no class list so nothing done

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by cheer, Aug 10, 2009.

1. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 14, 2009

I don't get the class list until Friday night before school starts. As far as labeling everything, I number it. Then I don't have to relabel everything from year to year. It has cut down my costs on the "cutesy" stuff. Then I wait until the second week of school and everyone has a number.
    I put cheap printable name tents on their desks that I make in Word, and wait until my roster is settled the second week to put out the nice name tags that I bought.
    I agree with Alice that our job is to teach. All of the decorations and labeling are not what makes our kids learn. It makes our rooms more inviting.

2. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2009

sorry, I forgot to include the quote so you would know what I was referring to :rolleyes:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2009

OK, I apologize for the term.

But you know what I meant. The lack of a class list or a room doesn't mean there's no prep to be done.

As you said, "the curriculum is, of course, important."

And an awful lot of kids this year are going to be educated in schools facing severe budget cuts, where those enviornments are going to be a whole lot more sparce than in years past.

4. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

I have my list (school starts in 10 days), but there is a rumor that one of my students may be moving. I've done a lot with the list, but nothing that's difficult to alter quickly if she leaves.

5. cheer

cheer Comrade

Aug 15, 2009

I have to say when I posted this I didnt think it would create such a buzz of controversy. LOL I think the numbering of things would really make it easy but it also makes me feel like each child is a number. Weird I know.
    I did finally get my list after my mapping and planning were done. So dont worry everyone the students will learn as they are sitting in a warm and inviting atmosphere!! Have a great year and happy teaching :)