No Contract...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Learner4Life, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 17, 2010

How long have you ever taught without a contract? We're going into our 3rd week of school and we're still going through negotiations!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 17, 2010

3 years ago we waited until about January until there was settlement on our contract. We are currently in the same position- no new contract...except this time our state is taking out 1.5 % for health care...so essentially we have a pay
    DECREASE and no new contract. EEEEEEK.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2010

We went two years once.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 17, 2010

Five, really, really long years!! It was terrible!!

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 17, 2010

Five years!?!?! Was there some really awesome compensation at the end of it?!?!

7. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 17, 2010

uummmmm . . . NO :D We got to keep language we felt was really important, our insurance package and settled on three years back pay when we finally settled. Settling for the three years was hard because teachers that had retired more than three years got NOTHING.

8. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 17, 2010

oh wow! How exactly does that work when you don't have a contract?! Is it dangerous to be working without one on a teacher's side or is it worse for the district when you don't have a contract?

I have never worked without a contract and wouldn't dream of doing so in a state that doesn't have a universal union. It would make me nervous.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 18, 2010

Likely, if there isn't a union, contract negotiations wouldn't go on so long.

I've never experienced it myself, but a school very close to me taught for a year without a contract. I think they finally settled in April, for the previous year taught.

I would think it would be scary. How is your union? If you feel they are strong enough to come out with a decent contract, I probably wouldn't worry as much.

10. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

Teachers can negotiate contracts without a union??? Our contracts are so vague that we don't have specific times when we must be at school and when we can leave (it's all verbal). Also, on my contract it just says 184 days but no specific dates ha ha I think I could push the issue if I had a good lawyer!

11. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

If a new contract is not reached, the old stays in effect. We are in this situation right now.

12. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2010

Right - the old contract stays in affect until the new is approved. The nice part for us was that after it went on for 6 months, we got a NICE chunk of back pay.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 18, 2010

Same here - so for five years we were under the old contract referred to as status quo contract. Our contracts are very specific as to length of the contracted school day, minutes of prep time per week, transfer between teaching position, etc . . . Our issue with the five years thing was language regarding transfers, and insurance.

14. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

Well, that's good on your part. Even nicer if you receive the difference once your new contract begins after negotiations.

Good information to know as my next move WILL be in a union state :)

15. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Sep 18, 2010

Our school has a lot of money right now and we're trying to get some things fixed in our contract. The board is understandable worried about "what if the money isn't there in the future" so they keep coming back with a 2% raise. As anyone ever worked with suggestions for the board on other ways they could give us some of the money without putting it into our steps portion of the contract???
    We asked if they could give us bonuses, they rejected it. We asked if they could give us higher classroom allowances, they rejected it. We asked if we could have more PTO, nope. Retirement package work, no. If we don't sign a contract soon, our MEA rep will start attending our negotiations.

16. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Sep 18, 2010

where I work the district won't even begin to negotiate with the union until 3 months after the contract has expired. This is the district not the union doing this.

17. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 19, 2010

The district I work for has not had a contract for what is turning into three years. The district imposed a contract on us last year but the teachers did not agree to it so it is not an agreed upon contract.

18. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Sep 19, 2010

We went 18 months without one last time. We are currently in negotiations again, and I'm sure it will be just as long.