my job and doing the best I can. There are some areas I'm willing to move to....Apple Valley is not one of them. Just my own humble opinion. No offense to anybody who enjoys living there.

20. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Jun 16, 2009

Nasimi77 I teach across the freeway in Victorville (for the next 3 days, that is). I hear that AV is actually a decent district. The Cajon Pass can be difficult, but if you're driving up in the morning and down in the afternoon, it's not that bad. The traffic is going the other way. Also, depending on where you're leaving school to go to, but leaving early is bad. Leaving slightly later is better. I refuse to leave before 4:30 to go home. That can add an extra hour to my 1.5 hour drive. And no, I wouldn't move up to the high dester either. It's toooooo windy up here for me.

Not a problem after friday, though... *sigh*

21. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jun 16, 2009

Thanks for the info Exclaimation Po....the district actually wasn't AV..but a private Charter School.