No closet, coat area...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mable, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2006

Any ideas for creating a space in the classroomfor student backpacks, coats, lunchboxes? I could get tubs- been there- hated that.....Have you had to install something, buy something? What have you done?:)

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 21, 2006

No idea, other than a series of hooks somewhere?

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2006

What types of systems or coat areas are out there in classrooms?

5. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 21, 2006

I just use backpack hooks and need to get a basket for lunchboxes, but another teacher at my school used those wire cubes for students to put their belongings in.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 21, 2006

We have lockers. I remember back when I was in the first grade we had a huge room. About three foot out from the back wall was a long row of bookcases. The book cases faced the room and on the back of the bookcases were big hooks. They stuck out about four inches and were pretty heavy. The book cases were about four foot tall. If you have to pay for them it would be expensive.

What do the other teachers do?

I find this post interesting. In Kansas and Nebraska we have all four seasons. Snow in the winter. Heavy coats, stocking caps, gloves and overshoes. Spring and fall we run AC.

7. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Jun 21, 2006

You can also use plastic crates. You can attach them together with cable ties if you want them to stack up or stay together. If you have a local dairy, they might be able to donate some or you can buy them at Wal-Mart. We have wooden cubbies that take up a huge amount of space in our rooms, but I would hate to not have anything at all. I hope you will find something that will work for you.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 21, 2006

I have seen wire crates that come w/ connectors (do you have kmart?) Maybe walmart?

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 21, 2006

I put a 1X12 in the hall and staggered double hooks on it. They put hackets and backpacks on them. I love it.

10. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jun 21, 2006

My first year I used a big rubbermaid container. Students only bring jackets for a few weeks (if that) in South Texas, so this was fine for storing jackets. BUT then I wised up and realized all those jackets and hats piled up together was a breeding ground for lice so I didn't do that the next year.

The next year, I was lucky to have a shelf with hooks. It was actually a shelf that laid on its side and had hooks installed. I rescued it from the vacant junk room at our school. It was pretty solid and heavy, so sturdy enough to hang jackets and backpacks.

In my next school, I didn't have anything and found the one or two students who brought a jacket were happy just leaving it at the back of the room on our library bench or back table. it was only between 1 and 3 jackets daily and only for a few weeks of winter.

11. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Jun 21, 2006

The daycare at my school uses a round laundry basket for each student. They are stackable when not in use and they hold everything the child has.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 22, 2006

My biggest concern with piling everything into bins, etc was germs and lice. It's worked well with my kids keeping their stuff in the hall (no room for it in the room). I know that some of our younger grade teachers have cubbies in the hall. They are wood and each child has a rectangular section about 3 feet high.

13. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jun 22, 2006

My daughter's school had each parent send in a pillow case, which was sewn by parent volunteers folded halfway down. It made a pocket that went over the back of the chairs where her coat and junk was stored.
    I didn't have any storage, so I had my students put their coats in their backpacks and hang them neatly on the backs of their chairs. Of course, that meant a rule of no rolling backpacks since they don't always have straps to hang. It worked for me in my little trailer.

14. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2006

Great ideas. Thanks! I may ask if I can get some hooks installed on the wall. Seems like the best idea.

15. Sparks

Sparks New Member

Jun 23, 2006

There are the plastic hangers with the removable sticky stuff on the back. They have all different shapes and sizes of these. I buy mine at Wal-Mart in the tool and stuff area. I have found they hold quite a lot and I like that they are not permanent.

16. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jun 24, 2006

I was in a school once that put hooks out in the hall to hang backpacks and jackets but then after all the work, the fire marshall came and said the hooks were a hazard and had to be removed. Talk about ugly holes.:(

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 24, 2006

Our fire marshall keeps commenting on ours, but so far, we are able to keep them.:crosseyed I don't see the problem. To me they are more of a hazard in the room where the kids could trip over them trying to get out. Not to mention the fact that it was really really expensive (a 25 foot 1 X 12 and 25 $3 hooks).

18. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

I saw a wire 3-shelf unit that could hold 6 backpacks- am tossing around this idea. Will need 4 or 5.

I could also use those plastic crates and hook them together to make one unit. That way, when one student pulls his/her backpack out, it won't knock the one above over (just the whole unit:eek: :p ). Hmmm

19. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Do you have a lot of space in your classroom? In my classroom, the plastic crates would take up waaayy too much room. We have cubbies that are on the wall, with hooks under them. Each child has a hook, and everything they have goes on the hook - jacket, backpack, etc. The gloves and hats go in their backpack during the day, and they come out when they leave.

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

I have a corner that I've set aside for some type of backpack/coat area. There is about a 3, 3 X 3 wall areas. I am hoping for the best.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2006

I like the hook idea if you can do it. The PreK teacher next door to me had them installed in her classroom and they work out great. They are permanent and are not bulky like crates and other things could become.

22. Rfish1

Rfish1 New Member

May 24, 2016

What kind of hooks did you use?