No feedback given after a demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by NoClassNoWay, Jun 12, 2008.

1. NoClassNoWay

NoClassNoWay New Member

Jun 12, 2008

I recently had a demo lesson in front of two assistant principals and 2 teachers. After the demo lesson was over I walked with them to the main office where I was asked to wait while everyone else went into the principal's office. About a minute later, one assistant principal came out and said that the principal would be in contact with me. No one invited me to discuss my lesson or offered me any feedback. I honestly received really bad vibes from this and am not sure how to take it. Is this something typical that happens? I just think it's strange that no feedback was offered what so ever. Has anyone had similar experiences? Should I just assume I didn't get the job.

3. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

There is no way to really predict. Sometimes the team just wants to see all candidates before they make any kind of decision.
    Go on each interview you can.Good luck

4. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I'm just curious, what part of the country do you live in?? I'm in AZ and I have never once been asked to do a demo lesson.. I don't know anyone who has done one either. I'm wondering if it's a regional thing. I'm also in a high growth area and I wonder if that makes a difference...Is it something that is done in areas where teaching jobs are hard to come by?

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

Send a thank you note to each person. Highlight something you thought went well in the lesson. Tell them you look forward to hearing from them. Unless something negative is said, always assume positive things.

6. Librarian79

Librarian79 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

That happened to me too...

Actually, in most cases, the demo lesson is an interview. Not many committees/principals/superintendents give you feedback after an interview, so they won't after a demo lesson. I actually did a demo lesson once where the principal told me that we would discuss it afterward (this was our first meeting - I know...a demo lesson as the first (and supposedly only) interview. So I did the demo lesson, and the principal was like, thank you for coming in, and walked out. I was like, WTH?! I was upset because I thought the interview would be afterwards...needless to say I didn't get the job. It was ridiculous.
    *Backstory: district called and wanted to hire me w/o an interview (I'd interviewed in the district before, had strong contacts, etc) The principal told me he would check with the super just to make sure that I didn't have to interview, just to cover bases. He called and said that we'll just do a little "informal" interview/demo lesson just so they can say that I interviewed and it wouldn't come back to bite them....well, that didn't work out apparently. They sent me the letter 3 weeks later!

I wouldn't say you didn't get the job...they probably just want to see all candidates and will confer later. Good luck! :2up:

7. colie

colie Companion

Jun 12, 2008

This same thing happened to me this week. I did a demo lesson on Tuesday. It went well in my opinion. The observers seemed to look intrested and were smiling when I glanced in their direction. Afterward the classroom teacher and aides said, 'good job'. As for the principal and the rest of the observers they told me that they would be interviewing throughout the week, and that was it. I thanked them and shook their hands and that was it.

This shocked me because when the principal called me to set up the lesson she told me to arrange for some time to meet with the principal of the school as well (2 different principals). I would be working in the school of the one that phoned me, but would have some kids in my class in the school I did the demo. THey are seperated by grade k-2 3-4 etc.

I didn't know what to take from this experience either. It is not the end of the week yet, so I am only thinking positive thoughts about the position.

In regard to thank you cards, normally I send them out on resume paper. For this experience I bought real thank you cards for the class and each person from rite aid...I hope this will help!!!

8. NoClassNoWay

NoClassNoWay New Member

Jun 12, 2008

Thanks to everyone for their responses! It was just a weird experience because I didn't receive a "good job" or any sort of comment. I did notice one of the observers smiling during the lesson and looking like she was enjoying it. I'm from New York and teaching positions are getting harder to come by in and around Long Island. A demo lesson is usually part of the interview process around here.

9. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 12, 2008

They did a couple of demo lessons in my class my first year teaching. I got to sit back and observe the lesson and the interviewers. They never really smiled. Sometimes they would comment to each other, but no real indication on how the person did. I know for a fact that at least two of the teachers who did a demo in my room were hired (all of the demos were for a new school). I wouldn't take it personally.

10. BackpocketNJ

BackpocketNJ Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Almost everyone I know in NJ had to do a demo lesson or two before they got a job. There was only one school district I knew of that did not do them in NJ because the assistant super was not fond of them.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2008

I have never had to do a demo lesson and like a previous poster, haven't met anyone else that had to do one either so I can't give you any advice based on experience. I will suggest that you send an email thanking each interviewer for their time and then send a snail mail thank you to each interviewer and include something positive from the demo lesson. If you haven't heard anything in the given timeline, then I would also call.

Good luck and keep us updated!