No Desk?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by glitterfish, Aug 2, 2009.

1. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

I'm thinking about completely getting rid of my teacher desk this year. Last year, it just became a dumping ground for papers to pile up. I never sat at it during the day (always up and around the room, interacting with the students) and before/after school I often would camp out around one of the reading tables to grade papers, plan, etc. My classroom is pretty small and I'll have a lot more students next year. If I get rid of my desk, I'll still have room for a meeting/circle area.

What do you think? Has anyone else done this? Pros? Cons? How have you made it work?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 2, 2009

My first year teaching, I used a very small table as a teacher desk and it worked out just fine. I didn't even miss it, as I never had time to sit down, and it made me stay more organized.

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

I got rid of my desk last year. Haven't missed it once. In fact, 3 people in my grade level did the same this year because of seeing me do it. I put all my items in labeled storage containers (the small food disposable ones) and put those into a rolling storage cart. Now I use a kidney table for my table.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

I think I will get rid of my desk as well. I've always preferred to use my classroom space for the students anyway. I need the room taken up by my desk for an extra reading area. I wonder if my custodians will store it somewhere or make me keep it.

6. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 2, 2009

I got rid of my actual desk this year. I'm using a table instead... I don't know if that counts though. I know what you mean though. I need less surfaces in my life, because the more you put in front of me the more piles I can make. :)

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

We have to have some sort of desk for our teacher computer.

8. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

Just from being on this board I know a ton of teachers get rid of their desks. It makes them file away papers and clean up the clutter. I think every single teacher in my school has a desk in their room, so it's not something we do (I don't really know why.) But I think it's a great idea!

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2009

I am DEFINITELY getting rid of my desk. :) Tomorrow, look out, everyone!!!

(LOL, some random words run through my mind sometimes and I type what I think. Yikes.)

10. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Aug 2, 2009

:lol: haha Ms.J!

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2009

As a former secretary/office manager, it was hard, but I got rid of my desk last year. :thumb: I created an area behind my kidney table (reading groups) and kept my supplies in Sterilite rolling carts and file cabinets (all plastic). It made a lot more room in my classroom for things like centers, etc.

12. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Keep the comments coming. I need to build up my confidence because I'm a bit worried that I'll really miss it once it's gone.

Anyone else have more specifics on how you made it work? The one thing I'm unsure about is my laptop, but I'm thinking I could primarily keep that on the projector cart so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm wondering if the janitor will be irritated that I want it out of the room. It just seems to take up so much space because it's not just the actual desk, but the area that has to be left around it for the chair and stuff, if that makes sense.

I'm getting excited, though. I really want it out! :thumb:

13. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2009

I used a student desk for my laptop - I just kept it behind my kidney table (I had a rowdy bunch). This year, I hope to have a laptop / projector / document camera cart (rolling), so we'll see....

14. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 3, 2009

I graded papers at my reading table after school, put supplies in rolling carts,important papers in a crate on top of one cart, and never missed my desk.

15. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I don't have a real desk.. I do have a table where I have to have my computer, but most of my stuff is stored behind my kidney table. I gave up my desk so I could have a cozy library in my room. I have no regrets!!

16. Irma

Irma Companion

Aug 3, 2009

This is the second time I've gone without a desk. In its place, I was able to create a publishing center. I still have the reading table I can do work, but really, I don't use my desk..maybe 5% of the day and can't justify the space it takes.

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

I have a station for my document camera- I put my laptop on that.

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2009

The desk does take a lot of space. The area around it and the room for the chair. Plus I have short shelves behind my desk. I really am getting excited about it! I just worry that my custodians will say no....then, what if I want it back one year?

19. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I too got rid of my desk and I LOVE it!!! I have a very small table for my computer, scanner, and printer. It harldy takes up any space.

I bought a colorful shoe organizer at Lowes and labeled it. I keep staples, post-its, etc in it. It hangs on the wall in the back of the room and I really like it.

20. teachermegs

teachermegs Rookie

Aug 3, 2009

I turn my desk around facing the wall and it is behind my kidney desk.

21. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

You know I was toying with this idea too and seeing this thread is definitely helping me in the decision-making process. Right now I have my desk kind of hidden behind some metal shelves and I never sat at it last year, except maybe a handful of times at the end of the day -- but mostly I worked from a table. What's funny is that sometimes last year I asked students to put something on my desk and they would either a) ask where it was or b) set it on a table =)

22. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 3, 2009

It. Is. Going. To. Be. GONE. Soon.

I went in today and began laughing like a fool, going, "You're GONE, sucker, GONE!" I then beckoned the custodian and informed him of my upcoming decision.

He responded, "Your desk? Teacher desk?" He then cocked his head to one side and went on with "Hmm..... okay!" (He seemed receptive, but I believe EVERY teacher in my school has a teacher's desk.)

I continued with "It's quite bulky and takes up a lot of space. I want it to go to someone who needs it in another room. I really don't need it."

While actually I thought, BUH-BYE!!!!!!!! Bruhahahahaha!

Then the teacher next door came back to start setting up. She said hello, but not too long after that, she asked (go figure), "I wonder, where do you put your teacher's desk in the classroom?"

I looked at her smugly and blurted out, "I'm gettin' rid of it." :lol:

23. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 3, 2009

Also, I had things in the desk I haven't seen for a few years. I didn't even GO in my desk, yet the top was clean most of the time. Additionally, I love how I am setting up the area by my guided reading/math/writing table because I know I'll be able to access materials MUCH more easily than ever.

24. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I got rid of my teacher desk 3 years ago. I don't miss it at all! I have a student desk I keep my laptop on it. I have a rolling cart with drawers and an attached file box thing on the top. I keep that beside my kidney table. I don't miss the teacher desk at all!

25. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 3, 2009

Get rid of the big, ugly, uncomfortable wooden "teacher" chair, too (unless you want it for an author's chair or something)! I have a rolling "secretary's" chair I purchased at Walmart for $19, and it is great!

26. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

i got rid of mine because i have a huge sink with a under cabinet and 8 drawers in the front of the room. i turn off the water and place a piece of countertop on top of the sink hole and VIOLA...instant desk. :) i did it last year and it was the best thing i ever did!

27. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I did the same thing with my sink, but turned it into the science station.

I don't have a desk either. But I do have a built-in computer hutch. I keep most of my "stuff" in my file cabinet or on the shelves behind my guided reading table or in the cabinets.

28. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 3, 2009

I have a regular size chair on wheels that I kept from the desk. It's... all right. It'll work in getting around the room when I need to do so, and it's fine for the horseshoe table, also.

I have the big chair at home, but my home desk is wonderful and very organized. :haha: