No curriculum, teaching third

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HermioneGranger, May 7, 2017.

1. HermioneGranger

HermioneGranger Rookie

May 7, 2017

Hi all!

Next year I'm teaching third grade after over 10 years in fifth. The only thing I am concerned about is the fact that my new district does not have a mandated curriculum for any subject. They use on online program that has multiple sources for each standard. I have not yet been trained on it, but think I have it pretty well figured out.

I know I can handle finding my own resources and I have a lot of teaching experience. However, I'm wondering what I should use since I assume that I won't have leveled readers, nor a reading anthology/textbook. It's been nice to always have a textbook of stories to refer to in regards to teaching reading skills and strategies. Instead of a curriculum with provided vocab and spelling lists each week, they have a list of sight words they need to know by the end of the year.

Does anyone have any suggestions in regards to resources? I'm specifically interested in language arts and reading resources, however will take suggestions for any subject area. This can include, but is not limited to how you've dealt with not having a mandated curriculum, specific TPT sellers/resources... I'm open to any help I can get. Thank you so much in advance!!!