No Curriculum and Freaking out!

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Busy Bug, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Busy Bug

Busy Bug Rookie

Aug 2, 2014

I have been hired for the middle school CD room. Mostly self contained class. This is my first year teaching. I will be teaching Lang Arts, Math, Social Studies, Reading, Environmental conservation, life skills, and functional skills each day. I have mostly 6th grade kids all day except for math and reading I have some 7th and 8th graders mixed into my 6 graders. The kids are at different learning levels. I have not been left with any curriculum. I don't know what to do. I'm freaking out at the aspect of zero curriculum to follow for 7 subjects and still needing to learn the legal IEP paperwork. Help how do new teachers find the correct curriculum?

3. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Aug 2, 2014

Unfortunately I have never had a curriculum for any class I taught. This is my 9th year teaching special ed. The administration will always tell you, "Do what they need." It's good in a way, but also feels like a "cop out" at times. It makes life harder for us because we have to do everything from "scratch." Then again, most of the kids don't learn in the typical form or fashion, so teaching them a set curriculum probably wouldn't help anyway. You just have to get to know the kids and what they need.

Good luck!

4. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Aug 2, 2014

You just have to follow the general curriculum that their grade level peers follow and modify it to their needs. Make sure you teach their IEP goals. There is no separate curriculum for special ed.

5. Busy Bug

Busy Bug Rookie

Aug 2, 2014

Thanks It helps to talk to you all on the forum. I am excited but feeling overwhelmed. I really appreciate the help and support.

6. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Aug 4, 2014

I would see if you can get gen ed curriculum and modify that. Then look for elementary curriculum for students who are lower. Talk to experienced sped teachers about sped specific curriculum and how to write IEPs. Look at the IEPs you inherit-hopefully they are good.

7. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 4, 2014

I just modify the regular curriculum. You may want to ask about being put in touch with someone teaching a similar class as yours at another school. It helped me out a ton when I first taught a class for students with autism.

8. Busy Bug

Busy Bug Rookie

Aug 5, 2014

Thanks I have just been shown a binder with the core curriculum skill with the modifications for CD students. So that will help. I am told not to fret about the curriculum but to make sure I am meeting the goals in the IEP instead. Most stuff can be counted as curriculum for them that we do everyday. such as going to get food at store to cook and we read the recipe. That can count as reading and life skills. It may be easier than it seemed at first. As for core curriculum for math and English, I need to find out the regular ed skill and look in the binder to modify for CD kids. I feel sooo much better. Thanks everyone for the great advice.

9. Mr Red

Mr Red Rookie

Aug 13, 2014

Your not the only one. I am doing my first year of High School Life Skills. My previous year was in PPCD so there was no worry about STAAR/EOC.

Best of luck

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 13, 2014