No desks for students?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by miss-m, Jan 6, 2015.

1. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jan 6, 2015

I've been thinking about this a lot as I'm subbing...
    One of my biggest pet peeves is when kids lean back or rock in their chairs. It drives me NUTS because the chairs almost always creak and the kids usually aren't listening to instruction if they're leaning. I know the biggest reason for this is that they just need to MOVE, but it's also very distracting to have them leaning or constantly moving in their seats.

There's a charter school near me that has a different system -- the classes have a few tables and chairs, but they also have pillows and cushions and clipboards for the kids. Students can choose whether they sit at a table or on the floor. At first I thought this was ridiculous, because where would they keep their stuff? But after a few months of subbing... it's starting to sound more and more appealing.

Does anyone here have a school that does something like this? Is this even doable in a public school (a few tables and then kids can sit where they're most comfortable, even if it's on the floor with a clipboard)?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2015

I have tables in my classroom, not desks, and there is enough seating at the tables for all of my students. At any given time, when the students are working, there are about half a dozen on the floor (some sprawled on their stomachs), a couple standing at the back counter, and one or two crouched on their chairs (looks so uncomfortable, but they like it!). I have a couple of extra large tables and I'm debating having them dropped down to coffee table height to give yet another option.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 7, 2015

In the tutoring center where I work, there are small study rooms, a large living room with multiple easy chairs and couches, bean bag chairs, one of those treadmills with desk attached, all kinds of nooks and places to go. It's very cool and the kids get to choose where to work with their tutors.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2015

We have a seat for everyone (at tables) sometimes I need all the kids in their seats. But, I have a lot of pillows, bean bags, 2 rugs, etc. and a set of clipboards so students are constantly spread out and moving to different places. I feel like every student does need their own space- which for me is just a seat with their name on it. But they don't spend more than 20 minutes at a time in their seat I would say. Tipping on chairs and stuff like that is not a problem.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 11, 2015

A middle school math teacher called me YEARS ago to tell me she thought my son was ADD because he was rocking back in his chair. After asking her if she was qualified to evaluate for ADD to support her 'diagnosis', she said she wasn't . So I told her she could talk about BEHAVIORS...and chair tipping was the only issue. I told her to either take his chair away or let him fall.