no calendar?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jennyd, Sep 15, 2008.

1. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Sep 15, 2008

my principal doesn't think calendar work is academic enough for first grade. anybody else not do calendar? just seems wrong to me. :confused:

3. swtteacher

swtteacher Rookie

Sep 15, 2008

Well, in NC it is part of our quarterly and summative assessments, so YES it is very important! Check and see if it is in your standard course of study for your state. Even if it is not, it still is very important. Looking at the calendar helps practice counting, for one thing!!

4. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Sep 15, 2008

Yes! Calendar can cover many standards! Especially in math!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 16, 2008

Oh my goodness, your princ is uninformed. We do calendar daily in 5th grade and cover fractions, decimals, percentages, factors, prime numbers, geometry ..... on and on.

6. cosmoteach

cosmoteach Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

I think that calender can cover a ton of standards. Counting, skip counting, patterns, weather/science, place value....the list can go on and on. We are encouraged to do calender. I can't believe a principal would not want teachers to do it! Will you get in trouble for doing calendar with your class? I hope not!

7. teacherforlife

teacherforlife Rookie

Sep 16, 2008

no calendar

Oh my goodness. Your principal is way off. My calendar time includes not only discussing the date but also the weather which includes a graph, money(we feed the piggybank a penny each day of the month), tally marks(counting by 5's and 10's), months, reading, place value(we add a straw for each day of school in my place value pocket chart). You need to show him these forum responses. Hee Hee

8. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Sep 17, 2008

Well to add to the list of uses, what about the basic knowledge of the months of the year and days of the week? I also work on reading a clock, addition and subtraction skills, patterns, and graphing, as well as the list teacherforlife has.

9. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Sep 22, 2008

What???

Oh, Goodness. (Are you at one of these schools that also doesn't give recess because its not academic enough??)
    Write an etire list of standards that calendar time covers and hand them in, and explain to him that if your students don't learn these skills in an everyday context now, he'll be hearing about it from the teachers in upper grades for years to come!!

Heres a start:

months of the year
    days of the week
    basic number sense
    before/after
    making predictions
    number reversals (13 vs. 31)
    writing the date
    number patterns
    graphing (if you do weather)

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Sep 22, 2008

Calendar is part of our math curriculum (Everyday Math). Ugh! It can be so beneficial!!!