No calls : (

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mommyserenity, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 5, 2013

After being told I'd be called today, due to the very tight timeline they were on, I can only assume I did not get the K job. :( I've literally stayed by the phone all day hoping I'd be the one to get the call, but I guess one of the other two candidates did a better job. After feeling so good about my chances, I'm really sad. They said they'd have to make an offer today so the new person could come in Monday to sign a contract and to pick up curriculum to be ready to greet parents at the July 20 open house. I'm just bummed I spent lots of time and money for a demo lesson for nothing.....again!! I guess one day I'll learn. :mad::(

3. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jul 5, 2013

I'm sorry to hear that. I know the feeling well, of waiting by the phone like the unpopular kid on prom night.

I was told "we'll be in touch by the end of the week". . . last week. They had seemed pretty enthused too.

Is it really so hard to fire off a quick rejection email?

4. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 5, 2013

Seriously?! They know I took my time to come in and do a full lesson. They have to know I spent time prepping from all the stuff I did with the kids. Guess they don't give a flying flip since it wasn't their money, they I didn't have extra to spend, or time that was wasted. Two seconds...two little seconds is all it takes to email and say "We have chosen to pursue another candidate." , but I guess I didn't even deserve that much less a phone call.

5. My3kloves

My3kloves Rookie

Jul 5, 2013

Maybe they took the week off for the 4th of July and you will hear something Monday??

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 5, 2013

The day is not over yet!

7. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jul 5, 2013

Many school administrative offices (including my district) are closed this week---good point!!!!

Hope it all works out for you, if not this job than the next :)

(((((HUGS)))))

8. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 5, 2013

My3lovesI know for a fact the school ran summer camp today because we passed by when running errands plus the headmaster told me sessions would be running as usual today. I also know the person had to be called today because the headmaster was going on vacation beginning Monday and won't be back until the 15th with open Ouse in the 20th. She had to have the new hire come by Monday to see her asst. to sign papers etc....

Katrinkakat sadly, it is here. The school closed an hour ago and the headmaster was leaving on vacation first thing in the morning. I'm sure the person who did get the job got the call. I just got the shaft.

9. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 5, 2013

I hope something else works out for you.

10. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 5, 2013

I've come to the very bleak reality that hiring season for me is pretty much done. I was supposed to go to another interview on Tuesday, but after looking closely at some info a friend passed on (who was there and left) I canceled. Lets just say it was a very misleading school...not at all way they claim to be in many ways. It was over an hour drive for me anyway and that would have never worked with me trying to get my girls to/from school anyway. I was simply grasping at straws. Congrats to all of you who did get jobs. It just wasn't in the cards for me again this year. I truly just give up. I'm too old to continue to be made a fool of year after year.

11. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Jul 5, 2013

I know how hard this process is. Believe me, I know! But I think that we all have to remain positive and believe that we will get hired at some point in our lives.

I think that there are so many of us looking for work right now that we can be treated as thoughtlessly as they want and there really won't be any repercussions for the principals, districts. For every teacher who is left hanging in the wind, there are 20 more that are willing to be treated rudely or dismissively if there is even the chance for a job.

So we need to keep our chins up and just keep on trying.
    Sheilah

12. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Jul 5, 2013

Sorry you didn't get a call. :(
    I hope something works out for you soon. Try not to let it get to you too bad. I wasted too much time being miserable this year, so I definitely understand your frustration. Something will work out eventually!

13. kab164

kab164 Companion

Jul 6, 2013

It is hard and discouraging but not the end of hope. Took me four years to get a teaching job, I had decided to stop taking classes due to the cost (I had started on an LD endorsement). The best part was when a bunch of people retired due to a retirement incentive, I was hired by the school that was my first choice. I now have a job I love in an amazing district, but it was a long time coming!

14. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2013

I'm sorry you haven't received any calls. Do you have a Plan B?

15. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Jul 6, 2013

I'm sorry :( I have only been out of school for nearly 2 years now myself but I feel your frustration. I don't want to keep wasting my time either trying to find a job..especially years. I am happy that there have been people who have gotten positions that truly deserve them. It makes me a bit mad though when there are also people (a handful from my graduating class) that have gotten jobs either handed to them with little to no interview..or ones that aren't very bright. We shouldn't give up just yet though Mommyserenity. Even though this process is a pain in the you know what.

16. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

Don't lose hope yet! I'm sure there will be more positions open closer to the beginning of the school year, and even after, probably up to a month.

17. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 6, 2013

I'm so sorry that you haven't received a call yet.

If you don't have a job at the beginning of the school year, have you considered volunteering at a school or two close to your home? A teacher that I work with, got hired by my principal after volunteering for 3 weeks. You just never know when someone is going to leave or if they will be opening up a new classroom.

18. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 8, 2013

Hang in there. I do know how you feel. I think it hurts no matter how old you are or how much experience you have, but I think I know how you feel when you say you're too old to be made a fool of anymore. I know exactly what you mean. We don't have all the time in the world here. It's humiliating to be back in the job market, sometimes being interviewed by people young enough to be your son or daughter, or at least young enough to have babysat for! Yep, it's happened to me.

But....it's not just in teaching. It's in all professions right now. And people of all ages are feeling the pain of rejection.

I would say keep looking but make the most of the time you have, regardless. I have subbed, volunteered, tutored, and supervised student teachers at the local college. I'm sure you're doing similar things. Of course, if you need full time work it's a little harder. But maybe you can find something in education? And take some workshops or something on the side to add to the résumé?

Remember, it's not you. It's really not!!!!!!! This market is hellacious. I've never had trouble landing any kind of job before. The market is just very unforgiving right now.

19. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 8, 2013

I have already been working as a full time sub for our local district. I worked pretty much ever single day last year and was highly recommended. I even did several back to back LTS jobs all in one school because I was so well liked. However, no one in ECE was hired period county wide. Teachers were let go actually due to budget cuts for the third year in a row. So, sadly that won't get me anywhere plus I can't keep up my continuing ed credits (can't afford it) and so my license will expire in less than a year unless I land something fast.

Pi-R-Squared No, the job interviews as of late WERE plan b.

So I got the official "Sorry, we hired someone who already worked for our school" call today. I emailed the lady this morning as a follow up and finally she called. At the point when she told me they went ahead and hired someone within the school so they wouldn't have to train anyone I just got mad. :mad: So why did you waste one one day of my time, but two AND have me waste money to prepare a lesson when clearly you knew all along you'd prob hire someone who wasn't new to your school? She said she figured when I didn't hear from her Friday...so I stopped her. Yes, I stopped her and I don't care if I burned a bridge with this small school. I told her well she had told me that she would call no matter what on Friday and that I waited all day to find out yes or no. She sounded surprised...as if it never occurred to her that I might have waited by the flippin phone all day to know something. :dizzy:Whatever! Just rude!

20. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 8, 2013

Have you considered looking at Head Start? I worked at one for four years before I moved onto Special Education. It did count as years of experience too. :)

21. RedStripey

RedStripey Comrade

Jul 8, 2013

It's very annoying when you do an interview and demo lesson somewhere and they don't call you when they say they will. I'm in the same situation right now but I know I didn't get the job because a. the principal basically told me without actually saying to me that she wasn't going to give me the job (though she said she liked me/my demo O_O...) and b. i would've heard by now ;/ oh well.

I don't know how some of you have been doing this for years because it's very frustrating and I really wish I went to school for something else. But you can't change time.

ETA: I just saw your update that they finally called you. Sorry that it turned out to be a rejection :( I hate how schools waste your time and put you through that process when they had someone else in mind all along.

22. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jul 8, 2013

I've applied to many Headstart and Ga PreK jobs, but apparently my M.Ed hurts me since none of those really want to have to pay me for my education or experience since pay is based on that. They do get some funding from the state, but the program has to come up with the difference in salary so they prefer someone right out of school.