no discipline enforcement at my school...HELP

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by traeh, Aug 31, 2007.

1. traeh

traeh Companion

Aug 31, 2007

I have discovered through the orientation meetings, etc. that where I work, there is very little if any punishment given to students who behave inappropriately.

Apparently, there is no detention. Okay, there is a 'lunch detention' which is a 23 minute session similar to study hall, to which the students must report, in place of their lunch. I've heard that this does little to thwart the behavioral issues as the kids don't take it seriously. In fact, at the end of the year they 'brag' about how many of these mini-detentions they have accumulated.

My dept. head told me that after-school detentions are permitted. However, he said nobody gives them. He said the students won't come anyway so it's useless giving them. How can they not be REQUIRED to go? In my high school, I believe those who didn't go to their detention, had in school suspension!

Now this is my first year teaching and I was planning on giving detentions to those who continuously acted inappropriately. However, since nobody does this, I almost feel awkward. And, I worry the kids might not even show! And then I can't do anything about it!

Also, for lateness, the kids are apparently not permitted to be referred to the assistant principal.

I am very worried about how I am supposed to discipline those who violate my procedures/policies. If any of you can help me develop a plan before school starts, I'd greatly appreciate it!!! I'm at a loss right now...

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2007

I have never heard of a school (much less a HS) that did not permit detentions. Wow, makes the job of the teachers a little more difficult. I can't help you with a plan because I have never taught HS nor have I been a situation like this. I'm just shocked at your situation! But I know that there are teachers in this forum that will have some excellent advice to give.

4. synapse

synapse Comrade

Aug 31, 2007

We could argue a long time about whether or not detentions have any impact on behavior. However, it is a moot point for you. So, rather than stressing over what you don't have at your disposal, you might want to use that energy to develop tools that will make your classroom and school work.

I would begin by writing down what type of behavior you feel you need for students to learn and for you to teach. Then figure out how you are (a) going to communicate that to your students and (b) teach it to those students who don't know how. If your students are developmenatlly able, you might want to involve them in this process.

Classroom and behavior management is much more about you than it is about your students. Concentrate on planning engaging, interesting, developmentally appropriate, fun lessons that begin on time (the timing will help with lateness...students are rarely late to places that they actually want to be).

Work on developing a relationship with your students. Consider the teachers you had in school...the one's whose class you never cut...where you paid attention....what was it about thier teaching and your relationship with them that you can emulate?

5. Almost_Finished

Almost_Finished New Member

Sep 10, 2007

That's a great point synapse. I always went to classes that were interesting/exciting and I liked and respected the teacher.

I know its an impossible task to be liked by everyone, but if you make the classes intresting and applicable to real life, you will earn respect from your students.

6. cokelady

cokelady Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

Why dont you go to the school board and file a complaint, or call the parents, have a meeting with the parents and child. You could do a reward program but could cost you a little money, no tardies to class for the semester you get a class party, otherwise if you have kids constantly getting there late, they just go to the library when we have the party. That is what they do in middle school...As a parent I bought soda, chips and cake and they watched a movie made the kids happy...

7. ddb23

ddb23 Companion

Sep 18, 2007

Sounds like a tough situation. Sorry to hear that there is not much support for you. A lot of times, it seems like the older (veteran) teachers don't have many discipline troubles. My experience is that some of this is due to their reputation. Some advice:

1) I agree that the number one way to avoid serious problems is to have engaging lessons. Kids will be kids, but engaging lessons and activities control a classroom better than any discipline policy.

2) If you want to give detention, then give detention. Make the lunch detention painful. Use a blank wall with nothing but a clock on it. Makes the time go by really slow. No talking, etc.

3) Call home and get the parents support. Show that you really care about their child's education. Get support for your discipline policy because it's designed to protect the instructional time. Do this and when kids don't show up you can call home and have the parents send them back to school....

4) This will build your reputation as "the teacher not to mess with because he/she will call your house and come and get you for detention and make you stare at a clock." Kids won't want detention and it will no longer be fun for them....

db

8. wunderwhy

wunderwhy Comrade

Sep 18, 2007

An idea about tardies --

You could start each class with a 5 question oral quiz of the class before. You read the questions, the class answers on a sheet of paper and turns it in. Students who miss the questions without an excused late pass will not be able to make them up. This way there are real consequences to missing the start of class. If kids want to make them up, then they will only have the opportunity to do so in detention (solves the detention attendance problem too).

If the school doesn't provide any means for discipline, then I would focus your energy on developing a rapport with the kids (which I would recommend for all teachers of course, but in this case it's your best classroom management strategy too). Kids are much more likely to come to class on time if you act like they've broken your heart and are making their poor, nice teacher's job so difficult by not coming to class on time. Nobody likes to have a nice authority figure disappointed in them.

I limit bathroom visits by making my copious extra credit or "get out of jail free card" void if they exceed two visits per marking period. You may want to give them some sort of extra credit which is void after three tardies.

9. LCFMOM

LCFMOM Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

I have a point system for tardies and bad behavior that works for high school students. Points are deducted from "Participation" grade in stealth mode. You were tardy; you lost 4 points. I'm not going to discuss it with you. If I have to verbally admonish a student, I typically have the student write down what happened and what he could have done differently (on a form) and I follow it up with a letter home. I'm a big letter (or email) writer so that the parent isn't shocked when the Little Dumpling comes home with a D on the midterm report card because he is tardy every day, speaks out of turn, writes on his desk, yada yada yada. An explanation of the point system was sent home and signed by the parent at the beginning of the school year so everyone is on notice. I would be happy to send it to you, but I don't know how to... :/p
    Oh! And I don't keep the points. There is always some trustworthy student who just LOVES to hold the point system clipboard.