No Baby, No Definite Answers, but lots of bedrest.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 26, 2011

I just wanted to update you ladies about our Liam.

Yesterday they performed a fetal maturity amniocentisis to check Liam's lung maturity. If it came back showing mature lungs, he was going to be born today or Thursday morning via c-section. This morning at 6 AM the results came back and Liam failed by only 2 points! I asked if we could just round up!! He's in big trouble with me for already being an underacheiver... haha, kidding of course. Also, supposedly baby boy lungs mature more slowly than girls lungs! I knew there was always some truth to that boys mature at a slower rate than we girls do!! ;);)

My OB came by around 11 to tell me that they're sending the amniotic fluid to another lab for more advanced testing that will take approximately 48 hours. If he passes THAT test that he will be born on Saturday the 29th. If he still shows immaturity he will be born on Tuesday, February 1st - at that point I will be 37 weeks and 1 day pregnant.

Regardless, my OB is not sending me home. Bedrest with only restroom and possible shower privleges is a bit overwhelming. You know how routine/schedule oriented we teachers can be and it's difficult not know when things will happen, other than my mealtimes! I even asked to go for walks outside. But they said no I would need to be pushed in a wheelchair.

Well... all for now. All will be worth it for my beautiful son. Thanks for reading.

Katey

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 26, 2011

Relax and enjoy these last few hours (or days)! All will be well soon!

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jan 26, 2011

In the NICU, they call boys like my sons "Wimpy White Boys". Boys mature slower than girls, and white babies of either gender mature more slowly than black babies. So, in essence, if you're going to be a preemie, you really want to be a black girl!

I'm glad things are going well for you and Liam. Keep us posted, you are in my prayers.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

Every single day he waits means his lungs get stronger.

He can't win any Olympic gold medals without decent lung capacity.

So hang tight!

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jan 26, 2011

Glad you chimed in. Several threads were asking about you! Keep resting!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 26, 2011

Yes, enjoy this time of rest, bottle some of it. I was on bedrest for several months, and hated it. Having a healthy baby is worth every minute of it. Follow the doctor orders and keep calm. Are you having a C-section, and if so, will you be awake?

8. K1teach

K1teach Companion

Jan 26, 2011

Growing inside you is the healthiest place for Liam right now. Even if it is hard to sit still! Good luck! We will be thinking of you and praying for you!

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

Thanks for the update, Starista; you know that we are all thinking about you, your husband and your soon-to-be-here wee one. He'll be here, in your arms, before you know it (although the wait can seem endless) and soon you'll wonder how you could have ever lived without him!

10. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jan 27, 2011

Thanks for the update. Keep resting and let those lungs grow, grow, grow!

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

Star, when my niece was about to give birth to a premature baby, she was given a super-duper lung developing steroid shot of something.

Of course, she was VERY premature. But have they given you that, or is it for babies that are way behind Liam in development?

12. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jan 27, 2011

Continue to take care of little Liam and yourself :) continue to pray for both of you

13. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2011

Star, I was getting ready to reference the same steroid shot that Alice mentioned. My 13 yr old was born at 32 weeks. I had the amnio done, but had to wait the 48 hours for the results, my dr. gave me the steroid shot while we waited for the results. She ended up being born that day, so the shot didn't really help. Her lungs were underdeveloped, but what MM is saying must be true because she only stayed in the hospital for 19 days. She would have been a whopper because at 32 weeks, she weighed 4lbs, 10 oz.

I wish you, dh, & Liam the best. Get your rest, your little man will be here soon.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

It must be rough being in bed all day, but at least you and him are constantly being monitored and before you know it you will be holding Liam in your arms.

15. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 27, 2011

Those steroids tend to be for extreme premature babies. Not ones that are born almost to term.