No fabric in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yellowdaisies, Feb 1, 2014.

1. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 1, 2014

After a recent inspection, we were told that we have to remove ALL rugs, pillows, stuffed animals, etc. from our classrooms. It's not because of fire (that was my first thought) - it's because of lice and "other bugs." Every classroom, however, has one of those giant Lakeshore rugs, but we were told that's ok because they are higher quality and made for classrooms? :confused: Does anyone else have a rule like this? I was so sad to take all that stuff out of my classroom. I had a nice library area and a couple areas with rugs. My kids loved those areas for Daily 5 and math centers. :(

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

Feb 1, 2014

We've had that rule for about 8 years now for the same reason. Since then, we've also been told that we can't have personal furniture (stool, rocker, etc) at school, nor can we use personal electronics like radios, CD players. No reason given, though I doubt it's fear of lice. ;) (I think it's a liability issue.)

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 1, 2014

Yikes, no personal furniture OR electronics?? That's so limiting. How frustrating.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2014

We've always had that rule - no fabric, no personal furniture. It's very frustrating.

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 2, 2014

I worked at a school one time that had a rule about no personal effects in the room.

We had a rather micromanaging(read...mentally ill) P. She didn't allow any materials (educational or otherwise) that we purchased ourselves in the room. She came to every room at the beginning of the year and organized the room (including bulletin boards). It had to stay that way all year.

At the end of the year we had to account for every paper clip we were given. They had to be counted and boxed for her to collect.

I stayed one year. In this rural district in a southern state she was apparently beloved by the school board and was able to keep her job year after year. Just wasn't the place for me.

7. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 2, 2014

swan, I am surprised you lasted one year! I would go absolutely crazy(like the P) after one month. Paper clips are often tossed on my desk, and are often "lost" in the paper clutter!

8. teacherman1

teacherman1 Devotee

Feb 2, 2014

Sounds like one of those idiotic knee-jerk rules someone came up with in response to one or two incidences. Like in Providence, when one classroom had one incident with one little guinea pig and one "asthmatic" going to the hospital. (turns out she really had a bad, bad cold)

This led to the banning of all classroom pets in all schools in the district:dizzy: - including fish and reptiles.:confused:

Funny, that was my very first post on AtoZ over 4 years ago..

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 2, 2014

The hypocrisy of being able to keep the Lakeshore rug would bother me. There's nothing about it that would make it repel lice.

We've had outbreaks and just sprayed the carpets with the lice spray and washed the little rugs and stuffed animals-I think removing everything is going a little too far.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 2, 2014

:eek::eek::eek:Wow, that sure makes me feel better about my situation. That's nuts!!

The Lakeshore rug thing IS definitely bothering me.

There is lice spray?!?! You may have just come up with a potential solution. Some of the teachers were talking and wondering if something like this existed.

Of course, they will probably say no...but it's worth a try. :(

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 2, 2014

Is this rule being enforced throughout your entire district, or just your site?

We have a few teachers at my site who have reading nooks in their classrooms--complete with a couch, pillows, curtains--the whole nine yards. I can't imagine telling them to get rid of all that good stuff. :(

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 2, 2014

Yes, I know RID makes one, there are probably others out there. We bought a case one year and each teacher got a can. ;)

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2014

That really stinks. I would get those plastic foamy puzzle square things (cannot think of what they're called right now- too late at night) to act as my "rug area." My classroom wouldn't work without a "rug" space. (Actually 2 rug spaces since I'm in co-teaching.)

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 2, 2014

I work at a charter, so there's no district. We do have three schools, however, and as far as I know this is only being enforced at our school. I taught at this school last year and no one ever said anything about the rugs, etc. We are now at a brand new campus and are apparently under a lot of scrutiny this year. (Not by admin, but by inspectors of all sorts.) I did have a little reading area - two actually, with rugs and pillows. I had a whole basket with "reading buddies" - stuffed animal book characters. Some of us have window seats (I do), and now the kids have to sit on the hard seat with no cushions at all. Some of the teachers had actually hand made cushions to specifically fit the window seat and they have to take those home, too. :(

I'm going to bring this info to my school this week. However, they will probably say that it's an unapproved chemical or something...Sigh.

That is a really great solution, and I would consider that, but I'm actually job searching for next year and don't want to invest too much more into this classroom that I may not be able to use after this year. I love my school for the most part, but I can't stand southern California. So hopefully my new school will allow rugs. :rolleyes: And we actually do still have a giant classroom rug - every room has a brand new Lakeshore rug. Don't ask me how they are different, but apparently the insurance inspector thought so....

15. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 2, 2014

I think I would be inclined to send out a letter to the parents about how sad it is to have to get rid of all the stuff...

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 2, 2014

:lol: Not a bad idea...if only I were that brave.

17. ClearLice

ClearLice New Member

Jun 19, 2014

ClearLice has spray that repels lice and laundry additive to get rid of lice from washable items.

18. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 20, 2014

OMG I would be horrified if I had to do that to my classroom! I still remember in third grade, the teacher had this giant sized lion that we could sit on and cuddle during reading time. Thinking back now how disgusting that lion must have been I get sick, but I remember loving to read a book on him. :)

19. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2014

They wouldn't like me very much. In order for me to get any work done in my class room after school, I need either very loud punk rock or instrumental surf music.

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 21, 2014

I wouldn't have lasted very long there. I can't imagine having to sit & count paper clips! I lose those things all of the time. Every year it seems I have to buy more. I'm much better this year as I don't use them as much any more.

Did you have to account for staples too?