No Classroom, wi fi, phone lines, and very limited resources

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Celesty's Mom, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Nov 21, 2015

I have been teaching in the upper grades at this particular school for 10 years. The school is growing so rooms are limited. I currently have 24 students. Our room was suppose to be completed over the summer but we're still waiting. The new deadline is Christmas supposedly.

Until then we are borrowing the after school classroom. Where I am not allowed to put up or leave anything behind. They have given us a small closet where I have student journals, work, teacher guides, 12 science books, 12 language are books and some office supplies. I have to put away everything I use every afternoon. The rest of our stuff is in storage.

The classroom has no phone, wifi, and even my cell phone has no service. My only way to ask for help is through a walkie talkie. I have no access to the classroom till 7:30 am because I have no key. Even though class lets out at 3:05. We have to leave the class at 2:40 so the after school instructors can get ready.

Our administrator will never argue for us with the board. He just does what is told. I feel like I have no support.

I am suppose to teach with what I have in my closet. I feel like they're tying my hands and asking me to teach. I do not know what to do. I think it's time to look for another job. Should I leave now or till the end of the year?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 21, 2015

I think you can suck it up for the school year. There are many teachers who work under similar or worse conditions.:(

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2015

I certainly wouldn't leave mid-year over this situation. I've known many who have had to work in worse conditions due to circumstances beyond the school's control such as fire, flood, sudden increase in student population, etc.

Exactly what do you want the administrator to fight for? A key? To not allow the after-school to get prepared for all of the kids that come for the program?

Mrs. K. likes this.
  5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2015

I agree that if your classroom is going to be ready by Christmas, it's probably best to just wait...Not always easy, but at least you know your room will soon be ready.

6. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 21, 2015

Let me say first off - this situation sucks and you have every right not to be happy with it and to feel very stressed out by a circumstance that makes you feel like you are being kept from being the best teacher you can be and not serving the needs of your students to the best of your ability. That right there is a reason why many teachers leave schools and/or the profession.

If it were me and the room wasn't ready by Christmas I'd start looking for next year but I wouldn't leave mid-year since that could have disastrous consequences for future job opportunities or even your credential depending on where you teach. Ive seen teachers go through this (being moved to a new portable then right before school started it failed to pass code so they were basically shoved in a shared space that dictated lessons, impacted supplies, was tiny and crappy to begging with, they couldn't leave anything out, they couldn't conference in there room since it was in use etc) and it was hard but things got better at Christmas when there class was ready and a couple years later he looked back on it and laughed.

So what the heck does your class do when you get booted before school is over? That's what I would try to negotiate for now would be not getting kicked out of my room during the schools day. What are they going to do when it's raining?

Btw I worked after school care before and they do not need 25 minutes to set up. We did our program in a classroom all the time (we never had our own room) and it was the opposite of your situation. We couldn't set things up, had very very little storage since the teacher needed it, couldnt leave anything out, or put anything up etc. I got no more than 10 minutes and often less to set up. 25 minutes is ridiculous. At my school classrooms came first and after school care had to work it out. How weird that your school doesn't put your class as a higher priority above after school care.

otterpop likes this.
  7. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2015

As we know, things are very different at different schools. Just because your program didn't need 25 minutes does not mean that this program is the same. It may be, but it may not.

Our county runs our before and after school program, not our school district. It is held in the school, but the space is allocated for use by the county during certain timeframes. Our school is not allowed to use the before/after room for even the situation the OP is describing.

Sometimes we don't always know the reason behind the way things are done. There may be reasons that the OP doesn't know about which makes it seem like the administrator won't fight for the teacher.

8. OwlTeach

OwlTeach Rookie

Nov 21, 2015

I had to borrow another classroom for most of the year last year. My situation seems nearly identical to yours. I spent the whole year fussing, and this year it looks like I'm going to be in the same situation because my building's heater is broken. You certainly should finish the year, but I am going to look for a new school for next year.

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Nov 21, 2015

This is how I teach my GED classes. Focus on your content and use what you do have.

We don't have access to computers or Internet, but I can "borrow" their projector by hooking up my iPad. I'm sure they would be annoyed if they knew, but I use what I have.

10. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Nov 21, 2015

My first year teaching, I was housed in a space that was the textbook & supply closet for over a decade. I sucked it up and made it work.