No Doc Cam. HELP!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by princessbloom, Sep 25, 2014.

1. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Hi everyone.
    I moved from public to private this year and our school doesn't really have the funding for a lot of technology. We have 2 student computers, a projector (which not every teacher has but I'm lucky enough) that is sitting on my desk crookedly pointing at the screen. For years in public I've used a doc cam for me to model for students. In reading I would put up the comprehension page and go through it with my students to show them my reading strategies, rather than just telling them. In Math I would show them the pictures I wanted them to draw for concepts, which keywords to underline, etc.
    I've been lost this year and have tried my best. My kids are struggling in Math and this has never happened. I've convinced myself it's because I don't have much of a way to model for them. I write the problems on the board but that is So time consuming, to write everything out!

I tried teaching it in small group but I didn't have enough time in rotations to teach the full lesson.

Please help. What else can I do to model for my students, if anything? :( :help:

I'm feeling like I am letting my students down!

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

San the comprehension page and show it on your projector.

4. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Sep 25, 2014

Is it possible to connect a tablet to the projector? I have a (personal) Samsung Galaxy Note and an Epson projector - I have an app that will allow me to connect the tablet to the projector wirelessly. I can open assignments that are saved in Word or PDF format and can make notes on them with my stylus. I can also take pictures of textbook pages or show other images and make notes on those as well. Another teacher has an iPad and can connect to her projector as well (and with more functionality).

I find it a bit better than a document cam, actually, as you're free to move around the room while you're writing things down.

5. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Is the app Doceri? I used that before in public, but our school paid for us to use it and I don't have access any more.
    I will check into others. Which do you use?

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

Ask a teacher in your school that's older than 40. :)

You can model math on the board.

7. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Not a bad idea, but then I don't have an easy way to write on it. I'd have to use my house and that's difficult when drawing math pictures. Unless I guess I purchased a mouse pen?

That's a lot of scanning, is my only issue. We don't have them at work and I'd have to do it all at home on my slow, slow old-fashioned scanner.:unsure:

8. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

HA! I would, but, I'm not confident in that teacher's abilities. It's a very small school, and the only person left to ask would be the person of this age. I have all of this person's kids and the kids don't have much of a clue about anything math related. It's scary. Not many of these kids passed the beginning of the year prerequisite exam. :crosseyed

All the other teachers are my age, and most of us are new this year and are coming from schools where we had technology. All of us are struggling with this.

Since the money isn't there I just want to find the best way possible to help these kids move up. I'm going back and teaching old concepts but I'd just like a better way of doing it.

9. curiouslystrong

curiouslystrong Companion

Sep 25, 2014

I use Epson iProjection, since I have an Epson projector. It's super basic, but it gets the job done when I need it to (and it's free).

I'll have to ask my colleague what app she uses - it's definitely not the same one as I use. Whatever she uses is way better, since she can project anything on her screen, instead of just stuff she opens within the app.

10. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

Not sure how to teach them to underline things like keywords in word problems without writing the whole word problem. Writing just the keywords down doesn't seem to be sinking in.
    Like today, they needed to circle 2 groups of hundreds blocks and I drew out (in a quick draw) what the problem looked like in the book then showed them what they should do. It took time! Multiply that by however many problems there are and it's wasting valuable class time that I'm not used to spending in this way.

Phew, :sorry:. Not trying to be a pain. This is just so different and so hard to do without a way to show it QUICKLY, EASILY, and without me having to scan pages upon pages every week.

11. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 25, 2014

That's how Docero works, you can project anything on your desktop screen and can manipulate it from the iPad. I miss it! ;)

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 25, 2014

I love my doc cam. But I've only had it for two years. It makes my life easier, but it doesn't increase student learning. I used an overhead projector and/or the board to model for my students.

13. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Sep 25, 2014

I haven't yet used my document camera this year- I'm using it less and less now that my school gave me a tablet laptop. I'm sure I will use it when I'm reading the students a book or want them to see something close up, but for text I just use a Word document or my Smart Notebook software (I have a Smartboard, but I don't use it as one- it's just a big projector and I let my students use my laptop to write stuff on the screen). Smart Notebook has a free version of it that you can use online or download and install it- it has less features but it's a start: http://express.smarttech.com/#

14. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

15. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2014

ipevo has a cheaper one for $70.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 25, 2014

I bought that one before I purchased the refurbed Epson. The Ipevo was very low quality.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 25, 2014

I don't have a document camera - never have. My kids make great progress in both math and ELA without this tool. Yes, it's a lot of writing on the board, scanning and transparencies on the overhead projector, but they learn. Could you write the problems on chart paper so you can model how to underline? Small group instruction? Just circulate a lot while you give oral directions? Have everyone sit on the floor around you with clipboards so you can see what they are doing? (Sorry, I don't know how old your students are, but this is always a hit with my grade 2s.) Be creative! Your kids will learn!!

18. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 26, 2014

If you have a tablet - scan with it.

Project the stuff onto a whiteboard or chalkboard & draw on it.

19. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

Is the projector you have in your room an overhead projector? You don't have to have a doc cam to model for your students how to work word problems. I used an overhead projector for my student teaching and the first few years of teaching. Transparencies are easy to make.

20. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

Hmm.

I am not really all that old, but I still do most things by hand, meaning that I write everything on the board in real time. For me it works much better to do it this way because the students can see exactly how everything works and can watch me go through the steps. When everything gets projected, it's very easy for students to miss the work that must come between steps A and B.

21. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 26, 2014

Kids learned word problems long before projectors and document cameras. Conversely, students do not NOT pass math exams because of a lack of available technology.

They pass, or don't pass, due to the teacher's skill and ability to teach lessons. You say you've convinced yourself the student's lack of understanding is due to not having a way to display information. Please unconvince yourself. Instead, focus on ways to make it work, know your material, and improve your presentation skills without technology.

I would go so far as to say that the fact that students have information laid out in front if them and don't have to work or THINK about it could contribute to their lack of understanding.

22. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 26, 2014

My suggestions:

Create a paper chart with key words, then walk through word problems verbally and have students search for them.

Use transparencies and prewrite key word problems out so you're not using class time.

See if you can get a rolling transparency attachment for your overhead. Bonus-kids love to clean it for you.

Do more with small groups.

Project directly into a whiteboard, rather than a screen, then you can use a marker to underline etc. The kids get a kick out of how it looks when you shut off the light.

23. Rox

Rox Cohort

Sep 26, 2014

Can you set up a webcam with one of the student computers, then connect it to the projector and project that onto the screen?

24. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 26, 2014

*Moderator hat on*

If you find a post offensive, use the report button to alert the mods to the post. We can't read every single post that's made on this site, and we rely on users to help let us know when there's a problem. Responding to a post you find offensive with a snarky reply of your own only derails the thread even farther and increases the chance it will turn into a bicker fest instead of something useful.

*mod hat off/teacher hat on*

OP, you've been given some good suggestions, but take this as a learning experience. Technology is not present in every situation. Even if it is present, it sometimes fails. How will you continue to be an effective teacher in those events? What would you do if for some reason you had to teach without electricity for a month? Yes, it can happen, just as it did where I grew up during my Sr. year of high school.

Many of us "old school" teachers are somewhat frustrated that the newer generation of teachers are coming out of school so reliant on technology that students suffer when it's not available. That's not necessarily your fault. It's likely the fault of your professors who, if they were anything like some of the ones I've had recent experience with, are so gung-ho about all the newest gadgets and devices they forget about basic, old school techniques. But this can be an incredible learning experience for you, if you choose to see it that way.

25. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2014

This is the beauty if the document camera. It's like writing on the board but it's lit up on a screen that is positioned so that no one's view is ever blocked. You can mark a paper or a whiteboard under the document projector with highlighters, pencils, colored pens, etc. you can stop, erase, and so on. The students are actually seeing the work modeled on paper just as they see in front of them.

My students in SPED are much more closely attuned to a projected lit image than the whiteboard.

26. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

Right, but if you don't have access to a document camera, then you can accomplish basically the same thing with a board and a dry erase marker. Writing out a word problem by hand onto a piece of paper to display via a document camera isn't much less work than writing that same problem on the board. The biggest difference is the size of your lettering.

I was mostly responding to the issue of displaying something from a computer screen via an LCD projector, particularly when that something would need to have been prepared ahead of time and might omit key steps.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2014

Haven't read the entire thread, but consider that math teacher for years have taught successfully and currently teach successfully math content standards with little more than a black/whiteboard and chalk/markers or overhead projector...it's hard to back down from high tech resources...but they are tools...they are not what matter...your good teaching, student connection and one on one instruction are what are valuable.:2cents:

28. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 27, 2014

It's a wonder I know anything about Math, considering none of my teachers ever used a document camera.

