no class list so nothing done

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 11, 2009

I don't have a grade, room, or class list. All I know is the name of the school I am teaching at. I was told 4th grade, but then they switched principals. How do I plan without knowing what grade I'll be teaching?

2. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 11, 2009

We never get our schedules or lists early. We'll get them 1-2 days before school begins.

3. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 11, 2009

Same here.

4. Securis

Securis Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

We're started and I have to make my own class rosters. I see 1st through 6th and I see different students most every day with some coming twice a week. I'll probably get my rosters finished over the weekend so that next week everything can be changed and I'll have to start over.

Good Luck, I know how tough it can be.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 11, 2009

Same here. We did get tentative lists at the end of June, but most teachers can anticipate some major changes to those.

6. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 11, 2009

I will get mine tomorrow...so that's 13 days before school starts. But my list will probably change...several on the roster usually move and just as many (if not more) come in their place with in the last few days.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2009

We have to help put together our class lists at the end of each school year so we already know who we have, give or take one or two kids transferring in or out. I was lucky enough that my last class eagerly helped me label mailboxes and library pockets for this new class. I hate labeling those more than anything!

8. iamlynn98

iamlynn98 Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

We didn't get our class lists until about 7:45 am the day school started.

9. Zorrissa

Zorrissa Rookie

Aug 11, 2009

Wow, I can't believe some of you get class lists up to two weeks before school starts.

We don't get our lists until 1 or 2 days before school starts.

10. natelukesmom

natelukesmom Companion

Aug 12, 2009

That's no big deal - last year our school was going through rennovations and we didn't get into our rooms until THE DAY BEFORE school started!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can imagine my panic. But it all ended up ok, and parents understood why nothing was up on the walls yet. It was hectic for the first few months always trying to "catch up" and "organize" stuff during the year, but it wasn't the end of the world like I thought it was going to be. Somehow I learned to adjust. I hope that doesn't happen to you and you get your list soon! So far this year, I still don't have my list and school starts next week. I'm sure I'll get the list soon.

11. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2009

I'm really lucky--one of the benefits of being in a small school is that with only one class per grade, I pretty much know my class list when school gets out. We'll only have a handful of changes throughout the school.

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 12, 2009

I get mine the day of open house. They've notified the parents at that point so it seems ridiculous that I can't have mine at least the same day they mail the letter home to parents. We also only get into our rooms five days before school starts (workshop week), no sooner, never mind the meetings we have that week.

13. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Aug 12, 2009

Last year we got our lists 10 minutes before Meet Your Teacher started. This year we'll be getting ours the same day as Meet Your Teacher, but hopefully not cut it so close! I hate that, I wish I had time to personalize the room so my students have a chance to look around and see where they'll be sitting, etc.

I'm crossing my fingers that the administration doesn't juggle the class lists too much. The 2nd grade teachers placed the kids really carefully, and last I heard I'll be getting sibling of 2 really great former students. :)

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

This year, I have a class list... but last year, I didn't have it until perhaps the week before school or so. I was fine with the room setup, not necessarily knowing who was coming in until then.

15. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 12, 2009

I'd be freaking out... big-time. :( I'd want to know how many students I had before Meet the Teacher/Open House.

What was funny last year, though, is that I got a new student DURING that time. She was in another class, and the teacher moved her to Advanced. I was fine knowing who all the others were beforehand, though. I also remember hearing that one of my students refused to see me because he thought he was transferring to the gifted school in a week- he was wrong; he stayed the entire year and enjoyed Jasztalville. :lol: