no chance of being hired in lausd?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by modgirl, Jan 12, 2009.

1. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

i'm subbing right now and i was hoping on getting a job for next year. this is until i read that lausd might lay off about 3,000 teachers. i hold a preliminary credential and i dont want this to expire but if they are laying of teachers, i feel as a sub i have no chance of getting a job.

am i to look for a new career? i'm not sure what to do. is anyone else concerned?

3. study girl

study girl Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

Hi Modgirl, I totally understand!
    I after a few months of subbing (which I hated) have accepted a full time job outside of teaching. I will apply for the coming school year when hiring starts again but don't have much hope. I have a feeling this year will be just as bad if not worse than last year for us newbie teachers.
    As for your personal situation, do you enjoy subbing? Maybe you could keep your options open and apply for other jobs for now, depends on how you feel about subbing and whether you think it will open up doors for you.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 12, 2009

Modgirl, when I finished school, I was also very nervous about my preliminary expiring by the time I finally got hired. You have five years before it expires, right? Well, I know that you can, if it comes down to it, apply for an extension. I wouldn't give up too much hope. Anything can happen! A teacher may decide to stay at home with her baby (which is how I got this job, too bad it's on a temp contract), a teacher may decide to retire, new teachers may decide that this field isn't for them, well, anything can happen. Heck, I got two jobs AFTER the school year started! I got them because I didn't give up and kept in contact with HR.

5. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

thanks for the encouragement peachyness.

do you file an extension through the california commission for teachers?

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2009

I think so. I think you can get more info on that main website. It's been a couple of years so I don't quite remember, but I would look on that website. But, like I said, don't worry too much until you really have to.