I use mine from time to time, and I would likely miss it if I didn't have it, but my students would still learn.

29. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 27, 2014

I'll be honest, I would be devastated if I lost the ability to use Powerpoint and the internet. I'm not so sure I'd be nearly as good without those two resources. At least, not initially. Especially if I was given a new prep!

30. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2014

I agree but it was good enough to meet my needs.

31. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 27, 2014

Yes, I couldn't agree more. However, it is super handy to be able to take screen shots and recordings for reteaching and absent students. I have also used both a screen shot and recording from previous years for interventions and subs.

32. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 27, 2014

Okay people. The OP came here to address a serious question. AtoZ should be a safe place for people to ask questions and address professional weaknesses. I think the fact that she asked the question and wants to learn shows a strong desire to be the best teacher she can be. While I personally might be irritated that the teacher training programs are turning out teachers that are far too reliant on technology, this is not necessarily the fault of the OP. She's found herself in a situation where she doesn't have access to the resources she was trained to use, and now she wants to be able to teach effectively without them. This is a good thing. Let's try to be more supportive and less snarky.

33. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 27, 2014

Thank you mmswm! I appreciate it.

I really do want to learn, thus the reason I came here because I respect all of you as professionals. I didn't mean to say that the lack of technology was making me a bad teacher, or to imply that those who don't use it are bad. Just that I've become accustomed to using it and didn't find myself as effective simply because I've never gone without it. Before, I had a routine of teaching with the technology. Now I'm just a little out of my routine. :)

I do think I'll invest in a chart stand. I have used my regular white board while projecting images to write on. I think I'll just have to use that option more often.

34. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 27, 2014

I tought without a document camera before having one...but I would not be without one now. It is a powerful tool and it's not simply a piece of "convenience technology". I find that some seasoned teachers are too quick to dismiss the significance of some technologies simply because they successfully taught a different educational era. If you were successful without technology, you can likely be even more successful with certain tools in your classroom.

OP, I would consider Donor Choose. I understand your frustrations.

35. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 27, 2014

I tried Donors Choose. They do not accept applications from private schools. They only serve public. I wrote an email to them stating that while I appreciate what they do, I think it is a common misconception that private schools have all the funding they need. My school, for example, serves a low socioeconomic population because our prices are more affordable than most other private schools, purposely, so that these students have access to a private, Christian education. Most of our parents work several jobs to be able to pay for their child's education.

The reply I got back was that they simply haven't branched out into private YET.

We will see, one day.

36. Sugar

Sugar Rookie

Sep 27, 2014

I didn't realize. That's disappointing. I figured lots of people would be eager to give to a school teaching their faith (and I'm sure that's true, if only Donors Choose would explore it). Sorry.

37. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 27, 2014

Great suggestion though! :D

38. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 28, 2014

Well, I'm one of those young teachers who relies on technology SO I'll reply... :lol:

Kidding, kidding. I get it, OP. Of course it's possible to teach without it, but tech tools really do enhance learning experiences.

Do you have an iPad? Personal or otherwise? My school did away with document cameras this year in favor of ipads. We have an app called Reflector that allows us to use the camera on the iPad to project through the computer. My favorite thing about it is that I can walk around the room and show student work; it's not like a typical document camera that is anchored in one spot. We have a stand for the ipad. I think the stand is sort of expensive, but I'm not sure. There might be cheaper ones.

Anyway, that would be a good option if you already have an iPad. If not, sorry if this frustrates you more.

Oh, and you'd also have to have pretty good wifi for this option.

39. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 28, 2014

Thanks! I have an iPad which I use frequently, especially in small group. I'll look into Reflector! Our wifi, though, is very iffy from day to day. It comes and goes on its own. My room is the worst, too!

40. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 28, 2014

Have you ever tried using https://cloudconvert.org to convert documents to jpgs? I'm not sure if that would solve your problems, but I've been able to take those images and paste them to whiteboards.

41. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 29, 2014

See if you can set up wifi in your room? Buy a wifi router - plug your ethernet cable into it, then plug an ethernet cable from the router into your computer/student computers/whatever, then enable wireless