No calls this week. Paranoid!

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by hbcaligirl1985, Jan 28, 2013.

1. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 28, 2013

Ever since I purchased SubAssistant I get calls almost every day--at the very least I get at least 1-2 days of work each week. However, so far for this next week I don't have anything lined up. The only thing I can think of is maybe because it's finals week. Do you normally have subs during finals week? Or as a teacher do you make it top priority to be there at all costs?

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

When I first began subbing, I wondered if I had been "black balled" by some of the schools because I got LOTS of calls before Christmas break, but almost NONE during the month of January or the beginning of February. I realized the next year (when I was still subbing) that - for whatever reason - the first 4-6 weeks after Christmas break are the slowest time of the year for getting sub calls. Maybe the teachers are trying to get the kiddos back in "school mode" after the break or maybe there just aren't many workshops during that time. Whatever the reason, I always expect January and early February to be very slow.

I've actually been surprised by the number of calls I've received in the last two weeks to sub, but I don't expect it to continue.

That's just been my experience, though. It may be different for others in larger districts.

4. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 28, 2013

That makes a lot of sense, Cerek :) I've actually gotten around mmm 9 calls since xmas break. It's funny--I keep saying I need a day or two with no calls so I can get some house work done, but then I don't get the calls and I'm just all ARGH WHY?!

5. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 28, 2013

LOL....I know that feeling.

It has just been my personal observation that January and the first half of February are generally VERY slow regarding sub calls. Don't know why because it is also usually the longest period of the school year without many holidays or other scheduled days off. After MLK day, there usually isn't anything scheduled until Spring Break or Easter. Seems like teachers would WANT a day off in that long of a stretch. But I think most teachers view January almost the same as August - it's the "start" and "second start" of the school year. They get a decent rest over Winter Break and come back ready to get themselves and the students (especially) back to work.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jan 28, 2013

I used to get paranoid when I didn't get called much, too!
    No advice, just sympathy.

7. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

I have not been getting calls for the second week too. I, too, think that I've got banned. I have 5 schools in list, maybe that's not enough? I have all elementary regular and special need. How many do you have?

8. StellatheSub

StellatheSub Rookie

Jan 29, 2013

It's been a little slow around here too. Luckily, I work a second job, so I'm not overly concerned. I can pick up at that job as much as I want.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 29, 2013

This is why it's great to also sub for year round schools, such as court, community or continution schools. Those schools are open year round with very little break (often no spring break, open throughout the summer) but the teachers still only work 190-225 days, which means they have to take off several weeks. They usually take the time off throughout the year, not only in the summer. So January is just as good of a month as others.

But also I haven't noticved a drop in calls form the other district. (K-8). Even though it's January, I see the jobs on Subfinder (a LOT of them) every day, and get a lot of calls almost every day. Today they called me about 8 times (forgot to put in a do-not-call day for today since I'm already working).
    So I think this could be regional.

If you want to sub for court / community schools (and don't mind the environment) check out your county of education website to see if they're hiring, they're the ones in every county that handle those schools. I guarantee you'll work every day.

10. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 29, 2013

Linguist, what school district in So.Cal are you subbing for in order to get all those calls?

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 29, 2013

Well, one is just a regular K-8 district (I don't want to name it here, but it's just a typical district), and the other one is JCCS (there is one JCCS district in every county, under the County Office of Education)

12. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 29, 2013

Yes, it is hard when you put all your eggs in one basket (i.e. one district). I work in two, and it works out because in one district, they have furlough days. In the other district, I'm usually able to fill in those days with the other district. Actually, I'm going to check on Spring Break... I hope they don't run on the same week!*

*Yeah baby! Different weeks ;)

13. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 29, 2013

I tried to get in two districts, but that didn't quite work out, but hopefully that point is moot and I'll get a full time teaching job soon.

14. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Jan 30, 2013

Does not work for me at all, no calls, no messages.

15. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

Do you have your alerts on? How many districts are you in and how man schools does your district have. It could simply be that you're new.

On a positive note everyone, I just got a LTS assignment that the students in that class were petitioning for me to get. The teacher is moving away so it COULD turn permanent. :woot:

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

Great news, hb!

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

So glad your subbing drought has turned into an LTS rainfall! What's the grade / subject?

18. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

English. Grades 7, 8 and 10 :)

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

(beaming on hb's behalf)

20. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

Thanks guys! Send me good vibes so this LTS position can go to the end of the year and POSSIBLY get me hired there full time.

