No Homework School Board Policy?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by leighbball, Aug 19, 2011.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 19, 2011

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2011

Our school HW policy is pretty much Monday thru Thursday. We're also mindful of major religious holidays.

4. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 19, 2011

I agree with it. I don't want to work on the weekends either for me it's family time.
    Edit: autocorrect messed me up lol

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 19, 2011

I'm all for it. I'll tell you my kids were bombarded with HW when in elementary school. Nothing like going to Grandma's who you see a few times a year and have to sit and do lots of homework because you couldn't do it in the car due to motion sickness.

Chalk it up to a few abusers that used "weekend" time and "holiday" time and "spring break" time as an excuse to pile on work because it would keep the kids from playing video games and watching TV because they know that is all the kids do.

Because these abusers (or even a few schools that took that approach) were out there and the system wouldn't rein itself in, apparently someone else had to. If the teachers didn't have common sense and other teachers and administrators wouldn't fix it, someone had to.

I'm happy about it.

I wish our district would do it at the elementary level and then in MS and HS just put a stop to the winter break and spring break pile on.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  6. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 19, 2011

I agree with it. Not sure it really needs to be a school board policy, but it doesn't bother me. Especially since long term projects and tests can still be due/given on Mondays, which is all I've personally ever given as weekend work.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2011

I agree...except for the reading part.
    I don't necessary think it should be assigned, but I don't want to give the impression that they're not supposed to read.

I also had a few parents who prefer the homework on weekends due to week night obligations such as church and sports.

8. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2011

When I was in 4-6th grade, it was not uncommon for me to have 4+ hours of homework some nights. My parents were very upset. I am, and always have been, a fast worker!

Some of it was from the GT program and a lot was probably because we were tracked into groups for reading and math by ability level.

My 4th grade teacher tracked homework on a chart and groups who had all their homework would get rewards each week and a special reward at the end of the year, so there was a lot of peer pressure to do it. I remember once, we were going to dinner for my dad's birthday, so I had to come straight home and start homework with no break, and by 8pm I still wasn't finished. My parents were super angry and wrote a letter, but I still got in trouble for not having my homework done.

This was a regular public school! (York County Virginia)

I don't usually find it necessary to give much homework in Earth Science since it is conceptual rather than things that need a lot of practice, so I try to keep it to lots of notice for big projects and 15 minutes or less each night (usually on task kids can finish or do most in class).

9. Gracie44

Gracie44 Rookie

Aug 19, 2011

Perhaps I am old school or the beach life in Rio has slowed me down, but I believe in about 10 minutes per grade level. I give my fourth graders 20 minutes of required reading time in English (many of my students are multilingual and read extra in various languages) and I do about 20 minutes of math. Kids need time to play, relax, and spend time with their families.

10. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Aug 19, 2011

Wondering... does anyone know of a district or school with a "No Homework" policy for all days?

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2011

I rarely give HW on weekends, except for unfinished seatwork from the week (and they have an extra chunk of time on Friday to work on it). Sometimes, though, our math lesson runs long and we don't get through everything, or I can tell they need some extra practice on a topic, so I will send something home. I've also done weekend HW when we've had multiple snow days during a week and are trying to get back on track. So while I agree with the concept, I don't like the idea of a blanket policy.

I can also see some kids wasting their time on Fridays, because they know the teacher can't send it home as homework.