no cursive skills

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by dreaming_luke, Sep 13, 2007.

1. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

Soooo.... I am teaching Grade 6 and such have labels and such around the classroom all in handwriting. As I am writing their homework on the board not one of them could read it :confused:. It hasn't been taught, should I take time to teach it?? Should I just do it quick and not expect them to write much? It is about the quality of thoughts on the paper anyways, isn't it?? Hmmm.....there's always a suprise or another isn't there?? :p

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2007

Not one?

Cursive is taught in 3rd grade here. Wow! I'd say, you should definitely teach it. Maybe you should speak to some one about this though.

4. savedbug

savedbug Rookie

Sep 13, 2007

I wouldnt waist my time teaching cursive. You have too many other standards to hit. Teaching them cursive wont make them better readers or writers. Cursive is beautiful but not needed.

5. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Sep 14, 2007

Oh dear lord. . . .

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 14, 2007

They should now how to tead cursive by now, wait untill when they get to high school and alot of their teachers write in bad chicken scratch cursive.

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Sep 14, 2007

I agree that there are many other things to teach, but if you don't try to teach it you will be doing the children a disservice. Cursive is most definitely required on testing. At least here it is. it's not your fault that they were never taught, but you should try to remedy the situation.

8. jwhitg

jwhitg Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

Yup. Here in Texas it is required to be taught in 3rd. I feel many of my 6th and 7th graders use the "I can't read cursive" as an excuse. Yes, some may still be having problems, but so many at this age just don't want to! :rolleyes:

9. dreaming_luke

dreaming_luke Rookie

Sep 14, 2007

I don't know if it is required here at the primary grades, but the primary teachers didn't want to do it I was told.....oh well I don't mind doing it... I say that now:huh:

10. 6ertchr

6ertchr Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

I've noticed that, although the students learn it in 3rd grade, very few teachers require them to keep up with it afterwards. I actually had tears from one student when he found out that I require language arts work to be written in cursive. I decided to give all of my students a cursive chart and told them to refer to it as necessary. After 2 weeks, they are more comfortable with it.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 15, 2007

I agree-our third grade teacher teaches it, but the fourth grade teacher lets them do whatevery they want. The fifth grade is big on cursive, but by then they have lost a whole year of practice...sigh

12. redhaiku

redhaiku New Member

Sep 21, 2007

Meh@cursive.

I'd rather teach typing than cursive.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2007

We actually introduced cursive writing last year in 2nd grade. After learning all the letters, upper and lower case, I allowed the students to write in cursive if they wanted to use it on other assignments. Some that had horrible print, wrote beautifully in cursive.

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 21, 2007

Here, they teach cursive in 3rd grade, but I do not require it. I feel that it's not truly important, as everyone develops their own handwriting style anyway. Yes, they need to be able to READ it and of course, sign their names. But, for every day use? Not necessary, IMO. I actually tell my kids that they can't print or write in cursive, but if I can't read it it will be wrong! Therefore, I only have 1 who writes in it ALL the time (he has the best handwriting in the entire class!!).
    I may spend a little time on it, if I were you. Just enough so they can read it.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 22, 2007

I teach cursive in 3rd grade, and we continue to practice in 4th. I think you should continue to write in cursive and make sure they know how to read it. Give them a sheet of paper with the print and cursive alphabets on it, so they can interpret it if they need to. Even write out worksheets in cursive if you are making them yourself. I have a cursive font on my computer, so you could probably find one online.

16. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Sep 22, 2007

I teach it in grade 3 as well, but it's the same thing here - I find that not all teachers require the students to write in cursive. Most of the grade 5 and 6 students are still printing.

17. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 22, 2007

Wow, at my school, all students above 4th grade are required to write most assignments in cursive. It is required on testing. I would definitely teach it. Just my opinion...

18. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Sep 25, 2007

My kids spend all of 5th grade having to write in cursive. I don't want them to write in cursive in my classroom. It takes longer, it's harder to read/grade. As far as spelling goes, I think it is easier to internalize spellings of words if you print them - you can see the "shape" of the word, the parts of the word better. Cursive is really supposed to be there for quick writing - now we have typing for that. I would much prefer my students to have quick typing skills than excellent cursive skills. That said, I do think it should be taught - Signatures would be one reason, and the other would be that for some students it is easier... It does feel old fashioned, though, no?

19. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 25, 2007

I teach them in 4th, which is a review of 3rd (though they do not too much in prep). This year's students are really great with it, and it's not more difficult to read. For some students, it is faster for them to write in cursive, and their b's/d's then aren't backwards. I definitely recommend making sure your students know it.

20. savedbug

savedbug Rookie

Sep 26, 2007

I didn't realize that other states require students to write in cursive for tests. In California we do not have that requirement. I can see how cursive is stressed in other places.

21. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 26, 2007

It is not a requirment here either, but to be honest I would much rather see kids come to me with better typing skills than cursive skills, most the kids I see can read cursive, just no write in it except for their name. That is fine with me, however many of them still type with two fingers, which drives me nuts, typing is such a valuable skill these days. In High School and College almost everything you do is typed and if you can type fast, you have a leg up on everyone. To be honest I can type alot faster than I can write.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 26, 2007

Brendan, my hubby still does the peck type. That's why I type out his college assignments for him. He would take forever!! I agree though. My mom was a paralegal and did a lot of typing on the computer so I guess I just picked up some from her and the computer classes that I took in elementary and high school.

23. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 26, 2007

My students write in cursive or they type. So many of the students that print do not know how to space properly, so it ends up looking one one big word. It is amazing how many cannot READ cursive because someone decided it was not important. I will say however, I do not teach it as they were taught in 2/3/4. I do require them to use it in most situations.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  24. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Sep 26, 2007

We don't require assignments to be wrote in Cursive at the middle school level. I do require all essays and major projects to be typed in Middle School and encourage all else to be typed.We have one High School English teacher who insists all tests be done in cursive becuase it helps the kids learn better or something. (I've seen her tests it says this test must be completed in Cursive.) She does this becuase of some study that came out, problem is their is a study tha counteracts each study and vice versa.

25. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 26, 2007

Middle school types essays and major projects. This, of course, is not possible on state tests.
    Writing cursive is faster than printing which is important as they get older. I do have two students who have IEPs that allow them to print. I can't read their printing very well either, but it is better than their cursive.

You can find studies to support or counteract any study out there.