No deduction from Taxes in Oregon

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by LvToyFoxTerrier, Jan 21, 2010.

1. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Jan 21, 2010

I have been saving all my receipts this year that I have spent on my classroom only to find out that in Oregon you can not deduct them from your taxes unless you teach K-12. I think this is very unfair.
    Does your state have this same rule?? :mad:

3. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jan 21, 2010

Is there some other way of deducting the items as work related expenses but not specifically teaching related? I would ask a tax person in your state.

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2010

If your school is non-profit, you can deduct them as a charitable contribution whether it's an elementary school or a preschool.

5. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 21, 2010

Lv, I would consult a CPA. I think there are some ways around this.

6. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jan 21, 2010

yeah talk with a CPA, a friend of ours is one and he told me that I can probably go ahead and deduct them. :) it's only up to $250 though.

7. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Feb 2, 2010

I have the same issue out here in Iowa. I work in Minnesota, so that's two states that don't offer a deduction! Even my CPA thought it wasn't fair that we don't get the tax deduction. Maybe as our country keeps moving towards preschool for everyone, they will remember the important people behind it, the teachers and give us a break! Personally, not getting to write items off on my taxes has not curbed my spending on the things I personally want for my classroom activities. I always keep a wish list for larger items to give to my director when she announces that we received a grant.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 2, 2010

you can probably deduct them from your federal income tax-- either under the edcuator expense or under other work related expenses-- by definition it has to be expenses that are considered normal and necessary in your line of work. Lord knows for us preschool teachers that is just about everything!

9. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Feb 2, 2010

I know people who teach PreK or EC in public schools and take the deduction anyway even though it specifies K-12... if it's public school, methinks it should count.

10. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Feb 4, 2010

one of our preschool teachers was told by her tax preparer that she could take it as long as the program included kindergarten