I'm a little nervous, I don't know what to expect. I dunno what books these kids are going to start reading or how to even express my interest to the principals in staying with these kids the rest of the year. It wouldn't be fair to them--they are losing their teacher, gaining me--putting their trust and faith into me only to have someone else replace me.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

Grades 7, 8, and 10 is quite a spread: is this one school?

22. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

Yes. It's a Middle/High School combo in a very wealthy area of So.Cal.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

I'm guessing from your mention of the petition that you've subbed with this lot. Pretend for a moment that you're the teacher for whom the LTS is needed: based on what you know of them and of the community (both school community and outside), what would you want a really good LTS knowing and doing with them?

When does the LTS start? Will you have a chance to coordinate with the teacher who's leaving before you take up the reins?

24. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

I am HOPING I have a chance to meet with the LTS. The job starts Monday. I had 2 jobs lined up for later in the month so I canceled them. The subbing desk hasn't put my name in yet, so I'm nervous. I told the subbing desk I will come and meet with them at any time this week. Should I be worried that the LTS assignment isn't in yet?

Anyway, to answer your question, if I was the teacher leaving, I would want the person taking over to know:

1. The needs of all my students.
    2. Classroom management.
    3. How to create a fun yet effective learning environment.

25. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 30, 2013

:thumb:

I hope it works out for you!

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

Hugs on the uncertainty; you're within your rights to want to doublecheck, and this might be a good question to run by the office (or whoever is in charge of lining up LTSs). Is this a last-minute LTS? The kids are likely to feel pretty adrift.

You've given me good general answers. Based on your knowledge of the school and the kids, think about (but don't necessarily post here, if it will compromise anyone) how much more specific you could get: think in terms of what conditions are like THERE as opposed to elsewhere.

27. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

Yes. It's last minute. Her husband got a job elsewhere and they only just found out last week.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

Have you subbed for this teacher before? Interacted with her at all?

29. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

I've subbed for her twice. In fact, she came up to the sub desk to rave about what a wonderful sub I was and all her kids had the nicest things to say about me. I've never actually MET her though. With the exception of once last year. She was sharing a room with a teacher I was subbing for and it was my prep period while she was heavily pregnant--so I went to go an get her some tea from Starbucks.

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

Do you know how to get in touch with her?

31. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 30, 2013

I have her email, but I definitely don't want to bother her considering tomorrow is her LAST day with the students. Friday is a non-student day, but a work day for the teachers. I have emailed the lady at the subbing desk at the district office who offered the job to me asking me how to proceed if I DON'T hear from her (ie: assume I have/do not have the job). I'm sure right now she's busy with finals and putting in the last grades for the semester. I certainly don't want to be pushy.

Either way, I'm excited if I _DO_ have the job and excited for the chance to prove myself to possibly have it last the rest of the year and on the other side of the coin, if I don't get it--I'm delighted that I haven't even been subbing a full year yet and have been considered and in the running for TWO LTS assignments this year alone. It shows I'm making a name for myself and that I _WILL_ make a good teacher when the time for my own classroom does indeed come.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2013

What I've always adored about email is that it waits. Send the teacher something brief, to the effect that you think you're getting the job and you'd love to meet with her about it. Keep it short, and make sure it has a title that reflects the contents: "I'm your LTS, I hope: can we meet?" or something of the like.

33. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 31, 2013

I made contact. Hopefully I hear back from her and/or the sub lady soon. School has only been in session for 2 hrs. Trying NOT to be paranoid.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 31, 2013

Hugs, hb. If you're not working, can you please go take a walk or something?

35. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Jan 31, 2013

She just called me. We are going to make plans over the weekend. She's hooking me up with some teachers to help me out for each grade level as well. :)

ETA: The other 10th grade teachers called to invite me to their meeting tomorrow to go over the novels for the 3rd quarter. I'm going to go, but I'm admittedly nervous.

36. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 1, 2013

Well I met with a few of the staff members today. So far I'm only there for two weeks from 2/4-2/15. I am wondering if this is at all a trial and I might be observed etc to see how I handle teaching three different English classes. I am hoping I made a good impression with the few of the teachers I met today, I was very nervous and didn't know what to expect. Two were super friendly and the other one was more serious (as co-department chair I'm not surprised), but all were welcoming and willing to share all their materials with me.

In any case--I have absolutely no idea what they intend to do after the two weeks are up. The teacher I'm taking over for thinks it's silly to possibly change the students again after two weeks so who knows.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 1, 2013

Sounds very promising, hb! Sounds like this is your job to win.

38. hbcaligirl1985

hbcaligirl1985 Cohort

Feb 1, 2013

Thank you TG :)